This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2002 Season wrap-up?

So we don't have City Ballet to watch until after Thanksgiving :(

Here are a few of my awards -

MVP - Wendy Whelan - for holding up more than her share of the repertory with both reliability and artistry.

That which does not kill us only makes us stronger - Jenifer Ringer for being cast enough to injure any dancer and only improving through all of it.

High Batting Averages - Janey Taylor, Nikolaj Hubbe and Jennie Somogyi for being at the top of their game.

Good things come to those who wait and wait and wait. . .congratulations to Rachel Rutherford on her promotion to soloist!

Tick Tick, Tick. . .When are they promoting Ansanelli to principal?

Single most memorable performance - Ansanelli's Friday Night Allegro Brillante in Winter Season. Just a stunner.

Unsung heroes - the entire corps.

Most missed now - Miranda Weese. Theme and Variations isn't the same without her. I'd also like to mention here a dancer who was just starting to acheive notice when she became injured and hope we see Kristin Sloan back onstage soon.

We'll miss them soon - I think the company may have a very different face in November than the one we see now. We've lost Alexopoulos, and there are other retirements (but I don't have a confirmed list in front of me). Meunier and Ritter have left (I hope both are appreciated in their new jobs) and so will others. I wonder what the company will look like when we see them again.

NYCB watchers, please chime in!

Originally posted by Leigh Witchel

We'll miss them soon - I think the company may have a very different face in November than the one we see now.  We've lost Alexopoulos, and there are other retirements (but I don't have a confirmed list in front of me).  Meunier and Ritter have left (I hope both are appreciated in their new jobs) and so will others.  I wonder what the company will look like when we see them again.

Say it ain't so! Ritter's leaving too? I've been out of town for a while so I must have missed the news. Where is he going? Wherever it is, it is their gain and NYCB's great loss. (I'm assuming that he's going to dance somewhere else and that he's not embarking on some entirely new carreer.) I've always particularly admired the clarity, musicality, and elegance of his dancing and will sorely miss his presence in future seasons. I thought he looked particularly good this season; he danced (wonderfully) in virtually every program that I saw, and I thought that his NYCB carreer might finally be picking up some long ovedue and well deserved traction. I wish him much success wherever he goes.

I pretty much agree with Leigh Witchel's comments and would add special kudos for Janie Taylor and Jeny Ringer.

I am also really looking forward to seeing the growth of some of the corps kids: namely, Ashley Bouder, Dana Hanson and Antonio Carmeno. Every time I've seen them dancing, they are dancing their little hearts out and are a joy to watch for their solid technique and musicality.

I'm also hoping that next season will bring more Balanchine ballets for them to grow in. (For me, the "pretzel" ballets of the Diamond Project don't allow for dancers to grow much.)