This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jewels & Giselle

Guest luv2dance513

Guest luv2dance513

I recently saw Jewels and Giselle performed by SFB.

I do have to say that I was very disappointed by their performance in Jewels. Parts of it looked very much under-rehearsed. For example, the lines in the corps were not straight, or they dancers were not together. The night before I didn't get that much sleep because I was spending the night at a friends house (she took us for her birthday). Needless to say the next day we were very tired. Well, we went and saw Jewels and I almost fell a sleep a few times. Not because it was really boring it's just that they didn't keep me awake and excite me with a wonderful program. It was truly disapointing.

However, I saw Giselle as well just one week a go and they did impress me. It was a very good program and I think it's an altogether better ballet, because there is a story to follow, unlike Jewels. I was just wondering, have you ever been surprised like that? I was very surprised to see their unsatisfactory performance in Jewels. Have you ever been really disappointed like that?? I was very much because I was going there expecting to see a great ballet. Then, it was like SFB made a comeback with Giselle, and that surprised me as well because I wasn't expecting it to be great after I saw Jewels. Ok, that's all, please tell me what you think. :)

Well, Jewels is new to the company (except for "Rubies," which they've been performing for awhile) and very often when a demanding new work enters the repertory for the first time, there are plenty of kinks to be ironed out. This one may have had a few extra. :)

Also, your lack of initial enthusiasm may not have been caused by the performance only. Balanchine was a very great choreographer, but he wasn't Mr. Instantly Accessible. Sometimes he requires a little work. And if you're used to story ballets, that can make it harder. Keep trying!

I took a very bright ballet newbie to both ballets this season. Her reaction to Jewels was pleased but moderate. "Well, I guess I liked Rubies the best." We went back for Giselle, and she was, well, enraptured, especially with the second act. "I REALLY liked that! That was wonderful!" She said this several times.