This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Unbound A - Opening 4/20

Opening night casting for Unbound A has been posted (https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting)

UNBOUND A

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 8 pm

THE COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT
Choreography: Alonzo King
Music: Jason Moran
Conductor: Martin West

Sofiane Sylve*, Tiit Helimets*
Jahna Frantziskonis*, Joseph Warton*

BOUND TO©
Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon
Music: Keaton Henson
Conductor: David Briskin

Frances Chung*, Sasha De Sola*, Isabella DeVivo*, Jennifer Stahl*, Yuan Yuan Tan*

Jaime Garcia Castilla*, Carlo Di Lanno*, Benjamin Freemantle*, Angelo Greco*, Lonnie Weeks*

HURRY UP, WE'RE DREAMING
Choreography: Justin Peck
Music: Anthony Gonzalez, Yann Gonzalez, Bradley Laner, and Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Dores André*, Wei Wang*
Sarah Van Patten*, Luke Ingham*
Gabriela Gonzalez*, Ulrik Birkkjaer*

Casting is subject to change

* denotes premiere in ballet

Alastair Macaulay [in his April 22, 2018 review] stated that Joseph Walsh danced in Alonzo King's ballet opening night - if so, I'm glad to hear that Walsh has returned. But  I wonder if that was an error (given that Macaulay may not know what Walsh looks like). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Edited by pherank

I think he meant Joseph Warton. I too liked the Justin Peck piece best. It was clean, had no false rhetoric and fit the company like a glove. I'd really like to see it again – watching three absolutely new pieces fatigues you a bit, especially for the third one. Warton was excellent but so was Blake Kessler – maybe he'll show up in Shostakovitch part one? The subtitles of Wheeldon's piece pointing out the dangers of cell phone use seemed a bit cliched, and there were some quotes from Russian Seasons I'd rather see in the original. The company seemed to be in top form for all three pieces.

Edited by Quiggin
30 minutes ago, Quiggin said:

I think he meant Joseph Warton. I too liked the Justin Peck piece best. It was clean, had no false rhetoric and fit the company like a glove. I'd really like to see it again – watching three absolutely new pieces fatigues you a bit, especially for the third one. Warton was excellent but so was Blake Kessler – maybe he'll show up in Shostakovitch part one? The subtitles of Wheeldon's piece pointing out the dangers of cell phone use seemed a bit cliched, and there were some quotes from Russian Seasons I'd rather see in the original. The company seemed to be in top form for all three pieces.

That's what I figured about Walsh/Warton. I just can't remember if I've ever see Warton dance before.

Joe Walsh posted a message to SFB and the public on his Instagram account, summing things up:

On 4/22/2018 at 6:50 PM, Quiggin said:

Agree about the Peck piece. I thought it was the strongest although the others might have needed just more time and or development. I think it really takes a special choreographer to know what to choreograph for what company. It cant just be good. It has to be fitting.