This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Classic movie musical dance routines set to Uptown Funk

A couple of weeks ago on another thread (which I can’t find at the moment), there was a discussion about promotional clips of various ballets set to a single piece of music, regardless of how appropriate it is to the video clips.

Aside from about a nano-second of The Red Shoes, this sticks to dance routines from movie musicals (which maybe fits TRS a bit), and it’s pretty well done.

Edited by PeggyR
Trying to get the url to embed (or something)
On 3/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, PeggyR said:

A couple of weeks ago on another thread (which I can’t find at the moment), there was a discussion about promotional clips of various ballets set to a single piece of music, regardless of how appropriate it is to the video clips.

Aside from about a nano-second of The Red Shoes, this sticks to dance routines from movie musicals (which maybe fits TRS a bit), and it’s pretty well done.

The clip of Jimmy Cagney coming down the stairs is from the end of "Yankee Doodle Dandy," I think.  But yes, most of the clips are from movie musicals, and especially from Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell movies.  (Someone has good taste!)

With a lot of post-Jazz Western popular music, the musical phrasing and accents follow certain conventions, so yes, quite a bit of tap, jazz, hip hop, etc. choreography will still "work" with any number of popular music recordings.  Ballet doesn't follow the same musical conventions, so yep, no "American in Paris" ballet in this, unfortunately!

I am watching this with a big grin on my face...

They certainly knew how to make movie musicals in Hollywood then. Tonight it will probably be an Eleanor Powell movie for me or maybe Judy .... or Fred... or Ann...or Shirley.... so many possibilities... and always so little time  :blushing:.

By the way, I don't like the colorized Shirley Temple movies, I prefer black and white .