This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

9 hours ago, dirac said:

My guess is Kathleen is right. Which is too bad, because the older Nutcracker is readily available any number of other ways.

"Older Nutcracker"?  The 1993 Warner Brothers production was well-liked for Darci Kistler's "Sugar Plum", Kyra Nichols's "Dewdrop" (worth the price in the day, just in itself; the most authentic dancing in the whole show, IMHO) and Emil Ardolino's sensitive and sympathetic direction.  The relatively recent 2011 PBS production was put to shame, in my experience, just a week later, by Villella's MCB's version, in Ft. Lauderdale.  (When you could get a good idea of the dancing at all, what with the interfering camera-work in the later one.)

Older than that?  (Any with Balanchine's "Drosselmeier"?  Just for kicks.  It's things like Villella's "Candy Canes" in one from the '50s deserves to be seen.) 

Edited by Jack Reed

Yes, the older Nutcracker was released in the nineties, and the relatively new DVD with Fairchild, et al. is of much more recent vintage. My point was that it's a lot easier to find footage of the older version without buying the DVD. (I wasn't referring to quality, although I was disappointed in the feature film despite the pedigree and good intentions of all involved. Maybe if Mr. B had still been around to supervise things.....)