This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Simone Messmer in Chicago May 5, 2018 and over the summer

I've lately posted a HeadsUp! regarding Ballet Chicago Studio Company's annual Spring show in the Harris Theater:

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/43723-ballet-chicago-may-5-2018-duell-seymour-balanchine-with-simone-messmer-mcb/?tab=comments#comment-399253

It's not been announced, but I expect her Siegfried to be Ted Seymour, who danced with TSFB and who teaches at Ballet Chicago - where, incidentally, I gather Messmer herself will be teaching (and, we hope, maybe dancing?) over the summer.

Let's see how many of her fans are rabid enough to make the trip from Florida!  (Only two performances, though, but if late Nineteenth-Century and Mid-Century modern architecture are of any interest, there's still some of that in the Chicago area.)

On 4/27/2018 at 4:42 PM, Jack Reed said:

Let's see how many of her fans are rabid enough to make the trip from Florida!  (Only two performances, though, but if late Nineteenth-Century and Mid-Century modern architecture are of any interest, there's still some of that in the Chicago area.)

Is Florida near California?  And what's a Chicago? Rabid enough, yes. Rich enough, no.

Chicago is indeed a textbook of 'modern' architecture. One of the most interesting examples is the early 16 floor Monadnock Building with *six feet deep* masonry walls at  ground level. The suburb of Oak Park is a Frank Lloyd Wright museum.

Florida, but the way, boasts Miami’s Zaha Hadid's One Thousand Museum skyscraper. Photo top left. the last time that I checked. Much of the other stuff shown is yet unbuilt or unbuildable. All this is probably quite fine in Miami but especially where I live, Southern California where reality doesn't exist.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/297659856603642800

Uhr, uhm, and yes -- back to Topic. 

Added thought:

All this comes back, maybe, to a Simone Messmer, who can slip out there somewhere and with her mental and physical agility create something compelling and beautiful.

Edited by Buddy

San Francisco had Messmer for one fine season – and, since the 1890s, two Burnham and Root buildings. Both survived the earthquake and fire of 1906, except that the Chronicle building (now the de Young) lost its massive Florentine tower, and in the sixties was covered in a pseudo-modernist curtain wall which was happily removed 10 years ago. The Mills Building has a recognizably Chicagoan arch composed of acanthus leaves and a great, and a little crazy, distribution of window openings.

Of Chicago, I remember the Palmer House, the Inland Steel building, Sullivan's beautifully ornamented Carson Pirie and Scott department store, and the campus Mies van der Rohe designed in the 1940s where I took classes. Chicago is the city of great American architecture, always way ahead of New York (at least until Bruce Graham of SOM retired).

Southern California where reality doesn't exist. 

Celebrity is the reality of LA. Like when you see a movie star shopping late at night at a grocery store and everyone lights up and then discreetly turns to each other (who they wouldn't talk to otherwise) and says, "isn't he looking great?".

Edited by Quiggin
On 8/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, Jack Reed said:

Just a footnote - Messmer did come and is teaching here but will not perform.  (Aw, shucks.)  But evidently, she's finally got a home - a place she's happy with - in MCB.  I'm glad for her.

Thanks, Jack. I’m glad too that she’s happy at MCB and also wish that I could see her a lot more than I have. I’ve only had glimpses of what she’s capable of, which is pretty amazing, and look forward to the day when I can see a completely developed performance. Many actually.