This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

delete

I am so happy that the company starts it’s US tour on the West coast and I can catch them before my departure to DC to see the wonderful and always exciting Cuban National Ballet. 

Does anyone know if the National Ballet of Ukraine will be performing to live orchestra or recorded music? The listed venues make me suspect it will be the latter. 

Sarafanov was scheduled to appear in Baltimore in DQ last night with the National Ballet of Ukraine, but did not.  He was listed in the program they handed out in the theatre and on the website; and no announcement was made from the stage.  Nevertheless he was not dancing.  (I was there.)  Does anyone have any idea what happened?

10 hours ago, huck1994 said:

Sarafanov was scheduled to appear in Baltimore in DQ last night with the National Ballet of Ukraine, but did not.  He was listed in the program they handed out in the theatre and on the website; and no announcement was made from the stage.  Nevertheless he was not dancing.  (I was there.)  Does anyone have any idea what happened?

I had been considering traveling to see him - I am so glad that I didn't!

On 5/31/2018 at 9:19 AM, nysusan said:

I had been considering traveling to see him - I am so glad that I didn't!

I saw him in Miami with the tour. Alas, it was a small stage and probably under rehearsed, but he looked completely underwhelming. He came and went and left no remarkable impact on the performance 

Sad really I think, more for the company than for us in the end.  They were trying to make a name here for their 150th Anniversary.  Tho' I wonder now if I will ever see him.  Don't expect to be in Russia.  Did see him some years ago here in NYC as a dancer at the court at Versailles in Flames of Paris, which I thought was a terrible waste.

Please note that this is NOT the company! If you look closely it is a ‘concert group’ from the actual company and is not traveling with the company as the company usually tours. It is heartbreaking that people will think that this is representative of what the National ballet of Ukraine is, and I hope beyond all hope that if the magnificent main company actually does choose to tour the US while maybe on one of their Canadian or Mexican tours the US public will not choose to skip it based on a really sad use of the name. We have no idea if the AD even signed off on this without the use of the word ‘concert group’ in all of their promotional material, but we are highly doubtful.  All I can say is that if the real company ever does come, do not hesitate to see them! 

Glad that I didn’t waste time with this in DC and opted to extend my time in NY, where I am now. 

It was a bad sign when I read that Sarafanov would be taking part in the “Petipa Galas” in Moscow at the same time. He was obviously not committed to the tour.

Thank you Fraildove.  This explains a lot, although sadly.  (Among other things, the large poster of Sarafanov outside the theatre with an almost invisible "Starring Stanislav Olshanskiy" hidden at the bottom.)  I certainly hope no one in the main company never signed off on this.  (or Sarafanov himself.)   I will add that I have seen the real company in the Kiev Opera House; and yes, anyone should go to see them when the chance arises, here or there.