dirac

Friday, May 25

Willy Shives, the artistic director of Ballet San Antonio, has left the company.

The announcement comes in the wake of complaints of verbal and mental abuse from former company members...........

Orlando Ballet makes plans for a new headquarters.

Longwood philanthropist Harriett Lake, a devotee of the ballet for decades, donated $5 million to jump-start the project. The headquarters will significantly alter the landscape of the Loch Haven Park–Lake Formosa area, a few blocks east of Orange Avenue north of downtown Orlando.

A review of American Ballet Theatre by Marina Harss for DanceTabs.

After a week of Giselle, during which Natalia Osipova and David Hallberg had their much-awaited re-match, the company began its season in earnest on May 21, with a spring gala that included two new works and excerpts from a third. A word on that starry Giselle, which took place, after much expectation, on May 18: Osipova, now based at the Royal Ballet in London, danced excitingly, spectacularly. She has an uncanny ability to project herself across space, both vertically and horizontally, apparently without effort. She is astonishing; her legs should be studied by scientists. How does she do it? Her diagonal of hops in Act I made the Met stage look small. In the series of backward-traveling jumps in the second act, people actually began clapping in time – you almost couldn’t help it.

A review of Boston Ballet by Jeffrey Gantz in The Boston Globe.

Boston Ballet is concluding this season with an August Bournonville bill anchored by the title ballet, which the Danish master created in 1836. “La Sylphide” is a dark tale of love and revenge, and though it’s one of the oldest classics in the ballet repertory, it’s also one of the most psychologically complex and rewarding. But its two acts run just over an hour, so the company is fleshing out the program with a set of “Bournonville Divertissements.” Thursday at the Boston Opera House, Misa Kuranaga was a fabulous Sylphide, but she had to share honors with María Álvarez as Madge.

Roberto Bolle is featured in a new ad campaign.

For its latest campaign, Tod’s recruited Bolle to star in their summer ads alongside Kendall Jenner. The campaign features the two on an Italian coastal getaway, with fluffy puppies, shots of the sea, and oh-so-luxurious clothes. Scroll below to see more shots.

Dancers from Miami City Ballet and New York City Ballet appear at the 2018 Spoleto Festival USA.

It was indeed a celebration on the opening night of Spoleto Festival 2018 as dancers from the Miami City Ballet and New York City Ballet presented "Celebration: The Art of the Pas de Deux," an homage to the life and work of Jerome Robbins in what would be his centennial year. Moderated by the gracious Lourdes Lopez, artistic director of the Miami City Ballet, the evening included three of the Robbins' most revered dances interspersed with film, photographs and reminiscences of his career as a ballet and Broadway choreographer.

Q&A with Brittany Pollack on "Carousel."

I understand that you met with the original Louise, Bambi Linn, who is now 92 years old!

I did! She came to New York to see the show with her family and then I went out to lunch with her after the performance and she was amazing. She was 92-years-old and she had more energy than me! And she told me so many stories about working on the original production and working with Agnes DeMille, the choreographer for the original show. And we laughed a lot, we shared a lot of similar experiences and talked a lot about what it's like dancing in the ballet. She also told me that she got a little emotional watching the show because it brought back so many memories. And it surprised me to learn that she had not seen a production of Carousel since she had done it, so it had been a really long time since she had last seen the show.