This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT: Roster in Review - 2018

1 hour ago, its the mom said:

I think you probably hit the nail on the head.  He was not cast in principal roles.  

Yup. I'm not super familiar with ENB's traditional performing schedule, but it doesn't seem to present too much of conflict if Cirio were to continue dancing with ABT for its Met season, and perhaps for some tours. 

https://www.ballet.org.uk/whats-on/

But given the fact that he's not cast in many leading roles during the Met season, I wonder if ABT would think worthwhile for him continue with the company in a reduced capacity. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, naomikage said:

English National Ballet's press release. Still unknown whether Cirio will leave ABT or not.

https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/promotions-new-dancers-joining-company-2018-19-season/

The fact that ABT didn't put out a "he's still dancing with us, too" press release, as they did for Simkin, makes me wonder if this is a true departure for Cirio. Or maybe they just felt more of a need to do that for Simkin, since he's been with ABT longer and probably has more of a fan base among ABT performance-goers.

Edited to add: I just noticed that ENB does mention that these new dancers are staying with their current company:

"From The National Ballet of Canada, Francesco Gabriele Frola and Emma Hawes join the Company as Principal and First Soloist respectively, while remaining dancers of The National Ballet of Canada."

The fact that they don't specify for Cirio makes me think it's either still up in the air or that he's in fact leaving ABT.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, naomikage said:

English National Ballet's press release. Still unknown whether Cirio will leave ABT or not.

https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/promotions-new-dancers-joining-company-2018-19-season/

Just now, fondoffouettes said:

The fact that ABT didn't put out a "he's still dancing with us, too" press release, as they did for Simkin, makes me wonder if this is a true departure for Cirio. Or maybe they just felt more of a need to do that for Simkin, since he's been with ABT longer and probably has more of a fan base among ABT performance-goers.

Based on how ENB worded the press release I'd suspect that he is leaving ABT. They said this about 2 dancers from NBC:

From The National Ballet of Canada, Francesco Gabriele Frola and Emma Hawes join the Company as Principal and First Soloist respectively, while remaining dancers of The National Ballet of Canada.

and this about Cirio:

Following his recent guest performances with the Company in Song of the Earth, La Sylphide, and Akram Khan’s Giselle, Jeffrey Cirio, currently Principal at American Ballet Theatre, joins English National Ballet as Lead Principal.

I guess we'll see if we hear anything from Cirio or ABT, but I suspect he is leaving. 

49 minutes ago, Rick said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but is ENB on the same level or a step up from ABT?

I'm not as knowledgeable as others on here when it comes to various companies, but I wouldn't consider ENB a step up. They're not nearly as prolific as ABT when it comes to the number of productions per year, though that's of course only one metric for judging a company. I've never seen them perform, so I can't speak to their artistry. And I'm not sure how their annual operating budgets compare.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 minute ago, fondoffouettes said:

I'm not as knowledgeable as others on here when it comes to various companies, but I wouldn't consider ENB a step up. They're not nearly as prolific as ABT when it comes to the number of productions or performances per year, though that's of course only one metric for judging a company. I've never seen them perform, so I can't speak to their artistry. And I'm not sure how their annual operating budgets compare.

I saw their "Lest We Forget" (3 commissioned ballets to commemorate the start of WWI) in 2014 in London and I'm thrilled that I will be able to see it again this September. Their director, Tamara Rojo, who is still dancing, is spectacular. They also have some principals I'd want to see anywhere -- Aaron Robison, Alina Cojacuro. Still, I have the same impression as fondoffouettes that they don't have the broad range of rep. They are bringing their Giselle to Chicago next winter and wish they'd arrange some other stops in North America, but I haven't seen any announcements.

18 minutes ago, California said:

I saw their "Lest We Forget" (3 commissioned ballets to commemorate the start of WWI) in 2014 in London and I'm thrilled that I will be able to see it again this September. Their director, Tamara Rojo, who is still dancing, is spectacular. They also have some principals I'd want to see anywhere -- Aaron Robison, Alina Cojacuro. Still, I have the same impression as fondoffouettes that they don't have the broad range of rep. They are bringing their Giselle to Chicago next winter and wish they'd arrange some other stops in North America, but I haven't seen any announcements.

