This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center Dance 2018-19

Positives:

I’m glad that they’ve done away with the guest curators for Ballet Across America. That experiment bombed. Nowhere to go but up. 

ABT performing Harlequinade. Saves us a trip to NY.

Mariinsky coming back with a full-length classic, Corsaire (for the 3rd time). By now we’ve learned to not expect Vikharev reconstructions. At least they’re not bringing Yaroslavna: The Eclipse.

NYCB coming back, with rep., rather than full lengths. (We’ve dodged the Martins R&J bullet!)

Negatives:

Corsaire and Harlequinade are the only full-length classics, other than the usual Nutcracker (again the Ballet West version that was here a couple of years ago).

The blurring of classical & contemporary (& Broadway) in one “Dance” series. We used to have separate ballet and dance series. All the more reason to wait until single-show tickets become available.

Only two non-USA ballet companies (Mariinsky & NB of China...bringing same old Red Lantern from last visit here). No Royal, RDB, La Scala, POB, Berlin, Stuttgart or other companies that regularly played the Kennedy Center in years gone by.

Ratmansky’s Swan Lake recon (by Zurich or La Scala troupes) nowhere in sight.

Edited by CharlieH

32 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Only two non-USA ballet companies (Mariinsky & NB of China...bringing same old Red Lantern from last visit here). No Royal, RDB, La Scala, POB, Berlin, Stuttgart or other companies that regularly played the Kennedy Center in years gone by.

Ratmansky’s Swan Lake recon (by Zurich or La Scala troupes) nowhere in sight.

With the demise of the Lincoln Center Summer Festival, this is particularly disappointing. I wonder if Segerstrom might help fill that void! 

Ratmansky is apparently doing a reconstruction of Bayadere for Berlin next year. I'd love to see that one, too, and hope they can find a way to bring it to the US.

ENB is coming to Chicago, as discussed elsewhere on this site recently, but I haven't seen any other announcements.

I find it interesting that Mariinsky is coming in April.  They have always come to DC either in October, or during  Jan/Feb. I'm hoping that there might be a New York stop during their trip to the US.  The Koch is always available during early and mid April.  Of course, this is just wishful thinking. I have no factual info to support my dream.

42 minutes ago, abatt said:

Any way of knowing if Cojocaru would be part of the ENB trip to Chicago?   Is Cojocaru back from maternity leave at ENB?

Alina Cojocaru Retweeted

After more than a year away from the stage @DancingAlina is back dancing Marguerite tonight with @hamburgballett. This time with almost 4 months old Chulpan watching from the wings.

DU_M6tQUQAACIpo.jpg

29 minutes ago, theo said:

All in all I find 2018-2019 to be a disappointment.  Maybe the Washington Ballet will fill the void of classics.   

No idea when Washington Ballet or Segerstrom will announce their season for 2018-19. Does anybody know?

There's also still hope for PNB -- announcement next week, I think? I'm hoping they bring back their reconstruction of Giselle.

2 hours ago, California said:

No idea when Washington Ballet or Segerstrom will announce their season for 2018-19. Does anybody know?

There's also still hope for PNB -- announcement next week, I think? I'm hoping they bring back their reconstruction of Giselle.

All I know right now is that they're doing a lot of Robbins at the beginning of the season, as part of the centennial.

Afternoon of a Faun, The Concert, In the Night, Other Dances: 21 Sept 2018; Dances at a Gathering, Interplay, West Side Story Suite: 28 Sept 2018

My fingers are always crossed for Giselle.

San Francisco is  at the KC near Halloween.  Perfect time to book Frankenstein.  TWB did Cranko's Romeo & Juliet at the KC for 2018 Valentine's Day.  Happy audience, great sales in the Opera House.  ABT often programs mixed bills and a full length. Instead...

Edited by maps
KC

On 3/8/2018 at 2:21 PM, maps said:

San Francisco is  at the KC near Halloween.  Perfect time to book Frankenstein.  TWB did Cranko's Romeo & Juliet at the KC for 2018 Valentine's Day.  Happy audience, great sales in the Opera House.  Instead...

Although SF audiences generally have felt that Frankenstein has been, if anything, improved across all casts this year, it sounds like SFB will only be performing new works from their Unbound Festival:

"The world-renowned company follows its acclaimed 2016 performances of Cinderella with D.C. premieres to be selected from Unbound: A Festival of New Works. Launching later this spring in San Francisco, the dynamic festival will showcase all-new ballets created by 12 of today’s most innovative choreographers, including David Dawson, Alonzo King, Edwaard Liang, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Cathy Marston, Trey McIntyre, Justin Peck, Arthur Pita, Dwight Rhoden, Myles Thatcher, Stanton Welch, and Christopher Wheeldon. Favorite pieces from the festival will make their way to the Kennedy Center in the fall, celebrating dance without limits and the company’s unique spirit of curiosity, experimentation, and invention."

Oh happy day!  I check daily for Ballet Across America - on sale since March.  It is now here and wonderful.  Dance Theatre of Harlem and Miami.  http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BTBSI

I wish SF [ fall 2018 had 2 east coast weeks - DC then NYC] would be the annual replacement product for Farrell.  With the bi-annual SF slot used for Miami, Harlem, etc.  

4 hours ago, maps said:

Oh happy day!  I check daily for Ballet Across America - on sale since March.  It is now here and wonderful.  Dance Theatre of Harlem and Miami.  http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BTBSI

I wish SF [ fall 2018 had 2 east coast weeks - DC then NYC] would be the annual replacement product for Farrell.  With the bi-annual SF slot used for Miami, Harlem, etc.  

Well that's an interesting idea. Though I don't think it's really possible for such an arrangement to happen each and every year. I like the idea of West Coast companies such as PNB, SFB and maybe LA Dance Project taking turns appearing in D.C. or NYC each year - so that the East Coast audience can stay abreast of what is happening with the West Coast companies.

2 hours ago, pherank said:

Well that's an interesting idea. Though I don't think it's really possible for such an arrangement to happen each and every year. I like the idea of West Coast companies such as PNB, SFB and maybe LA Dance Project taking turns appearing in D.C. or NYC each year - so that the East Coast audience can stay abreast of what is happening with the West Coast companies.

I don't know what the economics are, but I think that would be terrific...