Jump to content
ABT Fan

2018 Romeo & Juliet

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Love how McKenzie blames her injury, which healed many years ago, for delaying her promotion.

So annoying. I assume Kourlas must know that his statement is complete BS (ballet is supposed to be a specialty of hers after all...), but just let it slide? 

Stella was so good this week as Pierrette. Hers is the only Juliet I'm seeing and it's usually a 3-per-week ballet for me. The casting combinations are underwhelming (Misty + Herman intrigues me, but of course the ticket prices are sky high). 
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/8/2018 at 8:52 PM, Inge said:

So annoying. I assume Kourlas must know that his statement is complete BS (ballet is supposed to be a specialty of hers after all...), but just let it slide? 

Stella was so good this week as Pierrette. Hers is the only Juliet I'm seeing and it's usually a 3-per-week ballet for me. The casting combinations are underwhelming (Misty + Herman intrigues me, but of course the ticket prices are sky high). 
 

I wish Stella would be partnered by David, as advertised in the posters.  Imagine those beautiful dancers together with their long endless lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Article (Kourlas, so it's very fluffy)  on Aran Bell's Romeo debut. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/arts/dance/aran-bell-romeo-and-juliet-american-ballet-theatre.html

Very bummed I'm going to miss this. While I haven't been particularly enamored of Bell's stage presence, his appearance in Harlequinade was notably more charismatic (perhaps a recent dose of confidence?) and most of the other casts are pretty unexciting. He looks great here. Not at all mismatched with the Teuscher, as I had initially feared. 

I was wondering...how many Romeos has ABT tried and dropped? Gorak and Hammoudi come to mind. 

Edited by Inge

Share this post


Link to post

Just curious, what role did Bell dance in Harlequinade?

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Just curious, what role did Bell dance in Harlequinade?

The unnamed friend who partners pierette

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Just curious, what role did Bell dance in Harlequinade?

Nothing extravagant. Just a henchman (I think) and then maybe a member of the court in Act II? He lost some of that awkward teen aura that's been sticking to him (probably because he's still a teen, to be fair). I realize that Romeo is a teenager, but Teuscher is so elegant I was worried it would require a very large suspension of disbelief. 

These past two weeks have been a blur, but his AFTERITE showing made an impression on me. Whoever is attending this week's matinee must bring us all reports! Pretty please :)

Edited by Inge

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Inge said:

I was wondering...how many Romeos has ABT tried and dropped? Gorak and Hammoudi come to mind. 

Those are the only ones I can think of from the past 10 years or so. I think Jared Matthews would have been an excellent candidate, had he stayed.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Inge said:

Article (Kourlas, so it's very fluffy)  on Aran Bell's Romeo debut. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/arts/dance/aran-bell-romeo-and-juliet-american-ballet-theatre.html

Very bummed I'm going to miss this. While I haven't been particularly enamored of Bell's stage presence, his appearance in Harlequinade was notably more charismatic (perhaps a recent dose of confidence?) and most of the other casts are pretty unexciting. He looks great here. Not at all mismatched with the Teuscher, as I had initially feared. 

I was wondering...how many Romeos has ABT tried and dropped? Gorak and Hammoudi come to mind. 

He’s just 19! Which I think i knew, but gosh he’s so young.

I didn’t think that article was too fluffy, it discussed his schooling and his debut, not his favorite yogurt.

If anyone sees his debut, please report!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I’m looking forward to Bell's debut as Romeo tomorrow as well as his Von Rothbart next week.  I saw him in both of his Harlequinade roles last week and like many others on BA, I have been watching him as a corps dancer since he was hired.  He seems to have a lot of “front row” corps roles this season, and I was hoping that he was being groomed for larger roles.   It never occurred to me that he’d get a Romeo. I wish Lendorf had not missed his Romeo along with the entire season, but at least Aran is getting a chance in a principal role. 

If Aran is anywhere near as good as corps dancer Harrison Coll's debut as Romeo (NYCB), then we've got a real up and comer in Aran.

Edited by NinaFan

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

He’s just 19! Which I think i knew, but gosh he’s so young.

I didn’t think that article was too fluffy, it discussed his schooling and his debut, not his favorite yogurt.

If anyone sees his debut, please report!

Denys Ganio, Aran’s  teacher in Europe, is the father of POB etoile Mathieu Ganio.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NinaFan said:

I’m looking forward to Bell's debut as Romeo tomorrow as well as his Von Rothbart next week.  I saw him in both of his Harlequinade roles last week and like many others on BA, I have been watching him as a corps dancer since he was hired.  He seems to have a lot of “front row” corps roles this season, and I was hoping that he was being groomed for larger roles.   It never occurred to me that he’d get a Romeo. I wish Lendorf had not missed his Romeo along with the entire season, but at least Aran is getting a chance in a principal role. 

If Aran is anywhere near as good as corps dancer Harrison Coll's debut as Romeo (NYCB), then we've got a real up and comer in Aran.

If Bell knocks it out of the park (& I think he will), I hope this means more fun casting surprises in the future. Even if he's wobbly here and there, it will be exciting to witness the beginning of something! It's a well sold performance, so I'm sure the energy will be great. 

I'm more upset about missing this than I was the Hallberg/Osipova SuperGiselle. 

And I could be totally wrong, but is this Gabe Stone Shayer's debut as Mercutio? If I weren't going to Alvin Ailey on Fri, I would have bought tickets to the Seo/Stearns performance just to see him. 
 

Edited by Inge

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Inge said:


And I could be totally wrong, but is this Gabe Stone Shayer's debut as Mercutio? If I weren't going to Alvin Ailey on Fri, I would have bought tickets to the Seo/Stearns performance just to see him. 
 