But if Cirio is looking to dance more leading roles, he could potentially do Albrecht, Des Grieux, Siegfried and the Nutcracker cavalier with ENB in its upcoming season. That's a bit better than he has fared at ABT, especially if it's the princely roles he's looking for. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

ENB is a touring company that appears all over the UK —in places and at theaters you won’t see the Royal Ballet, nor is it at the level of the Royal. I  just saw them in two performances of Sleeping Beauty at the London Coliseum...they do have some wonderful dancers (Cojocaru who joined after departing the Royal is one of the finest ballerinas I have ever seen). However, I found the quality of their pure classical dancing rather uneven up-and-down the ranks across two different casts. Both nights I attended I saw bobbles and weaknesses to an extent that I didn’t see when, say, ABT danced Ratmansky’s production —and ABT was far from perfect. On the other hand, I very much liked a couple of soloists and it also looked to my eyes as if the dancers had been given some serious stylistic guidance, and that is not to be dismissed. Moreover, Sleeping Beauty is the very toughest of tests when it comes to classical dancing, and I would guess the company makes a more consistently strong impression in other productions and more contemporary repertory especially. They do have some striking productions and seem to do some very interesting programming of newer work that has gotten them attention. Fondoffouettes just posted as I was typing and I think the point is very well made made that whatever the exact comparison to ABT, the opportunities for Cirio himself may be better at ENB.

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

ENB is a touring company that appears all over the UK —in places and at theaters you won’t see the Royal Ballet, nor is it at the level of the Royal. I  just saw them in two performances of Sleeping Beauty at the London Coliseum...they do have some wonderful dancers (Cojocaru who joined after departing the Royal is one of the finest ballerinas I have ever seen). However, I found the quality of their pure classical dancing rather uneven up-and-down the ranks across two different casts. Both nights I attended I saw bobbles and weaknesses to an extent that I didn’t see when, say, ABT danced Ratmansky’s production —and ABT was far from perfect. On the other hand, I very much liked a couple of soloists and it also looked to my eyes as if the dancers had been given some serious stylistic guidance, and that is not to be dismissed. Moreover, Sleeping Beauty is the very toughest of tests when it comes to classical dancing, and I would guess the company makes a more consistently strong impression in other productions and more contemporary repertory especially. They do have some striking productions and seem to do some very interesting programming of newer work that has gotten them attention. Fondoffouettes just posted as I was typing and I think the point is very well made made that whatever the exact comparison to ABT, the opportunities for Cirio himself may be better at ENB.

It's interesting.  ENB is not at the level of Royal, but while I would have said once that ABT was the calibre of Royal, I no longer feel that way.  With the men at Royal, and the few strong men at the smaller company, ENB, I would say that London has some very strong dancers.  The group of men:  Hernandez, Caley, Robison, and now Cirio, along with a number of strong soloists, gives ENB a pretty good group of guys.  At ABT, once Cornejo and Hallberg are gone (and with Marcelo and Simkin at a limited engagement), what's left?   

1 hour ago, its the mom said:

It's interesting.  ENB is not at the level of Royal, but while I would have said once that ABT was the calibre of Royal, I no longer feel that way.  With the men at Royal, and the few strong men at the smaller company, ENB, I would say that London has some very strong dancers.  The group of men:  Hernandez, Caley, Robison, and now Cirio, along with a number of strong soloists, gives ENB a pretty good group of guys.  At ABT, once Cornejo and Hallberg are gone (and with Marcelo and Simkin at a limited engagement), what's left?   

It is definitely a big loss to ABT. Too bad they did not appreciate the talent and versatility of J Cirio. Hoping he will come back to guest .

ABT seems to rely on a specific rep and isn't a company that is known for advancing new choreography.  I think Cirio made a good decision for himself as not only is he a technically amazing dancer but also an artist and a choreographer.

5 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

But if Cirio is looking to dance more leading roles, he could potentially do Albrecht, Des Grieux, Siegfried and the Nutcracker cavalier with ENB in its upcoming season. That's a bit better than he has fared at ABT, especially if it's the princely roles he's looking for. 

Don't forget the Prince in Wheeldon's Cinderella - another classic - as well ... and appear in the fantastic Lest We Forget Triple Bill ... and maybe a featured role in Broken Dreams (such a stunning ballet) ... or in Stina Quagebeur's (such a talent) new work to premiered based in and around around Ibsen's A Doll's House .... etc., etc., ....  With the new building I assume they will reinstate the glorious ENB Choreographics programme - and Cirio will definitely have an opportunity to not only choreograph there ... but to have his work meaningfully seen ... and meaningfully filmed for posterity.  Not a bad move at all come to think of it.  Also ENB in recent years has had significant international tours including both Chicago, Japan and Paris at the Palais Garnier.

Has it been determined that Cirio WON'T any longer dance with ABT at all?  

Edited by meunier fan

The ones that got away: Jeffrey Cirio, Sterling Baca.... I'm personally heartbroken over Cirio. Saw him in Whipped Cream and loved him. Hated that he was relegated to partnering Copeland because her audiences are there for her, not whomever she's dancing with. I felt like he didn't stand a chance of truly being noticed. 

5 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

Cirio confirmed he is leaving ABT on Instagram 

It’s a nicely worded explanation, but does ENB present a lot of new rep each season? Four-fifths of their 2018-2019 season is dedicated to full-lengths that are also done at ABT in some form. The mixed program of new works is a repeat from a previous season. Maybe ABT’s taste in choreographers has been questionable at times, but they have definitely been trying to premiere more new works. Maybe Rojo has told him they have lots of new works planned for the future.

