Posted (edited)

At the Bolshoi Theatre and the Kremlin, Vaganova-trained Bolshoi dancers Svetlana Zakharova, Olga Smirnova Yulia Stepanova, Yevgenia Obraztsova, Eleanor Sevenard Mikhail Lobukhin, and Igor Gerashchenko will participate in performances of Paquita with Vaganova students.  The program can be found here: https://www.jubilee-vaganova.ru/bolshoj-teatr  Ziganshina and Kovalyova are notably missing from the lineup.

Eleanor and Igor danced the principal parts for their graduation performance, but surely that honor will go to Zakarhova and Lobukhin?  i wonder who will dance which variations? the pas de trios?  

For those who missed the graduation performance: 

Edited by Quinten

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Quinten said:

You have any insider info re when this year's graduation performances at Mariinka will take place ? They still haven't posted the playbill for June !

PS - I saw last year's graduation performance at Mariinka : the Paxita third act was in my view better than the one at the full Paxita I saw the next day.

Edited by mnacenani

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Quinten said:

At the Bolshoi Theatre and the Kremlin, Vaganova-trained Bolshoi dancers Svetlana Zakharova, Olga Smirnova Yulia Stepanova, Yevgenia Obraztsova, Eleanor Sevenard Mikhail Lobukhin, and Igor Gerashchenko will participate in performances of Paquita with Vaganova students.  The program can be found here: https://www.jubilee-vaganova.ru/bolshoj-teatr  Ziganshina and Kovalyova are notably missing from the lineup.

Eleanor and Igor danced the principal parts for their graduation performance, but surely that honor will go to Zakarhova and Lobukhin?  i wonder who will dance which variations? the pas de trios?  

Looks delightful, Quinten. Thank you. Would really have liked to have seen Xenia Ziganshina and especially Alyona Kovalyova listed as well. There seems to be a nice good will even among the company 'transplants.' Svetlana Zakharova has always seemed to be welcomed back at the Mariinsky for performances and at least once, it appeared, stepped in at the last minute when a Festival replacement was needed. Olga Smirnova made Mariinsky appearances almost immediately after moving to the Bolshoi.

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction

On 4/19/2018 at 4:16 AM, mnacenani said:

You have any insider info re when this year's graduation performances at Mariinka will take place ? They still haven't posted the playbill for June !

PS - I saw last year's graduation performance at Mariinka : the Paxita third act was in my view better than the one at the full Paxita I saw the next day.

No idea, sorry.

The Bolshoi website has published the program for the Vaganova Jubilee on June 19 at the Bolshoi.  https://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/9d4/9d4526431ca338eacaaa87c7219a624b.pdf  (There is a second performance at the Kremlin with possibly a different cast)

Here's the program for Act III featuring Vaganova alumni (except for Rodkin).  It's hard for me to tell which variations will be danced by whom because the attributions are to the original source, rather than to the familiar Paquita numbers.  If anybody knows which variation is which, or even better can point to videos of the individual variation that would be greatly appreciated!

GRAND PAS FROM THE BALLET PAQUITA

Music by Édouard Deldevez, Ludwig Minkus, Riccardo Drigo Choreography by Marius Petipa (1881)
Choreographic version and staging by Yuri Burlaka, Nikolai Tsiskaridze (2017) Costume design by Dmitry Paradizov

Performed by Paquita Svetlana Zakharova, Lucien d’Hervilly Denis Rodkin and students of senior classes
Polonaise and mazurka performed by pupils of junior classes and students of senior classes

Variations performed by

Oscar Frame 2017 graduate
(variation from the ballet Le Conservatorie
, music by H.S.Paulli)

Eleonora Sevenard 2016 graduate
(variation from the ballet Trilby
, music by Y.Gerber)

Alyona Kovalyova 2015 graduate
(variation from the ballet Le Roi Candaule
, music by C.Pugni)

Egor Geraschenko 2016 graduate
(variation from the ballet La Bayadere, music by L.Minkus)

Xenia Zhiganshina 2014 graduate
(variation from the ballet Gretna Green
, music by E.Guiraud)

Olga Smirnova 2011 graduate
(variation from the ballet Paquita
, music by L.Minkus)

Mikhail Lobukhin 2002 graduate
(variation from the ballet Don Quixote
, music by L.Minkus)

Yulia Stepanova 2009 graduate
(variation from the ballet The Little Humpbacked Horse
, music by C.Pugni)

Evgenia Obraztsova 2002 graduate
(variation from the ballet Le Pavillon d'Armide
, music by N.Tcherepnin)

