This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello All!

My name is Leo, I live in LA and I've been an avid Ballet goer for ~20 years. That being said, ballets are few and far between here and good companies are rare visitors. ABT pays a visit annually and more if i'm willing to travel an hour south to the Orange County Performing Arts Center (OCPAC), where ABT recently opened a JKO School satellite. It's also the home of ABT's Nutcracker residence. Colleen Neary's LA Ballet has good moments, but principal losses have turned it into a vehicle for Guest Ballerinas. Not that I'm upset that Petra Conti and Misa Kurananga are here on occasion, but since their website doesn't post casting, buying a ticket feels like dropping $100 coins into a slot machine. There are great moments here, though. Diana Vishneva, The Eifman, and the Mariinsky companies are fairly regular to OCPAC. 

I grew up dancing Salsa and, at my zenith, was a decent intermediate dancer. Although Salsa as a discipline is a JOKE compared to classical ballet, it did intimately inform me of what my body was capable of doing. This small bit of knowledge has made me appreciate the WONDER that professional ballet dancers become and how difficult it really is to make torturously difficult and intricately complex choreography look effortless. I stare in awe of corps members and the strength, concentration and dedication they posses to express their art at that level. 

I'm happy to find a place where others think the same way!