This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dance in America -- what would you like to see?

I think the point of Dance in America was meant to be dance in . . . well, America. :) At the time it was born, PBS showed other dance programs from companies outside the U.S. more frequently than they do now. For that matter, I don't remember the last time there was a new edition of Dance in America. :)

There are some state owned PBS stations that take programming into their own hands... I know that the station in North Carolina- WUNC, I think, has filmed and offered broadcasts of Carolina Ballet, as well as NC School of the Arts. As far as I know, all of the filming was done in Winston-Salem. Maybe they air broadcasts once a year- I am not sure.

When it comes to programming for public broadcasting, the 5,000-pound gorilla we've all been ignoring is the fact that it is driven not by "what is interesting" but by "what attracts money and viewers." A revival of "Dance in America," for instance, will require an advance commitment from one or more corporate underwriters; no broadcaster can afford to produce a series "on spec."

Then there are the consultants who point out that three tenors always outdraw a dozen ballerinas. The problem with aubri's plea for companies that most people haven't heard of is that most people won't watch a company they haven't heard of, even if they'd enjoy it greatly if they happened to tune in.

It's important to keep trying, but it will take time and luck to get more dance on TV.