Denis Rodkin (variation from the ballet La Source, music by R.Drigo)

Svetlana Zakharova 1996 graduate
(variation from the ballet La Sylphide
, music by R.Drigo)

18 minutes ago, Quinten said:

The Bolshoi website has published the program for the Vaganova Jubilee on June 19 at the Bolshoi.  https://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/9d4/9d4526431ca338eacaaa87c7219a624b.pdf  (There is a second performance at the Kremlin with possibly a different cast)

Thanks, Quinten. Good to see that Alyona Kovalyova and Xenia Zhiganshina have been added to the list. Quite a list, indeed. Sense any significant 'Vaganova-Mariinsky' content at the Bolshoi?  😊

Yet, the Bolshoi will always be the Bolshoi, I'm sure.

Sevenard and Zhiganshina were planned from the very beginning.

If anybody knows which variation is which, or even better can point to videos of the individual variation that would be greatly appreciated!

(...)

Eleonora Sevenard 2016 graduate
(variation from the ballet Trilby
, music by Y.Gerber)

(...)

Yulia Stepanova 2009 graduate
(variation from the ballet The Little Humpbacked Horse
, music by C.Pugni)

Evgenia Obraztsova 2002 graduate
(variation from the ballet Le Pavillon d'Armide
, music by N.Tcherepnin

These variations were performed in the graduation concert last year. Yulia Stepanova is dancing the variation of the Queen of Waters, last year danced by Maria Khoreva,

Yulia Spiridonova danced the variation from le Pavillon d'Armide,

Eleonora Sevenard. dances the same variation, from ballet Trilby, she did dance last year.

Here's the Pavillon d'Amide variation that Obraztsova will be dancing.  Anybody know what the coach is saying?

Thanks for the videos, Laurent. Do I correctly remember that the Queen of the Waters variation also used in the Mariinsky Don Quixote -- one of the bridesmaid variations?

Edited by Quinten
deletion

The variation of the Queen of Waters has been indeed used for the inserted variation in the Grand pas of Don Quichotte at Mariinsky, it wass danced, e.g., by Olga Esina in 2006 (with Novikova and Sarafanov dancing the principal parts) which is understandable in view of the fact that its author, Alexandre Gorsky, was also the author of the variation of the Queen of Dryads. Both variations were in the past brilliantly executed by Agrippina Vaganova, called by the contemporary critics the "Queen of Variations". It is worth to remember that Gorsky produced his own redactions of both Don Quichotte and the Little humbacked horse after Marius Petipa's retirement. The Don Quichotte we know is by Gorsky, not Petipa. Preservation of numerous variations from lost ballets of the Imperial era we owe to Vaganova who was using them in her teaching throughout her career.

3 hours ago, Quinten said:

Here's the Pavillon d'Amide variation that Obraztsova will be dancing.  Anybody know what the coach is saying?

This looks gorgeous.  I hope a video becomes available.  I couldn't understand all of it, but I think the coach is telling her to keep her hand movements soft.  

Intermission now between the second and third parts.  Loved watching the performances by the foreign ballet schools plus the Bolshoi school.  Especially liked the Danish students, so musical and free in their movements.  I think the Cranko may have been blocked - did anyone else see it?

Now for Act III!

Now the Kultura site says "broadcast completed."  Very disappointed not see see Part III.

from left to right: Sevenard, Zhiganshina, Stepanova, Obraztsova, Zakharova, Rodkin, Smirnova, Kovaleva

34353211_401665737006651_511690620402663

8 · The Queen of Waters variation (Stepanova). On the authority of Vaganova memoirs published 7 years after her death, this variation is a survivor of the earlier Marius Petipa, or even Saint-Léon text ; this leaves open the question who is the author of the Queen of Dryads variation, traditionally thought to be by Gorsky. Note that Yulia Stepanova danced yesterday a more difficult text than Maria Khoreva : the Italian fouettés were added quite some time after Gorsky's 1912 production, and they were too difficult for several dancers who were dancing the original text. 

https://scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/91d426f63f65b0d0753e6de66d998388/5B2C2887/t50.2886-16/34920529_192408511479492_4856669424052150087_n.mp4

9 · A variation from le Pavillon d'Armide (Obraztsova)

https://scontent-arn2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/652d4758cc382fce95391ec4c98ff76b/5B2BF451/t50.2886-16/34941190_2121126964837071_4025521906945733198_n.mp4

(the source: Arina Windsor's Instagram)

Edited by Laurent

More Instagram videos and photos:

Edited by Quinten

Edited by Quinten
insertion failed x3