Quinten

Watching the Olympics

The athletes I’m rooting for are the French dance team, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron. 

Here they are doing Le Parc on Ice

https://youtu.be/CtCBdvKuiKA

I was also happy to see Savchenko and Massot win the gold. When I first saw them together Bruno was one of the most inelegant looking people you will ever see on the ice, but last night both he and Aljona were magical. The program was gorgeous, seamless, and you could hear a pin drop. 

Yes, last night was riveting! (Though I wish skating wasn't always on last, so late at night, no matter where the Olympics are taking place...results in a very difficult morning the next day....)

I was ecstatic for Savchenko/Massot. They were gorgeous and near-perfect. And, I loved their choreography - some very different and exciting moves from what I've seen.

I was sad for Sui/Han, though. It was their gold to lose, and they sure did. They're so powerful yet elegant and they were clearly very disappointed in the final results. 

James/Cipres - they are just "wow"!

4 hours ago, Deflope said:

The athletes I’m rooting for are the French dance team, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron. 

Here they are doing Le Parc on Ice

https://youtu.be/CtCBdvKuiKA

I was also happy to see Savchenko and Massot win the gold. When I first saw them together Bruno was one of the most inelegant looking people you will ever see on the ice, but last night both he and Aljona were magical. The program was gorgeous, seamless, and you could hear a pin drop. 

Agreed.  They were sublime.  Athletics and artistry combined for breathtaking results. 

So funny you say that because I immediately thought "R&J" during the upside down lift. You may be right.

I haven't been watching in real time this year, but I loved reading this final paragraph in a writeup on Savchenko and Massot in The New Yorker. Despite the description as "forward-looking...a modern twist," it sounds quite like the relationship between a (Balanchine, especially) prima ballerina and her cavalier:

Yet there was also a forward-looking feeling to the team, a modern twist on the strong-man, elegant-woman dynamic of pairs. Massot appeared courtly, but more so he looked awed by Savchenko’s presence and power. In pairs, the male skater leads, but for this team it was clear that the woman, five years older, was in charge. After the free skate ended, and Savchenko had collapsed on the ice in what looked like a career-capping gesture of release, Massot put his hands above his head and bowed to her.

There is a long history of the woman in Pairs shining through athleticism, though: it's not all about the strong man leading, like Gordeeva/Grinkov or the Protopopovs.  Irina Rodnina skated with interchangeable partners to three Olympic golds, and elegant was not an adjective that described her.   Isabelle Brasseur was as tiny as Savchenko -- who, in person, is incredibly tiny, despite her musculature -- and was the athletic, dynamic eye-catcher, and, similarly, Meagan Duhamel, whose partner is the very elegant Eric Duhamel.   I would even include Natalia Mishketienok, whose athleticism and power was constantly contrasted to Ekaterina Gordeeva's elegant, classic Russian pair woman style.  It has two flavors: you ignore the partner because of the woman, like Kirsten Moore-Towers, or you look at the similarly for similar strengths.

There are many, many teams who belie this stereotype, in Pairs as well as in Dance.  Even among the Russian teams, there was Ashtakova/Rogonov, who replaced Stolbova/Klimov, another Pair whose athleticism and movement style does not fit into the traditional mold.

Wow. Ok, I haven't watched figure skating in probably 4-5 years, so I don't know the current state of the sport. But I just finally watched the Savchenko-Massot gold-medal free skate, and that was unbelievable. I don't think I've ever seen a program that was so technically solid and so artistic at the same time. Talk about dance on ice. They were doing some step combinations I've truly never seen before. That was truly awe-inspiring.

From the NY Times: Scott Hamilton Was Demoted as an Olympic Broadcaster. Don’t Feel Sorry for Him.
By JULIET MACUR

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/18/sports/olympics/figure-skating-nbc-scott-hamilton-.html

"...Not with the rise of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, a pair of sequined Olympians-turned-pop-culture-idols. They are NBC’s primary figure skating analysts at the Pyeongchang Games. Hamilton has been relegated to a show called “Olympic Ice” on the secondary NBC Sports Network, where he teams up with Tanith Belbin, an Olympic silver medalist in ice dancing, and the sportscaster Liam McHugh."

“I calculated once how many times I fell during my skating career — 41,600 times,” he said. “But here’s the funny thing: I got up 41,600 times. That’s the muscle you have to build in your psyche — the one that reminds you to just get up.”

I'm sure many of us remember when Dick Button and Peggy Fleming dominated the broadcasts. I have to think they're worried about attracting younger audiences and I wonder how many of them even remember Scott's triumphs in 1984 - or how many were even born! Assume it's all about ratings.

