This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 Giselle

On 5/20/2018 at 3:21 PM, Vs1 said:

Cuban I counted 34-38 and the woman next to me said 42 but she is incorrect. Faux pas they added music this time which someone confirmed  

Kent Becker of Ballet Focus reported 36. 

On a light note, I took a non-balletomane friend to see Giselle twice this year and once before.  He said " I don't think that that Devon Tushy ( his pronunciation) can ever be as icy and good as that Gillian as Mertha.  She is so killer.  I love her facial expressions."

he snored through Romeo literally but loved manon so I have to be careful.

Now he can't stop talking about how great Gillian was and making me put on swan lake videos so he can dance.  Which I can't decide if everyone should see for a laugh.

Ba should invite Pres. Trump to see the ballet after his disapproving comparison of boxing to ballet today.

Found a review on Bolle/Seo on May 19,  the author claimed that "at one moment Bolle dropped his ballerina when she was set to exit on stage left. From what I could tell, the pair crashed into the wing." https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/BWW-Review-ABTs-Staging-of-GISELLE-Offers-Superb-Dancing-but-Misses-the-Mark-During-the-Iconic-Mad-Scene-20180520

Excuse me? Did she have eye sight problem? Roberto Bolle probably doesn't care, but it doesn't give her the right to state falsehood!!  Can't believe they call themselves "critics"!  I wrote to broadwayworld.com and gave them a piece of my mind and truth 😎

2 hours ago, Outside said:

Found a review on Bolle/Seo on May 19,  the author claimed that "at one moment Bolle dropped his ballerina when she was set to exit on stage left. From what I could tell, the pair crashed into the wing." https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/BWW-Review-ABTs-Staging-of-GISELLE-Offers-Superb-Dancing-but-Misses-the-Mark-During-the-Iconic-Mad-Scene-20180520

Excuse me? Did she have eye sight problem? Roberto Bolle probably doesn't care, but it doesn't give her the right to state falsehood!!  Can't believe they call themselves "critics"!  I wrote to broadwayworld.com and gave them a piece of my mind and truth 😎

I still can't really grasp what happened. They were EXTREMELY close to the wings when he took her up and down right away for her to keep running. Now...this is a very fast sequence. It must look as if Albrecht just grabbed Giselle's essence for a split of a second. Usually dancers don't do much but up and down, but I believe Bolle tried to turn right after putting Seo down and he stood on her way by doing so...? I also think she might exited using the same wing exit where Roberto stood after putting her down. It was very confusing...and fast. But he CERTAINLY didn't drop her.

I was watching through my binoculars, yes it was very fast, but I didn't see that he stood in her way. He put her down and she continued her fast running to the side, then I heard a thud but I didn't see her fall. I was sitting at the 1st row of the grand tier, fairly center (my own seat was to the side, but there was an empty seat so I sat in it for act II), the fact I didn't see her trip and fall, to me, means that she did it while in the wing, at the same time, he was standing on the stage. In any event, it was an accident, and she danced beautifully after that 👍 He didn't drop her and they didn't crash into the wing together. 

3 hours ago, Outside said:

I was watching through my binoculars, yes it was very fast, but I didn't see that he stood in her way. He put her down and she continued her fast running to the side, then I heard a thud but I didn't see her fall. I was sitting at the 1st row of the grand tier, fairly center (my own seat was to the side, but there was an empty seat so I sat in it for act II), the fact I didn't see her trip and fall, to me, means that she did it while in the wing, at the same time, he was standing on the stage. In any event, it was an accident, and she danced beautifully after that 👍 He didn't drop her and they didn't crash into the wing together. 

I was sitting in the orchestra on the right side.  I could see something protruding in the area where she tripped  during the entire second act, even before she tripped.  In fact, the protrusion was so obvious I thought to myself that someone was bound to trip on that before the show is over.  Sure enough, several minutes later Hee tripped. The protrusion appeared to be part of the set.   Her accident had nothing to do with Bolle.

3 hours ago, abatt said:

I was sitting in the orchestra on the right side.  I could see something protruding in the area where she tripped  during the entire second act, even before she tripped.  In fact, the protrusion was so obvious I thought to myself that someone was bound to trip on that before the show is over.  Sure enough, several minutes later Hee tripped. The protrusion appeared to be part of the set.   Her accident had nothing to do with Bolle.

It sounds reminiscent of that time when Vishneva exited stage right in Romeo and Juliet, there was an audible crash, and then when she reemerged onstage her dress was torn. (I think it was the exit after she runs around her bedroom with the green shawl.) I believe the prie-dieu had been placed improperly and may have gotten in her way. Or she exited in the wrong place.

I wonder what could have gotten in Seo's way. It's the exit that's furthest downstage, correct? There shouldn't really be anything over there except the drops, if I remember correctly. Maybe one of Myrta's myrtle branches felled Seo?

Edited by fondoffouettes
5 hours ago, Vs1 said:

why would he not care? He is very particular about his image

I am just guessing given his status in international ballet and at this stage of his career. Dropping your partner is probably a cardinal sin that a male dancer can commit, but Bolle has such a solid reputation as one of the best partners, so I don't think that many believe Forsyth's statement. I am just a fan, it bothers me more, I can't tolerate "alternative fact" 😪

Edited by Outside