ABT Fan

ABT: Roster in Review - 2018

13 hours ago, Jayne said:

It might work for ABT have a fall season in Orange County with all their works.  Then spend Jan - June in NYC.  

ABT has to fit its NYC schedule into the available time at the Metropolitan Opera House and the formerly-known-as State Theatre.  The Met is occupied from late September through mid-May by the Metropolitan Opera Company.  There are a couple of open weeks in the fall at the State, so ABT has a fall season there.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:02 AM, its the mom said:

I think they did Fancy Free in 2015.  I just thought it would have been nice to give Robbins more of a nod on his 100th birthday.  Perhaps they will in the fall.  

I was not thrilled with what Dorrance did in Vail.  Perhaps I have not seen enough of her work.

I'm a sucker for rhythm, so I'm an instant audience for tap, but even with that, I think Dorrance is doing something really special with her work.  I saw a bit of the Tiler Peck/Bill Irwin work online, and loved it, in part because I'm a big Irwin fangirl.  Dorrance brought her Blues Project to Seattle a couple years ago and it just knocked me flat -- we see her again next month and I'm really excited. 

But not every work is for everyone -- your mileage may vary!

On 3/22/2018 at 6:17 AM, abatt said:

The invitation to Dorrance to choreograph a piece for ABT is bizarre.  I always go see Dorrance and her company, but tap  and ballet do not blend.  An experiment that may be completely appropriate and innovative for a summer festival is not not an experiment that should also be pursued at a large opera house.  This is a McKenzie gimmick.

Did you see her work at the Guggenheim?  I have a feeling that's part of the attraction in this commission for ABT -- she made that austere and beautiful space into a dance place.

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, meunier fan said:

It's interesting to note that the RB seems to subsidize McGregor's one act ballets when they appear - certainly in their premiere outings - by subsidizing the ticket prices.  They are much lower than the full lengths certainly.  (If memory serves this was true for the premiere of Woolf Works as well.) I don't know if this will be true for ABT's triple outing in this regard.  

I bought the RB tape and paid to see SFB and watch WB Day and can't understand it.

Edited by Vs1
error

On 3/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, its the mom said:

4) Severe lack of creativity and vision.  While the company is supposedly America's classical company, the dancers should be afforded the opportunity for strong contemporary work.  Looking around at the other large companies in the U.S. and abroad, they are all performing works which afford the dancers the opportunity to work with current, contemporary, and proven choreographers.  (PNB, SFB, Boston, and numerous European companies come to mind.) While many here will disagree, I am delighted that the dancers are working with McGregor.  I do not consider Lang, Millipied, and the latest announcement of Dorrance, to be of the caliber the dancers deserve.  Obviously, an opinion.  I also wonder why the company has not joined in on the MacMillan celebration or Robbins celebration (I realize they performed "Other Dances.")  

Is this what people want or expect from ABT or is it the company's role?

11 hours ago, Vs1 said:

Is this what people want or expect from ABT or is it the company's role?

I am not sure what you mean.

Just now, its the mom said:

I am not sure what you mean.

Warhorses, classics, or McGregor

Is Sean Stewart leaving the company? This post from Cassandra Trenary seems to suggest it, but it’s ambiguous.

79_BDF7_AE_349_F_4597_8_A34_7985_E3_E215

I wondered that too, about Stewart.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, fondoffouettes said:

Is Sean Stewart leaving the company? This post from Cassandra Trenary seems to suggest it, but it’s ambiguous.

Sean Stewart was one of the dancing peasant men in Act I of "Giselle" on Tuesday night - he is still listed in the corps.  According to his ABT bio, Sean Stewart joined the ABT corps de ballet in 1997 - twenty-one years ago.  He left the company in 2002 and rejoined in 2008.  I don't know his age but I think 40 is looming on the horizon.  Hopefully it is his choice to move on from his life in ballet since he has always been a very stylish dancer and a good performer.

Just now, FauxPas said:

Sean Stewart was one of the dancing peasant men in Act I of "Giselle" on Tuesday night - he is still listed in the corps.  According to his ABT bio, Sean Stewart joined the ABT corps de ballet in 1997 - twenty-one years ago.  He left the company in 2002 and rejoined in 2008.  I don't know his age but I think 40 is looming on the horizon.  Hopefully it is his choice to move on from his life in ballet since he has always been a very stylish dancer and a good performer.

Wow! I would have never guessed he was nearing 40. But ballet dancers seems to drink at the fountain of youth.