This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring performances (not recitals)

No swan confusion here:

Since the NY Times doesn't put their regional news on line:( - I thought I'd post this here, plus I do admit that I have a vested interest, i.e., a dancer in it. :D

This was in Sunday's Westchester section of the NYT in the "Footlights" section:

'Swan Lake' for Westchester

Valentina Kozlova, a master teacher at the Scarsdale Ballet Studio, has long wanted to stage 'Swan Lake' in Westchester for the studio's International Ballet Project. Ms. Kozlova, who defected from Russia in 1979, danced the lead in the ballet for both the Bolshoi and the New York City Ballet.

Now she has her wish. She will again dance the dual roles of Odette and Odile next Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 3p.m., in a full-length production at Purchase College Dance Conservatory's Dance Theater Lab....Advanced students and graduates of the Scarsdale Ballet Studio will join her...Prince Siegfried will be danced by Andrei Jouravlev of the New Jersey Ballet..."

If any of you Westchesterites or Connecticut posters are interested it's 5/18 at 8pm abd 5/19 at 3pm. If so, you can call (914) 725-8754 for more info., and just think - you could even post your impressions right here on our safe haven of Discovering Ballet! :)

Are there other posters out there in cyberland who might like to let us know about performances that they think might be of interest?

I believe Nutmeg Ballet has one coming up soon, too.:)

Washington Ballet's Spring Concert for their top level students will be May 23, 7:00 at Schlessinger Theater on the Northern VA Community College Alexandria Campus. This will be a first time in this venue, and I have not seen it yet. We have been at Lisner Auditorium in downtown DC in the past. Anyway, there will be sections of La Bayadere, Act I and all of the Shades scene, a Vivaldi ballet by Lynn Cote, and a new work that I have done for my Level 6 class. It is Tartini's Trumpet Concerto in D major and I'm calling it Trombe che balla, (Dancing Trumpet). There will also be a modern work presented by each of the three levels in this performance.

Nutmeg Ballet will be presenting their spring program, a mixed bill of both classical and contemporary ballet, this weekend - Friday, May 17 @ 8:00 pm and Saturday, May 18 @2:00 and 8:00 pm. in Waterbury, CT in the Main Theater at the Northwestern Valley Regional Community College.

Among the dances being presented are variations from "Paquita", staged by Elena Tchernichova and Alexei Tchernichov, and "A Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra", choreographed by Scott Thyberg.

MOMIX will be performing some excerpts from their own repertoire. Additionally, "NutMix", as choreographed by Moses Pendleton with some of the Nutmeg dancers, will be presented.