This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Those Diamond Earrings

Perusing the internet for ballet images as I so often do, I encountered a fascinating image whose inscription reads: "Maya Plisetskaya giving Alina (Somova, of course) her diamond earrings after a performance of The Little Humpbacked Horse". How I remain riveted to this photo ! What a thrill it must have been for this young artist to have received such a gift from the hands of a master ! It's one of those off-stage moments that is, for me, a thing of pure inspiration. I wonder if anyone out there on Ballet Alert can recall a similar ballet moment that they also treasure as I do this timeless encounter between these two wonderful ladies?

Edited by altongrimes
10 hours ago, altongrimes said:

Perusing the internet for ballet images as I so often do, I encountered a fascinating image whose inscription reads: "Maya Plisetskaya giving Alina (Somova, of course) her diamond earrings after a performance of The Little Humpbacked Horse". How I remain riveted to this photo ! What a thrill it must have been for this young artist to have received such a gift from the hands of a master ! It's one of those off-stage moments that is, for me, a thing of pure inspiration. I wonder if anyone out there on Ballet Alert can recall a similar ballet moment that they also treasure as I do this timeless encounter between these two wonderful ladies?

What a wonderful photograph and Alina Somova IS a wonderful Tsar Maiden and rightfully won the Golden Mask for her role in this ballet.  With her beauty and long lines and expressive acting she is a perfect princess and Tsar Maiden.   Evidently Maya also thought so - amazing gesture from her.   Not the same, but  also relating to the great Maya Plisetskaya, I remember being in the audience in 2013 when Maya Plisetskaya and Rodion Shchedrin were in the Tsar's Loge in Mariinsky 2 for the performance of Uliana Lopatkina as the Tsar Maiden.  Gergiev was conducting.  I think many thought this would not entirely be Uliana's role - but she was charm and vivacity personified and truly looked like a young girl on stage - she looked so happy.  There were many bouquets and Uliana tried to give some of hers to Shklyarov, but he insisted she have his.  Anyway, at the end Maya stood and applauded and where at the end of the ballet the dancers often wave from the stage, they were all smiling and waving and clapping back at Maya, and she was waving back.    Great memory!

Edited by MadameP

Thank you to MadameP for your gracious and generous response ! It must have been magic for you to have been in that audience at Mariinsky 2 and to have witnessed the synergy between Ulliana, Shklyarov, the dancers and the great Plisetskaya ! Surely, the price of admission and the sometimes Herculenian effort required just to get from the airport to the theater ontime is often more than justified by moments such as these that fuel and sustain our drive for the art form.

Edited by altongrimes