This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vaganova Academy Graduation, 2018

The 2018 Vaganova Academy Graduation concerts at the Mariinsky (then on tour to Moscow) are under way! Who are this year’s stand-out graduates...future “zvezda material,” as we love to say on BA?

This year’s concert is in honor of -who else? - Petipa! This short Russian TV report shows clips from Burlaka’s stagings of his Flora’s Awakening Suite and a Suite from Ondine/Naiad and Fisherman

https://tvkultura.ru/video/show/brand_id/19725/episode_id/1817632/video_id/1898526/

Please post impressions and, if found, other links below. Academy rector Tsiskaridze is doing a great job, IMO, always respectful of the Imperial heritage.

I’ve watched very brief video clips of Maria Khoreva, Maria Petukhova and Maria Bulanova (lots of Marias, considering that I’m also quite attracted to the lovely airiness of the Mariinsky’s young Maria Iliushkina.). Some initial discussion can be seen here.

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/43874-khoreva-bulanova/?tab=comments#comment-402210

I once again agree with MadameP about the high quality of Maria Khoreva. I’m also rather attached to Maria Petukhova. She fits my dreamlike-and-flowing preference beautifully. She does look slightly overweight by today’s ballerina standards (based on a year old video clip), but I would think that she could lose a few pounds with no health detriment and be quite a stunner. I also find lovely lightness in the somewhat more animated style of Maria Bulanova. I do see very fine qualities in all these young artists.

Edited by Buddy
few words added for clarification
8 minutes ago, Quinten said:

It looks like the Vaganova Jubilee will be televised on Russian TV on June 19.  Here's a link to the Google-translated page (I couldn't find the original Russian language one for some reason, sorry.)  I hope it will be streamed on this website.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&sp=nmt4&u=https://tvkultura.ru/article/show/article_id/262205&xid=17259,15700019,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700186,15700190,15700201&usg=ALkJrhj_Av5-GZtz53OYUvBxaUERlJUpfw

Thanks, Quinten.

What a weird picture featuring Nikolai Tsiskaridze.  I never want to get into it, but more question marks remain over this man's head than I can express., But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Edited by Buddy
17 hours ago, Buddy said:

I never want to get into it, but more question marks remain over this man's head than I can express., But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

One judges a man by his deeds, not by his image in the (social) media.

I guess my honest feeling is that the faster he's out of there the better.

Please, someone, post some quotes as to how well he's doing his job. I would think that the faculty would have a lot more to do with the fine quality of the Vaganova.

As I said, I'd be glad to be proven wrong. But no one has come close to convincing me yet, and I've followed about as much of his behavior over the years as I can handle.

Added: On a more pleasant note, the quality of some of these young dancers is wonderful to see.

Edited by Buddy

Tsiskaridze oversees the whole of the running of Vaganova.  He coaches, teaches, rehearses, chooses repertory,is involved in the selection process of tis students and their examinations - he is involved in every aspect of Vaganova  The quality of its current crop of graduates is the direct result of this.  Bravo Tsiskaridze, I say!

I hope that you're right, MadameP, but I'm totally unconvinced.

Canbelto, if what MadameP says is true than this picture appears much less offensive. But, considering the controversy surrounding this man and his ego I would not have have let such a picture be taken no matter what the intent.

Again, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, in particular for the students' sake.

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction
10 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I don't know what's offensive about the picture in the first place. It's a rehearsal picture and it looks like the final act of swan lake.

A room full of students bowing down to Nikolai Tsiskaridze, Canbelto. 

Added: My opinions of this man are not of my own making. There remain many question marks about his behavior over the years.

Edited by Buddy
1 hour ago, MadameP said:

Tsiskaridze oversees the whole of the running of Vaganova.  He coaches, teaches, rehearses, chooses repertory,is involved in the selection process of tis students and their examinations - he is involved in every aspect of Vaganova  The quality of its current crop of graduates is the direct result of this.  Bravo Tsiskaridze, I say!

Absolutely, and add to that his efforts to raise the profile of the school by allowing them to appear abroad.  The 2017 Russian Icons gala in London was much enhanced by the performances of his young dancers.

3 hours ago, Buddy said:

I hope that you're right, MadameP, but I'm totally unconvinced.

Canbelto, if what MadameP says is true than this picture appears much less offensive. But, considering the controversy surrounding this man and his ego I would not have have let such a picture be taken no matter what the intent.

Again, I'd be glad to be proven wrong, in particular for the students' sake.

Buddy - it's a REHEARSAL photograph!!!  That's all!

4 hours ago, Buddy said:

A room full of students bowing down to Nikolai Tsiskaridze, Canbelto. 

Added: My opinions of this man are not of my own making.

That's the whole problem: your opinions are not of your own making. The photograph was most likely intended by a journalist to look provocative yet any ballet lover should immediately recognize that it comes from a rehearsal of the Valse of Snowflakes from the Nutcracker, a ballet danced by the Vaganova Academy every year.

Let this photo be what ever it is. I know how it effected me when I first saw it. My only real concern for the moment is how he treats the students. Let the rest of his 'saga' play out as it will, hopefully with justice and compassion.

7 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Let this photo be what ever it is. I know how it effected me when I first saw it. My only real concern for the moment is how he treats the students. Let the rest of his 'saga' play out as it will, hopefully with justice and compassion.

I do know this: the Vaganova grads since he took over have looked healthier, fuller-bodied, more muscular even, with toned calves and thighs, and stronger feet.