This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancer Promotions for 2018-2019

Good promotions, particularly Park; I've only seen her twice, but she makes an impression, especially for one so apparently young.  

I agree (hope) that Hummel may be next; she's very musical.  Bizalion only showed up on my radar from her Lilac Fairy performance -  mature, polished, beautiful port de bras - and I look forward to seeing her development.

3 hours ago, pherank said:

...there is that issue of who will fill Kochetkova's principal position. ... I expect there's a certain amount of pressure to replace her with an experienced, proven talent from Europe, Cuba, etc.

I'm curious why you think there's pressure to hire from outside, and pressure from whom?  I can't imagine that anyone (audience, hiring committee, whatever) who knows enough about ballet to recognize genuine talent, as opposed to performers of stupid pet tricks, wouldn't acknowledge the talent in the soloist and corps ranks and prefer to see promotions from within whenever possible.  Strongin would seem likely to take over Kochetkova's spot; very different type of dancer but Kochetkova is unique anyway - no point trying to 'replace' her.  Of course, when the inevitable retirements of Tan and Sylve happen, then I can see bringing in from outside if the soloist women haven't developed enough to take on principal.

In any case, interesting to see what happens down the road.

1 hour ago, PeggyR said:

I'm curious why you think there's pressure to hire from outside, and pressure from whom?  I can't imagine that anyone (audience, hiring committee, whatever) who knows enough about ballet to recognize genuine talent, as opposed to performers of stupid pet tricks, wouldn't acknowledge the talent in the soloist and corps ranks and prefer to see promotions from within whenever possible.  Strongin would seem likely to take over Kochetkova's spot; very different type of dancer but Kochetkova is unique anyway - no point trying to 'replace' her.  Of course, when the inevitable retirements of Tan and Sylve happen, then I can see bringing in from outside if the soloist women haven't developed enough to take on principal.

There is always a strategic side to the hiring of principals in any performing art - it's not just about 'being fair' to the existing performers. Although it's great when management demonstrates loyalty and faith in the dancers who have come up from the bottom (especially from the company school). I just don't think we can discount the importance of bringing in new blood too. I don't quite understand what you mean when you say, "performers of stupid pet tricks". I don't think any of the foreign born dancers at SFB fall into that category. The Principals are supposed to be exciting performers that will 'put butts in seats', so it always helps to have principals with an international reputation.  Tomasson has already made a number of promotions from within, so it's certainly a possibility that he will find a principal from elsewhere at this time. Jen Stahl may be the only 'home grown' principal at SFB, though Castilla came to SFB pretty young too, I think.

I think that many audience members would like to see a Russian or a Cuban or a French star joining the company. For me, the company looks stronger then ever before but I woudn’t mind if a yet not widely known dancer with strong classical training from a Russian or other European company joins the company at the soloist level. Adding “new blood” would definitely bring excitement and healthy competition and also help avoid complacency and stagnation.

Here's a nice post from Lizzy Powell - directed at Henry Sidford:

There are too many emotions to express right now. I can’t help but think about when we were 12 at Boston ballet together and to see how far we have both come! Making that huge decision when we were 15 to move 3,000 miles away from home. Joining the company together back in 2011. Getting to partner with each other many times throughout the years. And now look! We got promoted together!! What a special thing to have happen. Love you.
The past seven years with sfballet have been amazing and crazy, filled with highs and lows and I wouldn’t change that for the world. I am beyond excited to see what the future holds and to continue to grow as an artist.
Congratulations to @wonapark too! Such a talent! I’m so excited to continue to get to know you and see you flourish on our beautiful stage.  :)

21 hours ago, PeggyR said:

I agree (hope) that Hummel may be next; she's very musical.  Bizalion only showed up on my radar from her Lilac Fairy performance -  mature, polished, beautiful port de bras - and I look forward to seeing her development.

Ellen has definitely put in her dues and danced wonderfully over the past few years. I, too, hope she gets the recognition she deserves. Bizalion danced Carabosse, too, and was in "Bound To".