Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
California

Royal Ballet 2018-19 season

Recommended Posts

Alongside the cinema broadcasts, for those of us who live elsewhere!

Those of us who watch with popcorn get Mayerling, Bayadere, Don Q, a mixed bill with Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour, Pite's Flight Patterns, and a new Cherkaoui), R&J, and, of course, the eternal Nutcracker.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

And ... for those in the land of Trump - a live appearance by the RB (with a McGregor World Premiere) in LA!!! (oh, and for those a tad further out - Japan).  

Edited by meunier fan

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, meunier fan said:

And ... for those in the land of Trump - a live appearance by the RB (with a McGregor World Premiere) in LA!!! (oh, and for those a tad further out - Japan).  

“For those in the land of Trump”? Would that be “from those in the land of Brexit”? Or maybe we could spare each other this sort of comment.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't mind a little larking around, considering how dire some things have been lately.  And if anyone has any clue about what else might be on the LA program, I'd love to hear about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Drew said:

“For those in the land of Trump”? Would that be “from those in the land of Brexit”? Or maybe we could spare each other this sort of comment.

 

It was, I promise, all in jest ... and I'm happy (and proud) to come from the Land of Brexit .... even if I didn't vote for it (i.e., I did vote ... but ticked 'to stay).  

Edited by meunier fan

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, meunier fan said:

 

It was, I promise, all in jest.  Happy - indeed proud - to be from 'the land of Brexit - even if I didn't vote for it.  (And, yes, we do have to laugh at ourselves or we wouldn't survive I think.)  

I didn’t doubt you were in jest...though the first post didn’t sound like you were laughing at yourself. I confess I am in no mood for jokes on certain subjects. My loss perhaps.

I love reading your posts —among my very favorite to read—and am intrigued by plans for a visit by the Royal to LA, and indeed, as described in the link, for a genuine collaboration with LA.

Share this post


Link to post

The Royal Ballet totally ignored Petipa this year, they have also failed to acknowledge the eightieth anniversary of Nureyev's birth which coincides with the  twenty fifth anniversary of his death.  Now, astonishingly, it appears they have chosen not to celebrate the centenary of Margot Fonteyn's birth.  There is nothing whatsoever in the press release about her with Firebird being the only ballet she was associated with being performed.  I find that shameful.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

The Royal Ballet totally ignored Petipa this year, they have also failed to acknowledge the eightieth anniversary of Nureyev's birth which coincides with the  twenty fifth anniversary of his death.  Now, astonishingly, it appears they have chosen not to celebrate the centenary of Margot Fonteyn's birth.  There is nothing whatsoever in the press release about her with Firebird being the only ballet she was associated with being performed.  I find that shameful.

Aren't Nureyev and Fonteyn associated wth the premiere of MacMillan's R&J (and in a somewhat controversial way, as I understand).

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, meunier fan said:

And ... for those in the land of Trump - a live appearance by the RB (with a McGregor World Premiere) in LA!!!

:offtopic: Perhaps it's worth remembering that in California 61.7% of participating voters supported Trump's main opponent, and in Los Angeles County his vote tally was 22.4%.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, California said:

Aren't Nureyev and Fonteyn associated wth the premiere of MacMillan's R&J (and in a somewhat controversial way, as I understand).

They danced the first performance and for many people their interpretation of the roles surpassed anything that followed, but the ballet was created for Seymour and Christopher Gable.  Apparently Sol Hurok insisted F&N should dance the premiere.  I think to make a tie in with Fonteyn's birth would, as you say, be controversial.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, meunier fan said:

And ... for those in the land of Trump - a live appearance by the RB (with a McGregor World Premiere) in LA!!! (oh, and for those a tad further out - Japan).  

Los Angeles has a really odd relationship to ballet - a not particularly good one. I suppose Hollywood is largely to blame for that. Many people have dreamed of creating a world-class ballet company in LA, and those plans never pan out. Now Benjamin Millepied is trying a somewhat different tack...

But the population of that metropolis is so huge that there will always be some audience for ballet.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mashinka said:

They danced the first performance and for many people their interpretation of the roles surpassed anything that followed, but the ballet was created for Seymour and Christopher Gable.  Apparently Sol Hurok insisted F&N should dance the premiere.  I think to make a tie in with Fonteyn's birth would, as you say, be controversial.

According to Julie Kavanagh in her biography on Nureyev it was chief executive David Webster who insisted F&N dace the first-night at the Royal Opera House. Seymour and Gable danced the second night. Sol Hurok was the one who insisted F&N dance the New York premiere because he believed international success depended on them. In both instances Ashton backed the decision even though he had the power as artistic director to challenge them. So it was a double loss for the MacMillan/Seymour/Gable team who worked together to make it. 

MacMillan was pissed off because he wanted something new, more gritty and real. F&N were too old-fashioned for what he envisioned the characters to be with Lynn and Christopher.  Worse of all it was Seymour and Gable who had to teach Margot and Rudolf the choreography because apparently MacMillan was too bitter and disheartened to do anything. And they were the ones who had to watch Margot and Rudolf make the changes that clashed with the original vision. Kavanagh also points out that a year later MacMillian left the Royal ballet for the directorship in Berlin, taking Seymour with him. Later that same year Gable gave up ballet to become an actor. 

As for what ballet they would perform to tie in with Margot's birth wasn't Aurora considered her most iconic role?   

Edited by NAOTMAA

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 

First of all I consider Diane Solway's biography to be the definitive account of Nureyev's career and she very clearly lays the blame at Hurok's door.  So too does Norman Lebrecht in his weighty tome, Covent Garden: The Untold Story.  On page 262 he also blames Hurok, giving a little more detail, but of course the then management Ashton/Webster, approved the cast change but interestingly Lebrecht notes that they didn't give the board any reason for the cast change.

One thousand people according to Solway, slept out in an effort to get first night tickets.  On that occasion I didn't join them, in fact I didn't see them in the ballet until the following year, 1966.  By that time the Fonteyn/Nureyev performance had been filmed for posterity, the Seymour/Gable interpretation never was. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×