dirac

Wednesday, May 16

Miami City Ballet founder and patron Toby Ansin asks a court for permission to write unflattering things about Edward Villella.

It’s Ansin’s second attempt at getting a legal opinion on the matter to ward off a defamation lawsuit. She sued in federal court last year and U.S. District Judge Cecilia Altonaga dismissed the case.

This time, Ansin filed in Miami-Dade County, where for decades she has been one of the highest-profile patrons of the arts.

Adam Kittelberger will retire from Rochester City Ballet.

While Rochester City Ballet was formed in 1987, the company didn’t become an official organization or sign contracts with dancers until 2005. Kittelberger signed on with a group of three other dancers that year, making him a founding member of the company. And while the rest have moved on to other places through the years, Kittelberger stayed.

An interview with Melissa Hamilton.

Jiri Bubenicek , a senior principal dancer in the Semperoper company, was about to retire in 2015. He had seen Melissa dance in a gala, and asked whether she would be his Manon for his final performances as Des Grieux in Dresden. Discussions with both companies’ artistic directors took place. It was agreed that Melissa should join the company for a year so that she could dance leading roles in their productions. ‘They had ballets in their rep. that I really wanted to do, and I knew that it would take ages at the Royal Ballet before I got those roles. I wanted the chance to dance the classics before I felt overwhelmed by them. And Kevin [O’Hare] made it possible for me to come back.’

Former Miami City Ballet principal Isanusi García Rodríguez forges a new career following a stroke.

Rodríguez is a former Miami City Ballet principal dancer who suffered a stroke in 2012. He is unable to dance professionally, but in recovery he pushed himself to develop another passion — painting.

Oakland Ballet holds its annual spring gala.

The soiree on Saturday, May 19, is hosted in the historic chateau of Oakland’s Bellevue Club on the shore of Lake Merritt. Cocktails, hors d’oeuvres and a three-course meal accompany an intimate performance to showcase highlights from the company’s spring season, “Scene and Heard.”

A review of Northern Ballet by Zoe Anderson in The Independent.

[Dreda] Blow’s Jane feels an immediate but conflicted connection with Javier Torres’ charismatic Rochester. Slouched in his armchair, he stretches out a foot to bar her way, imperious but interested. Their duets are full of reversals, a complex power dynamic. One fluid move sees Jane swung up around his shoulders, but ends with Rochester stretched over her thighs.

James Ihde retires from Pennsylvania Ballet.

Ihde began as an apprentice in Philadelphia in 1993, moving up to the corps de ballet in 1995 and soloist in 2003. In his quarter century with the Pennsylvania Ballet, he has performed across the nation and internationally in hundreds of premieres, danced in more than 500 Nutcrackers and originated dozens of roles in numerous productions.

An interview with Isabella Boylston.

“It’s evolved a lot, and I am so glad,” Boylston says. Referring to the years of the revolving door of international guest stars, she adds, “I am happy I got to work with Alina Cojocaru and Natalia Osipova. It made me a better dancer being around them, but it was not good for the morale of the company.” She shies away, for the first time, at saying anything more.