This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NEA grants to ballet-February 2018

The National Endowment for the Arts has just announced new grants.

Largest grants in ballet: ABT, NYCB: $75,000

Miami City Ballet, PNB, Boston Ballet: $50,000

Houston Ballet: $35,000

Lots of grants to smaller regional companies in the $10,000-$15,000 range.

The complete list: https://www.arts.gov/sites/default/files/FY18_GrantAnnouncement2.7.18_Statev3.pdf

Use the search tool for "ballet" to see more details.

28 minutes ago, Helene said:

My favorites are some of the aka's:

• Pacific Symphony (aka Pacific Symphony)
  • TheatreWorks (aka TheatreWorks)

*snicker*

In my neck of the woods, the Pickford Center in Bellingham, WA is a very active presenter of the big dance cinema broadcasts (sometimes the only place in the state that things get screened)

Grants to both On the Boards (presents experimental works) and Pacific Northwest Ballet both to encourage new choreography.  And several other grants to dancey groups.  These grants will jump-start more support from institutions and individuals -- the NEA grant is like the USDA stamp of approval.  All of this while the Trump administration wants to eliminate the agency altogether.  Grrr.

22 minutes ago, Helene said:

That's why I'm surprised the SFB isn't on the list, given that even without the festival, they produce new work each season.

I think what you're seeing is a calendar/reporting period glitch.  I went back and looked at their grant history since 1998, and as you'd imagine, they've been regular recipients.  But right now they're in the middle of their new works festival -- the grant for that project began in May 2017 since the project has been under development for a long time.  Technically, they aren't getting new money in 2018, even though their current grant doesn't complete until next July.

2 hours ago, sandik said:

I think what you're seeing is a calendar/reporting period glitch.  I went back and looked at their grant history since 1998, and as you'd imagine, they've been regular recipients.  But right now they're in the middle of their new works festival -- the grant for that project began in May 2017 since the project has been under development for a long time.  Technically, they aren't getting new money in 2018, even though their current grant doesn't complete until next July.

Excellent sleuthing, Sandik - I think you may be right.