This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New/old La Bayadère at the Maryinsky

One week from now, on May 31, the Kirov Ballet will show its new production of Marius Petipa’s "La Bayadère", as an opener of the Stars of the White Nights Festival.

This production is reconstructing the choreography (based on the notations by Nikolai Sergeyev), the sets and costumes of the 1900 version of "La Bayadère". It also has the 4th Act, missing from the Russian versions since the Revolution, restored.

As with the earlier revivals of "The Sleeping Beauty" and "Petrushka" by the Maryinsky, the project is supervised by Sergei Vikharev.

Interesting to note that "La Bayadère" was created in 1877.

The new/old "Bayadère" will tour to New York in July and to Paris in October.

Thanks, Marc. I'll be attending; will you? You can send me private e-mail via private messages on this board.

My understanding is that Daria Pavlenko has been tapped to dance the premiere Nikiya & frequent-guest-from-Bolshoi, Nikolai Tsiskaridze, will be Solor. [Wowee...how could I be do lucky?! NT is DA BOMB...] Not quite sure who is dancing the first Gamzatti...do you know, Marc?

I'll be posting a full review here &, of course, look forward to exchanging opinions with all Alertniks who will be attending.

Also have tix for Manon, Corsaire, Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Vaganova Acad graduation plus Beauty at the Maly. Counting down to White Nights on the Neva...

Jeannie - Not a hundred percent sure for Tsiskaridze yet, it might be Igor Kolb instead - well, you'll know for sure when the curtain goes up :).

Gamzatti is supposed to be danced by Elvira Tarassova.

Choreography for Nikiya is allegedly little changed - Gamzatti and Solor are quite different.

You bet Alexandra!! Bi-continental sounds wonderful...I still have to pinch myself. Right now I'm in DC but leaving on Wednesday & will get my apartment key following weekend. More permanent move in autumn, if all goes as planned. Moving at the speed of light right now - no going back!

Thanks, Marc. I am *delighted* to hear that it *may* be Tarassova as Gamzatti. You know how much I admire her!! :) As you write, casting is not 100-percent sure until the blue-and-gold curtain rises. Even the printed programme is usually replete with errors.

It surprised me too, Marc, for that very reason. I originally heard Vishneva/Tsiskaridze. So, who knows? But apparently the big posters are up on the facade of the theater, according to friend who gets the tickets, and they cite Pavlenko as Nikiya and Tsiskaridze as Solor...I didn't ask her, but I'm sure it's Tarassova as Gamzatti, as you say.

No Golden Idol listed on the poster???? Well, that was a ca-1941 creation by Nikolai Zubkovsky (grand-dad of today's young character dancer by the same name)...but a lot of folks are disappointed. Other additions from the 1941 version (mainly by Vachtang Chabukiani & a few by K. Sergeyev) are also out. I heard that they're retaining the famous 'Solor variation' of Chabukiani, though (otherwise, there would be no bravura variation for the lead male, I suppose???).

This is going to be interesting.

NT is practically an adopted-son of the Mariinsky. He is wildly popular up north (as well as in Moscow & everywhere else he goes...only in Washington, DC 2000 was he underused..a really, really weird situation...not sure if it's the fault of the kennedy Center or the old Bolshoi administration?).

I would analyze the current, odd situation among the Mariinsky's own wonderful male dancers, vis-a-vis this premiere, but...I won't. Suffice it to say that, among the taller principals, Igor Zelensky is injured and Ilya Kuznetsov is slated to dance Des Grieux in 'Manon' two days after Bayadere, which makes him unavailable for this.