This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Miyako Yoshida

Tracey

I booked tickets back in May for Don Q, Royal Ballet at the ROH, having taken from Darcey Bussell's website that she was dancing. I've just rechecked and she's been taken out of Don Q and replaced with Yoshida (still with Jonathan Cope).

I don't know anything about her and just wondered if anyone had any information about her, what she's like, strengths, weaknesses etc.

Tracey

I missed Yoshida with Jonathan Cope last year but they got some really excellent reviews, from my friends and the press. They're a bit of an unusual partnership but I remember them mentioning how much energy and fun the two of them had. Miyako herself is a beautiful dancer with very strong, precise technique. Some critics think she isn't one of the strongest actors but I thought her Giselle was very expressive, one of my favourites. I wouldn't be disappointed. It's just a shame that she hasn't had more to do this season.

ive only seen mIyako dance once live, and on a few videos, but i can asure that she is an extremely special dancer.

She doesnt have any huge charismatic stage presence but she is extremely sweet and charming and is a good actress, very subtle but convincing. Her technique is a impecible and she is a supremely deliacte and graceful dancer.

Unfortunately shes been given very few roles this season, and it looks like the trend will continue next season so you are very lucky to have tickets to see her!

(and of course Johnathan cope is wonderful)

When is the performance? Where are you sitting?

Just a note, though you may already know this: On DVD/video (?) Yoshida can be seen dancing with Cope in the Act II pas de deux of Dowell's production of "The Nutcracker" for the RB.

Count me in as another Yoshida fan. The few times I've been lucky enough to see her she has always impressed me with the purity, grace, and elegance of her dancing. As others have mentioned, Yoshida's technique and dramatic expression are solid, yet subtle... I find it very beautiful! I'm sorry to hear that she hasn't been given many roles last season, or the one upcoming. I wish I could see more of her, but it looks like there won't be many chances (compounded by the fact that I'm in the U.S.).

At any rate, to Tracey and anyone else who attends, enjoy the performance of Don Q.!

I'm a great Miyako fan, although she might not be a favorite at the RB. I wasn't very impressed with her in the beginning but she "grew" on me. I've learned to appreciate her "subtlety," and she's an extremely strong dancer, technically. Her legs are extremely powerful for a Japanese dancer. She shines in the classics -- SL, SB, Nutcracker, etc. -- and she can be a very touching actress as well, esp. in Giselle and R+J.

Thanks for your replies - I'm looking forward to seeing her now. It appears that she's been given Don Q instead of Bussell as Don Q is now completely out of Bussell's schedule, so maybe with the new Artistic Director Mikayo will get more roles.

Jude - I'm going on 27th July for the evening performance and our seats are in the amphitheatre. We sat up there for Giselle a few months ago and it's a good view for not too much money! It looks like Alina Cojocaru is doing the matinee that day - I haven't seen her dance yet but would love to.

We've only just starting to go up to London for the ballet because we only get the ENB through Bristol maybe twice a year, and I love it so much I want more than that!!

Tracey

Tracey, it's because of the new director Ross Stretton that Miyako hasn't been dancing very much this year. The last director Anthony Dowell tended to distribute roles very evenly among the principal dancers. But that's a whole other discussion. I'm not very optimistic about next season because of all the MacMillan and she's not regarded as being suited to his ballets. But I guess the classics to look forward to like Swan Lake, and hopefully Sleeping Beauty. Maybe if she can last long enough for the Ashton centennary we'll see more of her. Maybe.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the performance. I hope yo get to see Alina and Johan in Don Q as well. Alina is really sparky and charming in this and she has a terrific partnership with Johan Kobborg.

Thanks Sylvia, I didn't realise that about Ross Stretton. I know there are concerns about the repertory that the RB will be doing under him.

I'll enjoy it all anyway because I'm one of those that just finds the whole experience magical! I'm looking forward to seeing more dancers in the future.