16 minutes ago, California said:

I'm sure many of us remember when Dick Button and Peggy Fleming dominated the broadcasts. I have to think they're worried about attracting younger audiences and I wonder how many of them even remember Scott's triumphs in 1984 - or how many were even born! Assume it's all about ratings.

Gold medal winning snowboarder Chloe Kim was born in the year 2000. How old does that make you feel?   ;)
The Generation X-ers seem to portray the 1980s as a care-free golden era. That's a little hard to take, but it just shows you - it's all about our memories of youth.

I just watched the ice dance competition. Somehow haven't found this thread until now. But all three figure skating competitions have been hair-raising. Ice dancing is usually the one that's most predictable, but not in this Olympics. From Papadakis/Cizeron's unfortunate wardrobe malfunction in the SD to Hubbell/Donahue's fall in the free dance to the razor thin victory by Virtue Moir, wow, that was just so thrilling!

10 hours ago, California said:

Scott Hamilton has made huge contributions to figure skating, but I did not like his style of commentary at all. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir aren't just younger and hipper and more fun to watch -- they are more informative! Or seem so to me--a very casual fan. And I am much closer to Hamilton's age than to theirs.

I did love Peggy Fleming, but that was because she was Peggy Fleming not because I found her commentary particularly illuminating. (And she is still Peggy Fleming to me.)

Edited by Drew
Too many italics....

NBC wanted to hire Adam Rippon to be a paid correspondent for the remainder of the games, but he declined and is coming on as merely a guest.  He said he would have had to resign as an Olympian in order to take a correspondent job, and he did not want to do that.  He wanted the full Olympic experience even though his performances are over.

11 hours ago, canbelto said:

I just watched the ice dance competition. Somehow haven't found this thread until now. But all three figure skating competitions have been hair-raising. Ice dancing is usually the one that's most predictable, but not in this Olympics. From Papadakis/Cizeron's unfortunate wardrobe malfunction in the SD to Hubbell/Donahue's fall in the free dance to the razor thin victory by Virtue Moir, wow, that was just so thrilling!

10 hours ago, Drew said:

Scott Hamilton has made huge contributions to figure skating, but I did not like his style of commentary at all. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir aren't just younger and hipper and more fun to watch -- they are more informative! Or seem so to me--a very casual fan. And I am much closer to Hamilton's age than to theirs.

I did love Peggy Fleming, but that was because she was Peggy Fleming not because I found her commentary particularly illuminating. (And she is still Peggy Fleming to me.)

My preference-- guess I'm just a cranky old lady--is no commentary or minimal call on the elements. Tara and johnny are pretty snarky and they talk incessantly. Scott Hamilton is a hero in so many ways--his courage is nothing short of remarkable--but his fever pitch excitement doesn't do it for me. 

If I had to choose among the NBC commentators, I'd rather listen to Tanith Belbin White than anyone else. But I've been watching full coverage on the NBC sports app through my cable company while we're away and the two commentators (one sounds Australian?) are very easy to listen to and informative. They call it without going over the top. 

On this ship (we get off tomorrow morning and I can go back to watching in real time) they are showing basketball, golf, soccer and football. But not even Olympic hightlights. Grrr. Didn't take that into account when I chose this cruise. 

Glad to have NBC sports, which archives, along with my dvr. 

3 hours ago, rkoretzky said:

On this ship (we get off tomorrow morning and I can go back to watching in real time) they are showing basketball, golf, soccer and football. But not even Olympic hightlights. Grrr. Didn't take that into account when I chose this cruise.

That may be a licensing issue. I wonder if the cruise line works with only a single media provider? (aside from any wi-fi Internet that that passengers can receive that would make the various Olympic info websites available to you). Are there cruise ships that only provide programs from a single network, for example the FOX network, on their communal TVs?

47 minutes ago, pherank said:

That may be a licensing issue. I wonder if the cruise line works with only a single media provider? (aside from any wi-fi Internet that that passengers can receive that would make the various Olympic info websites available to you). Are there cruise ships that only provide programs from a single network, for example the FOX network, on their communal TVs?

Good point pherank. In fact I did ask and licensing was given as the reason. Just caught another sport on tv --bowling. Other than that the cruise has been a welcome short break from the NY winter. 

On the inroom tv there is a choice of MSNBC and Fox. 

delete

Edited by maps
update

Watching the women's short program, I had to agree with Lipinski that Miyahara's routine was beautiful, effortless and stylistically a nice change from what I'm used to seeing. I seem to remember Weir saying that Miyahara's skate didn't make him smile, and I understand that too, but her movements, choreography and music are all aiming for a different effect.

My dream is if they ever do the Bolero format again for Ice Age, Ilya Averbukh somehow gets Cizeron and pairs him up with Smirnova.