2 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

It’s a nicely worded explanation, but does ENB present a lot of new rep each season? Four-fifths of their 2018-2019 season is dedicated to full-lengths that are also done at ABT in some form. The mixed program of new works is a repeat from a previous season. Maybe ABT’s taste in choreographers has been questionable at times, but they have definitely been trying to premiere more new works. Maybe Rojo has told him they have lots of new works planned for the future.

How do the number of performances compare between ABT and ENB, does anyone know? It could be that the number of times to get out on stage makes a difference.

2 hours ago, meunier fan said:

Has it been determined that Cirio WON'T any longer dance with ABT at all?  

Nothing to that effect has been stated, by Cirio or ABT, that anyone has seen yet.

However, I'm going on the assumption (as I think others are too) that since he missed ABT's fall and Nutcracker season (and I think one leg of their January tour) when he was just a guest artist with ENB, we can expect the same if not more of an absence when he becomes a full-fledged company member next season. Maybe he'll still dance full-time at the Met, if he remains with ABT, but either way he won't be with us year round and I see that as a big loss. The male principal roster was already in trouble before this. Who knows, maybe this decision of his is motivated by his desire to be closer to his long-time girlfriend in Norway. But, I imagine we'll hear something official sooner rather than later.

Edited: I see I was typing at the same time others noted that he's leaving per his Instagram. Crap.

Edited by ABT Fan

Cirio is doing what I wish some of the women at ABT had done. Young, talented artists that are underused lose technique. My hat is off to Cirio for recognizing that he needed to take his future in his own hands and go where he'll get to dance a lot. Who knows? Maybe ABT will finally realize his worth and pay him big bucks to guest for them. 

As Cirio states, he'll get "to dance more roles", and I doubt that ONLY means in a diverse rep, though I'm sure that's part of it. He was probably told that he'll get a principal's load, unlike what McKenzie had him doing. 

I am very happy for him but I will miss him. This is a big loss, and especially for the short females at ABT. Simkin won't be around much (at least not full time) next year when he goes to Berlin, so who is going to dance with Lane, Brandt, Trenary, Copeland besides Cornejo??? Shayer will probably get promoted this year, but I don't see him ready to take on the big roles like Albrecht, Siegfried, etc.

15 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

As Cirio states, he'll get "to dance more roles", and I doubt that ONLY means in a diverse rep, though I'm sure that's part of it. He was probably told that he'll get a principal's load, unlike what McKenzie had him doing. 

I am very happy for him but I will miss him. This is a big loss, and especially for the short females at ABT. Simkin won't be around much (at least not full time) next year when he goes to Berlin, so who is going to dance with Lane, Brandt, Trenary, Copeland besides Cornejo??? Shayer will probably get promoted this year, but I don't see him ready to take on the big roles like Albrecht, Siegfried, etc.

Well, short women don't necessarily need to be partnered by short men, but there's definitely going to be shortage of male principals in general, with Bolle seemingly saying goodbye to ABT this season, Lendorf constantly injured and Hallberg dancing a much-reduced load. I don't really see anyone in the soloist rank who is likely to be promoted this year. It would be a real sign of desperation if they promoted Hammoudi. I wonder if ABT's interest in grooming Gorak for principal roles will be renewed. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, vagansmom said:

The ones that got away: Jeffrey Cirio, Sterling Baca.... I'm personally heartbroken over Cirio. 

SAME. I need a moment to process Cirio leaving, but huge respect to him. I did find it odd that his promotion didn't seem to reflect in the roles he was dancing with ABT...

Don't get me started on Bacca...UGH, that one HURTS. (and need I mention Matthew Golding?)

13 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Well, short women don't necessarily need to be partnered by short men, but there's definitely going to be shortage of male principals in general, with Bolle seemingly saying goodbye to ABT this season, Lendorf constantly injured and Hallberg dancing a much-reduced load. I don't really see anyone in the soloist rank who is likely to be promoted this year. It would be a real sign of desperation if they promoted Hammoudi. I wonder if ABT's interest in grooming Gorak for principal roles will be renewed. 

What has Gorak's workload been this Met season? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he dealing with some injuries the past few seasons...and I feel like the board/world has been pretty quiet on him since.

It's going to be interesting to see how ABT balances out their principal and soloist rosters and workload moving forward. The male/female composition in both is really offset to one side (principals: 8 women, 3 "full-time" men + another 3ish, soloists: 3 women, 7 men). I don't doubt that the male soloists have ability, but it's not like they've really had the opportunity to step up (minus Hammoudi, but that's going to be a pretty bland bunch of principal men)...I personally would love to see Blaine Hoven get a chance?? -- how has his season been going???