Yes, his Met debut. He performed this first on tour a few months ago, I think that was in Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post

Because of my work schedule, I have been attending Tuesday evening performances.  It was a wonderful show last night.  Juliet is probably a better vehicle for Misty.  Herman was a heartthrob Romeo, and teamed up with Cirio as Mercutio and Gorak as Benvolio, it made for a very entertaining evening.  There was a mishap during the crypt scene.  I didn't see it, but one of the monks fell from above.  I am not sure if it was when they were descending the stairs or just at the entrance.  He was there throughout the whole scene, apparently.  (All of this I heard after from some of the dancers.)  When it came time for bows, we were wondering what was happening because there were no open curtain bows.  They did two sets of page bows instead.

I always find the storytelling of R&J somewhat weak and that bothers me.  Nevertheless, I am hoping to see Hallberg on Saturday night, if I can make it.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Is this why there were no open curtain bows? I was there on Tuesday evening, too, and it was puzzling to me. I don't think I've ever seen this happen before.

Yes, Juliet is a good role for Misty (and for Hee Seo, too, by the way). I thought Misty, and Herman, were great last night.

Share this post


Link to post

Bell was a bit diffident this afternoon at the beginning, but a switch was flipped in the Balcony Scene

and he took command of the role and the stage from then on. A splendid first realization in NYC for him

of a very tricky role. Bravo!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Aran Bell was amazing. Such command of the stage. Born to play Romeo I thought. Devon was bland as Juliet, not feeling the role at all, though her technique was above reproach. 

Edited by Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

How was Devon’s upper body flexibility? Some found it lacking in Bayadère.

I don’t imagine her as a Nikiya or Juliet, though I’ve found her quite good in many other roles.

Edited by nanushka

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Devon’s upper body flexibility was fine. What was lacking was a sense of abandon, or surrender. I mean, her Romeo was this tall, dashing Aran Bell who seemed completely in love her, and yet she seemed to feel nothing.   She went through the movements without expressing emotion. I think it’s her first time dancing Juliet so hopefully her interpretation will be more convincing next time. 

Edited by Rick

Share this post


Link to post

Did anyone get a chance to see Gillian Murphy's Juliet?  I know is the past that hasn't been one of her "signature" roles but i was wondering if it maybe got better this year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Rick said:

Devon’s upper body flexibility was fine. What was lacking was a sense of abandon, or surrender. I mean, her Romeo was this tall, dashing Aran Bell who seemed completely in love her, and yet she seemed to feel nothing.   She went through the movements without expressing emotion. I think it’s her first time dancing Juliet so hopefully her interpretation will be more convincing next time. 

Perhaps they were a little mismatched. I was wondering if Bell's youth would make it difficult for Teuscher to connect with him romantically. Maybe her brand of more muted elegance doesn't gel as well with Juliet, or it was just first-time jitters. 

Since Bell's debut was so successful, it would be fun to see him with another young corps member next year. Paulina Waksi does look like Olivia Hussey from the Zeffirelli version, just saying. (or Hurlin maybe?)

I'm also curious about Shayer & Ribagorda. Although Juliet goes through the ballet's real character arc, 'the boys' have all the best choreography. Bell, Shayer & Ribagorda seem like a dream team. 

Edited by Inge

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw Boylston and Halberg.  Her Juliet is one of my new favorite in recent years.  She complete innoncence ans captures Juliet’s youth so perfectly.  She surenders herself to the role.

 

In act 3, she was devastated and confused, physically running into stuff in her desolation.  Love them!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rick said:

Devon’s upper body flexibility was fine. What was lacking was a sense of abandon, or surrender. I mean, her Romeo was this tall, dashing Aran Bell who seemed completely in love her, and yet she seemed to feel nothing.   She went through the movements without expressing emotion. I think it’s her first time dancing Juliet so hopefully her interpretation will be more convincing next time. 

I must respectfully disagree with this description of Devon's characterization. I thought it was a triumph and that she and Bell show the makings of a wonderful partnership. Even from the Dress Circle I could read her emotive body language and the very thing I did think she showed was abandon and passion. They had a palpable chemistry. It was the most moving R&J I've seen at ABT in a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post

Bell/Teuscher R&J - What a spectacular performance!  Bell is a natural born Romeo with his boyish good looks, but that is just the icing on the cake.  His dancing, emotion and acting were exquisite!  I loved him from the moment he walked out on the stage to mess around with his two buddies.  He has wonderful chemistry with Devon who was a glorious and very lovely Juliet.   Like Bell, Devon shows great emotion in her acting.  They were so convincing that I could not stop myself from crying during the last scene which was extremely heartbreaking and beautiful.    

Gabe Shayer was a superb Mercutio, as were Luis Ribagorda as Benvolio and Hammoudi as Tybalt .  The entire supporting cast were really outstanding, which made for an exceptional performance.  The audience gave an immediate standing ovation and I was hoarse from screaming by the time we left.

The first time I saw Bell was when he guested in an Eglevsky Nutcracker when he was about 13 or 14.  He danced a number of different roles, and at the end of the performance they had a Q&A with the dancers.  My husband and I were able to move up to the front row for the Q&A.  Aran seemed so shy!  We knew he was going to become an extraordinary dancer someday, and feel privileged to have attended his first major role at ABT. 

We’re looking forward to his Von Rothbart next week, but really can’t wait to see him cast in more lead roles! 

I certainly hope Kevin promotes Aran and Gabe to soloist in the next few weeks.   Gabe is way overdue, and Aran has already proven that he needs to be fast tracked.

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×