This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stars, Genius, and Making Scenes

mbjerk

Tremendous imagination does seem to help performers take and hold the audience's attention -- often it's people whose fantasy-lives take up so much room they don't have great judgment about daily life, or about how "the world' would react to their opinions or associates... I remember reading in Fonteyn's memoirs how much she enjoyed being around Genet, but how tricky it was, because he was always on the run from the police.....

Surely Allegra Kent belongs on this thread......

I didn't mean it that way - -I don't think she ever did "make a scene" but she doesn't have to. She is really kind of out-of-this-world on a daily basis..... from the little bit I've seen of her in real life...... No wonder Balanchine kept her on the payroll even when she wasn't dancing more than once a year...

She is a very great artist, I think -- with tremendous internal contradictions that she's always having to work to reconcile, which makes her self-absorbed in a totally forgivable way. I find myself more fascinated by the clips I've seen of her dancing than by almost ANYBODY else's -- the Midsummer Night's Dream pas de deux, for example, or the snatches of her in Agon, and WHAT wouldn'tI give to see her do Symphony in C -- because of hte power of her absorption in the music, the instinctive rightness of her timing, and also by some way she has of making me feel like I'm about to understand the meaning of life