This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

L.A Dance Project. Miami 2/16

I went to see this against ALL my usually great instincts, mainly out of a self imposing mantra I have followed throughout the years.."Watch everything...the good, the not so good and even the bad"-(so I can really appreciate how good is the good). Also, Peck and Millepied were listed as choreographers for some of the pieces. And then...I left midway Peck's-(😶). 

Thing is...I can't help but to keep listening to that little voice that says...."I have seen THIS stuff done by ballet dancers, better shaped and better trained, and better choreographed",sometimes EVEN in tennis shoes-("In the Upper Room" always comes to mind, even not being my cup of tea). And then Ailey's "Revelations", or even my recent successful exposure to Graham's "Appalachian Spring". No...I am not totally divorced from contemporary works, but tonight the standards were too low-(at least to my taste). 🙄

I think you'd be better served by continuing to follow your original idea (see as much as you can of everything) -- I don't love everything I see, I don't even like a big chunk of what I see, but if I don't see it, I don't know what people are doing, where they're going, how they're exploring the art form.  Aside from the obvious element (you might miss something wonderful), if you don't keep looking, you won't see the breadth of the art form is.

Eventually, those changes will affect how people dance the work you do see, but you won't understand how those changes happened.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:16 PM, sandik said:

I think you'd be better served by continuing to follow your original idea (see as much as you can of everything) -- I don't love everything I see, I don't even like a big chunk of what I see, but if I don't see it, I don't know what people are doing, where they're going, how they're exploring the art form.  Aside from the obvious element (you might miss something wonderful), if you don't keep looking, you won't see the breadth of the art form is.

Eventually, those changes will affect how people dance the work you do see, but you won't understand how those changes happened.

I did so, and I rarely leave a bad offering until the end-(the worse scenario has been dozing off, as with in ABT's "The Tempest"). This time though....it was just too much of the uninteresting stuff. It was getting on my nerves.

Thank you for telling us about the performance, cubanmiamiboy. Sorry it was less than inspiring. You know, if it's a waste of your time, it's a waste of your time, and you are the only one who can make that decision. I might say something different to someone who's seen less dance than you have, but you're knowledgeable enough to know what you like.

I would actually disagree respectfully somewhat with sandik, who is right - to a point. I think seeing too much can (potentially) lead to a coarsening of taste, where stuff that really isn't that great looks great to you because you've been watching so much that's less than that.