Sign in to follow this  
mnacenani

Petipa Gala

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The more I read about the so-called Petipa Galas/Tributes in Russia, the more I think that the grandest tribute of all is happening right here in the USA with Ratmansky’s reconstruction of Harlequinade at ABT. No bull - 100% Petipa.

Allow me to doubt it (your last paragraph)

Moscow will have to wait until next year to have a proper celebration of Petipa, when the Ekaterinburg ballet brings Yuri Burlaka's wonderful recon of Harlequinade for next year's Golden Mask.  (Recon made for Samara Ballet 4 years ago, because you know, there are people who don't go around "reconstructing" ballets that have already been reconstructed...) 

1 hour ago, Gnossie said:

...because you know, there are people who don't go around "reconstructing" ballets that have already been reconstructed... 

Because a reconstruction is a definitive act that cannot be redone, differently and perhaps better, by another?

There are people who don't go around doing lots of things, but that doesn't necessarily mean that others shouldn't do those things.

A reconstruction is based on research, which, even if exhaustive, still ultimately involves working with imperfect or incomplete sources. It is therefore an interpretive act and no one reconstruction of a ballet could be considered, in my opinion, final.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Because a reconstruction is a definitive act that cannot be redone, differently and perhaps better, by another?

I've never said that, just that I find amusing that Ratmansky only reconstructs things that have already been reconstructed (with only one exception)

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

It is therefore an interpretive act and no one reconstruction of a ballet could be considered, in my opinion, final.

Here, I absolutely AGREE with you.

1 hour ago, Gnossie said:

I've never said that, just that I find amusing that Ratmansky only reconstructs things that have already been reconstructed (with only one exception)

I took your quotation marks ("reconstructing") to suggest that, in Ratmansky's case, the work of reconstruction was not actually being done — or perhaps could not, since it had been done already. Apologies if I misunderstood. The reason I phrased my initial response as a question was to determine if that's what you meant.

3 hours ago, Gnossie said:

Allow me to doubt it (your last paragraph)

Moscow will have to wait until next year to have a proper celebration of Petipa, when the Ekaterinburg ballet brings Yuri Burlaka's wonderful recon of Harlequinade for next year's Golden Mask.  (Recon made for Samara Ballet 4 years ago, because you know, there are people who don't go around "reconstructing" ballets that have already been reconstructed...) 

ABT’s Harlequinade recon will be just that. No Balanchines or contemporary choreographies on the same program, as in all of the Petipa “tributes” at the Bolshoi, Stanislavsky, Mariinsky. 

39 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

ABT’s Harlequinade recon will be just that. No Balanchines or contemporary choreographies on the same program, as in all of the Petipa “tributes” at the Bolshoi, Stanislavsky, Mariinsky. 

Ahhhhhhh, I hadn't understand it that way! 

At any rate, Balanchine has a more legitimate claim to be part of a Petipa gala than, say, Wheeldon or Maliphant....

On 5/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, Gnossie said:

Finally, when will Guerin and Ferri stop embarrassing themselves!?, that's it, its over, retire with dignity!

It's ironic that the list of "world ballet stars" invited by Vaziev includes Friedemann Vogel (b. 1979), Marcelo Gomes (b. 1979), Lucia Lacarra (b. 1975), Manuel Legris (b. 1964), Alessandra Ferri (b. 1963) and Isabelle Guerin (b. 1961), while within the Bolshoi Vaziev has demoted Maria Alexandrova (b. 1978), Maria Allash (b. 1976) and Nina Kaptsova (b. 1978), driven out Dmitry Gudanov (b. 1975) and is doing his level best to sideline company dancers who are in their mid to late thirties by giving them too little to do.

Clearly, Makhar Vaziev has no problem with experienced/semi retired/ retired dancers as long as they're not Bolshoi legends, if you are a Bolshoi legend (and over 36 years of age) then you're blacklisted. 

The destruction of the muscovite tradition. 

On May 16, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Drew said:

At any rate, Balanchine has a more legitimate claim to be part of a Petipa gala than, say, Wheeldon or Maliphant....

Why is Apollo in a nuryevev gala with his Sb and dq

15 minutes ago, Vs1 said:

Why is Apollo in a nuryevev gala with his Sb and dq

This was addressed to me, so I’ll respond:

I didn’t design the gala you are referring to, so I can’t speak for the organizers. I can say that Nureyev did dance Balanchine’s Apollo, and if you go to the Nureyev Foundation website they describe it as an important ballet to his career that he danced, in their words, “continuously” from 1967 through to his final Nureyev and Friends tour in 1991  — I am on a tablet and can’t do the link, but a search will turn it up easily enough. It wouldn’t surprise me if that is one reason Apollo would be included in a Nureyev gala.

Edited by Drew

Sign in to follow this