This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Manon" Osipova-Shklyarov "Friday the 13th" April

6 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

the British Airways flight from London to Moscow is a surreal experience,

Suggest you always wear gloves and don't eat or drink anything while on board, as some of the seats might be contaminated with "полоний-210" or "новичок" !!  :speechless-smiley-003::speechless-smiley-003:

Edited by mnacenani
7 hours ago, Mashinka said:

That's as may be, but guess who pulls in the punters?

Sure thing ! As I said before, I'm not going to endure a 4-hour flight and the unbearable 1+ hour queue at Heathrow for anyone else. I wish Natasha would come to her senses and go back to Russia - she'll get real competition there, would really keep her on her toes ! :P

2 hours ago, mnacenani said:

Sure thing ! As I said before, I'm not going to endure a 4-hour flight and the unbearable 1+ hour queue at Heathrow for anyone else. I wish Natasha would come to her senses and go back to Russia - she'll get real competition there, would really keep her on her toes ! :P

She has competition in London.  Francesca Hayward completely out danced her in Rhapsody, more to do with shortcomings in Russian training than anything lacking in Ms Osipova's abilities, but it is telling that she finds Ashton's choreography problematic.  I agree with other posters that recent developments at the Bolshoi are worrying, if the company does come to London next year, I won't be booking blind for anything, there are very few female dancers in the company I would want to watch.  My days of regular trips to Moscow are long, long gone and there's little to tempt me over to Paris any more, though that's more to do with repertoire.  With a line up of Hayward, Lamb, Naghdi Nunez and Osipova, I just don't see the need to travel to see ballet any more.

7 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

She has competition in London.  Francesca Hayward completely out danced her in Rhapsody, more to do with shortcomings in Russian training than anything lacking in Ms Osipova's abilities, but it is telling that she finds Ashton's choreography problematic.  I agree with other posters that recent developments at the Bolshoi are worrying, if the company does come to London next year, I won't be booking blind for anything, there are very few female dancers in the company I would want to watch.  My days of regular trips to Moscow are long, long gone and there's little to tempt me over to Paris any more, though that's more to do with repertoire.  With a line up of Hayward, Lamb, Naghdi Nunez and Osipova, I just don't see the need to travel to see ballet any more.

I respect your personal likes. I am only interested in Russian classical repertory, Petipa, Lavrovsky, Yakabson, Burmeister, Grigarovich. I like seeing the very best of what I like and am not interested in seeing anything different or new (same thing for food : whether in Istanbul or in Moscow I always go to the same restaurant/s and usually order the same dish/es  :yahoo::yahoo:)

On 4/18/2018 at 9:14 AM, mnacenani said:

Suggest you always wear gloves and don't eat or drink anything while on board, as some of the seats might be contaminated with "полоний-210" or "новичок" !!  :speechless-smiley-003::speechless-smiley-003:

Of fly Aeroflot instead. Russians won't spill the nasty stuff on their national carrier.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:10 PM, volcanohunter said:

I suppose Lauren Cuthbertson, Francesca Hayward, Sarah Lamb, Laura Morera and Marianela Nuñez are all chopped liver. It's only one opinion, of course, but I would choose any of them over Osipova each and every time.

Last I checked, all but two of the POB's étoiles are French, and the exceptions aren't Russian. There aren't any Russians among the Royal Danish Ballet's principals.

If there are more Russian dancers working abroad than there are non-Russian dancers working in Russia, perhaps this has more to do with living and working conditions in Russia than anything else.

Besides Principals Lauren Cuthbertson, Sarah Lamb,Laura Morera, FrancescaHayward and Marianella Nunez, two superb Principals Yasmine Naghdi and Akane Takada are to be included in the list.

Osipova is force of her own, some like her wild style others don't. She's perhaps fascinating to watch but there it stops for many like myself: she has no finesse or elegance nor does she possess a clean, pure classical style of dancing. She has her own very impulsive style of dancing which imo does not fit into the RB style/English style of dancing. 

You can say what you like about Osipova, but she remains a very bankable star and with falling attendances, worth her weight in gold.  Remember that much of the RB's rep is classical and that is very much her forte and she looks good in the works of McGregor too.  News of next season's rep suggests at least two new roles that she will excel in,  She is dancing Kitri tonight and I'm very much looking forward to it, though bitterly disappointed Corrales remains injured as I had hopes for that being the partnership of the century.

There is indeed an embarrassment of riches in the RB right now but that doesn't mean Osipova is eclipsed, quite the contrary.  Physically she is the type of dancer I like best with the compact body that most classical works were created on.  I see her as a force of nature and remain in awe of her.

And by the way unless you were watching the RB in the 60's/70's than you have no idea what the true 'English style' is, what we see today is an approximation.