Quinten

Bolshoi 2018 Tours

Posted (edited)

Poster for Bolshoi Tour to Seoul May 28/29 2018.  Two Swan Lakes -- Stepanova/Ovcharenko on the 28th, Kovalyova/Tissi on the 29th.  As far as I can make out from the Google translation, the Instagrammer is complaining about the high ticket prices, especially for the two non-principal dancers Kovalyova and Tissi. 

Edited by Quinten
correction

He shouldn’t pay full price because he will be stuck with the Grigorovich staging and music cuts.  Nyet and Nyet!   

A third Swan Lake in Seoul was added -- Smirnova/Chudin on May 27.

A third Swan Lake in Seoul was added -- Smirnova/Chudin on May 27.

The Bolshoi tour to Beijing China will include 3 performances each of Le Corsaire (May 18-20) and Flames of Paris (22-25) at the Beijing National Center for the Performing Arts. . https://www.bolshoi.ru/performances/1057/. Stepanova will dance Medora on May 20 according to a local source. 

Flames of Paris in Beijing http://en.chncpa.org/whatson/zdyc/201802/t20180223_183014.shtml

Jeanne: Kristina Kretova (22/24)/ Ekaterina Krysanova (23/25)
Jerome: Denis Savin (22/24)/ Anton Savichev (23/25)
Philippe: Vladislav Lantratov (22/24)/Igor Tsvirko (23/25)
Costa de Beauregard: Ruslan Skvortsov (All dates)
Adeline: Ana Turazashvili (22/24)/Anna Nikulina (23/25)
Mireille de Poitiers: Yulia Stepanova (22/24)/Antonina Chapkina (23/25)
Antoine Mistral: Jacopo Tissi (22/24)/David Motta Soares (23/25)
The Old Lady: Irina Zibrova (All Dates)

Le Corsaire in Beijing http://en.chncpa.org/whatson/zdyc/201802/t20180215_182881.shtml

Medora: Ekaterina Krysanova (18)/Anna Nikulina (19)/ Yulia Stepanova (20)
Conrad: Igor Tsvirko (18)/ Vladislav Lantratov (19)/Denis Rodkin (20)
Gulnare: Kristina Kretova (18/20)/ Eleonora Sevenard (19)
Birbanto: Denis Savin (18/20)/ Vitaly Biktimirov (19)
Slaves: Margarita Shrainer, David Motta Soares (18/20)/ Kristina Kretova, MikhailKryuchkov (19)
Seyd: Alexei Loparevich (All dates)
Zulmea: Nelli Kobakhidze (All dates)

Updated casting for the Beijing performances:

May 18-20, 2018 
"Corsair" 
Medora - Ekaterina Krysanova (18, 20), Yulia Stepanova (19) 
Conrad - Igor Tsvirko (18), Denis Rodkin (19), Vladislav Lantratov (20) 
Gulnara - Xenia Zhiganshina (18, 20), Eleanor Sevenard (19, debut ) 
Birbanto - Denis Savin (18, 20), Vitaliy Biktimirov (19) 
Pas des esclaves - Margarita Schreiner (18, 19), Daria Bochkova (20), David Motta Soares (18, debut ; 19), Mikhail Kryuchkov (20, debut ) 

May 22-25 
"The Flame of Paris" 
Jeanne - Margarita Schreiner (22, 24), Ekaterina Krysanova (23, 25) 
Philip - Vladislav Lantratov (22, 24), Igor Tsvirko (23, 25) 
Adeline - Anastasia Denisova (22, debut ; 24), Ana Turazashvili (23, 25) 
Jerome - Denis Savin (22, 24), Anton Savichev (23, 25) 
Mireille de Poitiers - Yulia Stepanova (22, 24), Antonina Chapkina (23, 25) 
Antoine Mistral - Jacopo Tissi (22, 24), David Motta Soares (23, 25)

Posted (edited)

The Le Corsaire run in Beijing began a few hours ago with Krysanova's first of two performances flanking Stepanova's single performance.  As I often do, I reviewed videos of these two dancers in the role of Medora to imagine what their Beijing performances might be like. To my surprise, I found differences in the actual choreography danced!  The most surprising example I found is in Medora's Jardin Anime variation, the one where the ballerina leaps successively into three garlands of leaves.  At the very beginning of the variation, most ballerinas (Zakharova, Alexandrova and here, Stepanova) bring the non-supporting leg forward from arabesque into a front attitude (have I got the names right?) without touching the floor, but Krysanova rests the foot on the ground midway through. (The videos below are cued up to the beginning of the variation). I wonder, is it kosher for a prima ballerina to bail on hard choreography?  I don't remember whether Krysanova was able to do the correct choreography on the broadcast and we will probably never know what she actually does in Beijing, but it does make you wonder how these casting choices are made.

Now looking at Medora's variation in the Pas des Eventails, Krysanova does the same wonky workaround!  This combination seems to be a signature move for Medora, since she does it in two variations.   How does a ballerina get away with doing an easy variant of the classic choreography that is emblematic of the character she is dancing??  Here's Krysanova doing her workaround at the beginning of the variation

and (to keep anti-Stepanova heads from exploding) here is Zakharova doing the proper steps.

Edited by Quinten
Added text and video