This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarah Lane

ABT Fan

Thank you for the news, and I'll post this in the PNB forum, too.

Steven Loch just got a long-overdue and well-deserved promotion earlier this month, and he's got an insatiable appetite for dance and absorbing everything around him: we see him at dance performances and dance-related films and live/filmed performances all around town, often with fellow PNB dancers, but he's the common thread.

This will be such a treat for his fellow Texans who can see this.

They did:  this article came through on my Google Alerts earlier today:

http://starlocalmedia.com/lewisvilleleader/news/lake-cities-ballet-theatre-production-to-feature-world-class-dancers/article_91d81e3e-339e-11e8-af78-339c0f637df5.html

Sarah Lane, American Ballet Theatre principal dancer, will dance the lead role of Giselle. Steven Loch, LBT alum and recently promoted soloist at Pacific Northwest Ballet, will dance the role of Albrecht – the male lead. Giselle is one of LBT’s rotating ballets in its repertoire. In the last performance, Loch was an LBT student when he danced alongside Lane.

3 hours ago, nanushka said:

Sarah posts on IG about coaching from Irina and Max:

The Giselle performance given by Lane last spring was truly one of the best I've seen, and I've been watching Giselle since back in the day of Fracci, Makarova etc. I've seen countless Giselles. Go see this if you can. I can't because K.M. has only given her a Wed. Mat. I can't get there. If you can go!

I just saw Lane and Cornejo interviewed in Bryant Park. Lane mentioned she'd be doing Swan Lake pas de trois twice. The nights Cornejo does Siegfried. I think it's a shame. One of those shows should be her O/O. 

1 hour ago, vipa said:

I just saw Lane and Cornejo interviewed in Bryant Park. Lane mentioned she'd be doing Swan Lake pas de trois twice. The nights Cornejo does Siegfried. I think it's a shame. One of those shows should be her O/O. 

Insulting. No other word for it. Is she a Principal or a new rank Soloist-Plus?

I was at the Bryant Park event as well.  For me, the real killer was when Cynthia Harvey asked each dancer to name their dream role.  Lane wistfully admitted her dream role was Juliet . . .  it was just heartbreaking. 

1 hour ago, laurel said:

I was at the Bryant Park event as well.  For me, the real killer was when Cynthia Harvey asked each dancer to name their dream role.  Lane wistfully admitted her dream role was Juliet . . .  it was just heartbreaking. 

Yes that's  a role she should had this year. Better for her than Don Q

I know ABT hasn't recently cast the pas de trois roles with principal dancers, but it's not necessarily inappropriate or unheard of to do so. The Royal Ballet has several women principals dancing in the pas de trois in their new production of Swan Lake--including one of their rising stars, Francesca Hayward, who isn't dancing Odette-Odile at all but only the pas de trois ; another principal (Takada) is cast both as Odette-Odile and in the pas de trois. (Yet another Odette-Odile--Naghdi--was scheduled to dance the pas de trois on tour--and, when on tour, only the pas de trois; I don't know if that has changed since the injury to Lauren Cuthbertson.) The Royal Ballet doesn't lack for good soloists either.

I'm not advocating for how Lane should be cast--though if she were dancing Odette-Odile and I were in New York, then I would certainly buy a ticket to see the performance (and how much more so if she were cast with Cornejo)--but I don't think I agree that being cast in the pas de trois should be thought of as "insulting" ...

Edited by Drew

I wonder if there's been a trade-off: in a season with so many dancers' debuts in leading roles and with two new ballets, the coaching staff may have been spread rather thin, and so they weren't able to prepare as many younger dancers for roles such as the three shades, the peasant PDD, the SL PDT, etc.

Not an excuse (many on here have criticized the company for its rather shallow coaching roster), just a possible explanation.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

I wonder if there's been a trade-off: in a season with so many dancers' debuts in leading roles and with two new ballets, the coaching staff may have been spread rather thin, and so they weren't able to prepare as many younger dancers for roles such as the three shades, the peasant PDD, the SL PDT, etc.

Not an excuse (many on here have criticized the company for its rather shallow coaching roster), just a possible explanation.

Sounds feasible to me. Especially when considered in combination with the current lack of soloists (2, effectively) --who would normally expect to do many (if not all) of these roles.

Just a fleeting thought. Lane has danced O/O and Juliet elsewhere, with companies other than ABT. Perhaps having her learn Nikiya and Kitri is a way of ensuring that she now knows almost all the leading roles and can perform in any of them next and in future seasons. An all-around Principal.

1 hour ago, angelica said:

Just a fleeting thought. Lane has danced O/O and Juliet elsewhere, with companies other than ABT. Perhaps having her learn Nikiya and Kitri is a way of ensuring that she now knows almost all the leading roles and can perform in any of them next and in future seasons. An all-around Principal.

I didn't realize she's done Juliet before. With which company?

Sarah Lane performed the balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet with Cervilio Amador as Romeo at a gala at the Winspear Opera house in Dallas, Texas,  in 2012. She was a last minute substitute for Janessa Touchet. 

Edited by vagansmom
To include location

Hmm yesterday Devon Teuscher who danced Juliet earlier this week danced Lady Capulet. So this practice of using principals in soloist roles is definitely not limited to Sarah. If I were to guess it's driven by lack of rehearsal time and ability to get new company members to learn these roles. 

On 6/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, canbelto said:

Hmm yesterday Devon Teuscher who danced Juliet earlier this week danced Lady Capulet. So this practice of using principals in soloist roles is definitely not limited to Sarah. If I were to guess it's driven by lack of rehearsal time and ability to get new company members to learn these roles. 

You are  probably  right  canbelto, but it shows how messed  up  ABT  casting is. How are  dancers supposed  to develope?