This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ib Andersen to Present New Firebird in 2019

Ballet Arizona will perform an entirely new production of The Firebird next season, in February 2019. This will be Artistic Director Ib Andersen's most spectacular new production in some time, and it will feature all new choreography by him, as well as original costumes and sets. Given Mr. Andersen's Royal Danish Ballet instilled skills in story-telling, it will be interesting to see how he interprets the not-so-well-known story for Arizona audiences. It will, of course, feature Stravinsky's legendary score, which will be performed by The Phoenix Symphony at Symphony Hall.

Ballet Arizona's press release says: "The world premiere of Andersen’s The Firebird is based on a Russian fairytale, with a singularly original twist. This unique performance tells this classic story through the lens of the present-future, exploring themes of love, fantasy, and escapism, making it perfectly in tune with Stravinsky’s modern score."

Details at Broadway World

Edited by fiddleback
6 hours ago, fiddleback said:

Ballet Arizona will perform an entirely new production of The Firebird next season, in February 2019. This will be Artistic Director Ib Andersen's most spectacular new production in some time, and it will feature all new choreography by him, as well as original costumes and sets. Given Mr. Andersen's Royal Danish Ballet instilled skills in story-telling, it will be interesting to see how he interprets the not-so-well-known story for Arizona audiences. It will, of course, feature Stravinsky's legendary score, which will be performed by The Phoenix Symphony at Symphony Hall.

Ballet Arizona's press release says: "The world premiere of Andersen’s The Firebird is based on a Russian fairytale, with a singularly original twist. This unique performance tells this classic story through the lens of the present-future, exploring themes of love, fantasy, and escapism, making it perfectly in tune with Stravinsky’s modern score."

Details at Broadway World

Just think of the Arizonan possibilities. The Firebird could be a roadrunner and Kastchei Wile E Coyote...

I went to Ib Andersen's Cinderella last night with the Phoenix Symphony and enjoyed it very much. Big, lush production with beautiful sets and costumes, excellent dancers, all parts well done. I was particularly amused with the two ugly sisters who had delightful, inventive material. That sort of thing has to be very hard to choreograph. It's not my favorite ballet score by any means, but the Symphony did a terrific job with it. Their next program - March 22nd - 'Modern Masters' - will present new ballets by Mr. Andersen, Alejandro Cerrudo (Hubbard Street), and Nayon Iovino, who's a principal with the company. I saw a ballet he did for the company last year and it was very good. This is a company with dancers on a high level and a very good director. What they need is more dancers and more money. 

Yes, to both, Rock.

It's remarkable what Andersen continues to do on a relative shoestring, and I wish other companies could/would present his full-length ballets and some of the one-acts as well, like 2b and the work done to Shostakovich piano pieces (Preludes and Interludes?).