Sign in to follow this  
dirac

Tuesday, May 1

Warren Carlyle stages excerpts from Jerome Robbins' Broadway work on New York City Ballet.

Mr. Carlyle said he had tried to put in as little of his own choreography as possible. “My role is to celebrate Jerome Robbins,” he said, adding that he had to create transitions between sections and choreography where some of the Robbins material has been lost. One of the lost fragments is the Times Square ballet from “On the Town,” which Mr. Carlyle has used in the finale, in what he described as a “mash-up of choreography.”

Diablo Ballet presents "The Red Shoes."

The work features a score by famed composer Philip Glass and costumes (including red shoes, of course) designed by Oakland native Cassidy Haley, a Los Angeles musician and designer  who has created outfits for Pink and Fergie.

Houston Ballet holds its annual 'Raising the Barre' dinner.

Before the four-course meal concluded, co-chairs Elizabeth and Charlie Leykum and Elisa and Cris Pye hit their mark by raising more than $80,000, thanks in-part to a matching gift from the Cullen Trust for the Performing Arts.

A review of the final two programs of San Francisco Ballet's "Unbound" festival by Rita Felciano for danceviewtimes.

The Festival’s Grand Finale — depending on your perspective — was the high energy, low interest “Bjork Ballet” by Arthur Pita. Last year he horrified/delighted the audience with his “Salome.” The new work partly masked, partly undressed the dancers in Marco Morante's spectacle costumes. Good to see was the short solo for the departing Principal Maria Kotchekova who, later dressed in tinsel and feathers, was carried out like a trophy. The Andres/Ingham couple performed a limb-curling number; Sarah Patten/Birkkjaer a slightly more sensuous one. Neither warrants rescheduling.......

An interview with Megan Fairchild.

She explains that her plans include, “Going to acting classes, doing a French immersion course in Bordeaux and teaching at a lot of ballet summer programs. In the next six years I will be attending Stern at NYU to get my MBA so that by the time I am done dancing I have a great degree to catapult me into a totally different career. In the end I would still like to work for a ballet company, but in an executive director capacity.”

Sign in to follow this