This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Glamorpusses!

When talking about Helene Alexopoulos' retirement, the thing many people mention about her was her beauty and her glamour. The Glamorpusses of the world are a lovely breed, and I think all of us have spotted a few of these stork-like creations wafting their way across the stage.

From Doubrovska and before on down to Kowroski, long live the Glamorpuss!

Anyone got some favorite Glamorpusses they'd like to mention? What makes that dancer so glamorous?

This isn't quite so easy for me to come up with as I thought. The Glamorpuss inhabits a subtle middle-ground, between the Bomb (Aesha Ash) and the Diva (Irina Dvorovenko).

I'd have to say that Tanaquil LeClerq has to be about the most glamorous dancer I can imagine, but that's not quite the same thing, is it? I'll have to ponder this a bit.

What a fun topic! Thanks Leigh.

NYCB has had so many glamorpusses, over the years, and I'm sure I'll keep thinking of examples after this posting. But for now, I'll list those who danced in the span of years that I was an audience member.

Patricia McBride in 'Rubies' and 'Tarantella'

Lourdes Lopez in 'Firebird'

Nina Fedorova as Madamoiselle Marrianne in 'Tricolor'

Maria Calegari in 'Union Jack'

Suzanne Freedman, Renee Estopinal, Judith Fugate in 'The Four Temperaments'

Karin Von Aroldingen in 'The Prodigal Son' (What woman wouldn't look glamorous in that costume?)

Kay Mazzo in 'Stravinsky Violin Concerto' (So simple, yet so glamorous!)

Kyra Nicols in 'In G Major' (Her heart could be felt at the very back of the house.)

Darci Kistler in 'Sonatine' (Gamorous in a serene and heavenly way.)

Last, but I'm sure not least:

Stephanie Seland in everything. Suzanne Farrell's part in 'Vienna Waltzes', 'Jewels' - Emeralds, 'Dances at a Gathering', 'Copellia' -Swanilda, Summer in 'The Four Seasons' and even the Pearlie Queen in 'Union Jack'.

I think each of these ladies has the gift of beauty and talent, but they also have a sense of chic that makes them so glamorous.

A correllation between Glamorpussdom and the ability to wear a hat can probably be statistically proven.

Karinska was a mistress of Glamorpuss hats - We've mentioned The Hat in the fourth movement of Western Symphony many a time, which seems to confer at least a temporary Glamorpussdom on its wearer. [This could be its own thread. . .great hats of ballet!] And I agree with Manhattnik that its original wearer and perfect combination of beauty and wit, Tanaquil LeClercq, was a Glamorpuss.

I think we're naming NYCB at first because I think Balanchine loved that type. But surely other companies are breeding grounds for Glamorpusses. I'll bet Paris Opera Ballet is rife with them. And there must be at least a few at the Kirov. Is Zakharova a Glamorpuss?

Lydia Abarca. Now that brings back memories. I'll never forget how she and Paul Russell brought down the house at the NY State Theater in Corsaire. That was when DTH could regularly fill the State Theater. Sigh.

Anyway, having just returned from seeing Nina Ananiashvili (or The Divine Eyebrows, as I have been known to call her) dance Aurora in ABT's Auroroa's Wedding, oops, Sleeping Beauty Act III, I can attest that hers is a most glamorous puss indeed.

What a great topic! I think LeClerq brought a glamour to ballet that was uniquely her own. I mean, what a package she had: gorgeous legs that went on forever, a swan-like neck, plus a wit and refinement that was her signature. Aside from the portraits and film clips of 'Western Symphony' and 'La Valse', I was blown away by a clip of her dancing 'Afternoon of a Faun' with Jacques d'Amboise. Just her presence was incredibly glamorous.

Suzanne Farrell was very glamorous in 'Diamonds', as was Makarova in 'Manon'. Zizi Jeanmaire was pretty glam too.

Melissa

From what I can see from video and photographs, Ghislaine Thesmar would definitely qualify.

I'd also nominate the only real ballerina/movie star we've had so far, Moira Shearer, if only for that green ballgown she wore in The Red Shoes.