This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Walter Terry - or - what critics do you still read?

I came across a copy of the Ballet Companion at a local bookshop yesterday, and was thrilled to bring it home, but it's making me think about Terry, who was a very influential critic in his time, but doesn't really get read very often today. 

We all talk about Arlene Croce, and still use her writing as a way to think about ballet.  But who else do you read?  And especially, who else do you read when you're curious about past performances?

I look at Denby and Croce still, as well as Marcia Siegel and Deborah Jowitt.  I wish that Alan Kriegsman's work at the Washington Post was anthologized, and Michael Steel from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Any thoughts on whose work you'd like to see in an anthology?

I've been buying back issues of Dance Magazine and its sister publication, After Dark, for the features and the photographs. But I read the reviews regardless of the writer. I'm always amazed at how much Dance Magazine reviewed, and its reviews section gives a more comprehensive picture of what was going on than you get from just reading Croce.

Oh, absolutely -- for many years, Dance Magazine was a treasure trove of national reporting and reviewing.  I wrote for them briefly towards the end of this period, and I was always excited to see my byline next to so many people I admired. 

I think one of the reasons that they were so diligent in their coverage was Doris Hering, who ran Regional Ballet America (and its various manifestations) -- she took the work seriously and thought it deserved serious consideration.

Those older issues are well worth seeking out, for the the coverage and the images.