mnacenani

Marie-Agnes Gillot and Karl Paquette Last Bows

M-A Gillot is due to take her last bows on 31st March at the end of "Orphée et Eurydice" by Pina Bausch. Karl Paquette is due to bow out in December and has chosen Cinderella for his farewell

Such a beautiful woman, perhaps modelling could become a career move for her.

Posted (edited)

I am preparing myself psychologically for La Gillot's farewell, the only TRUE Diva of the ballet world  *cough* unlike those try hard Russians*cough*  The one and only Queen of contemporary ballet *cough*unlike those tragic try hard russians*cough*, a most precious Lilac Fairy, Nikiya, Odile, Street Dancer and by far the greatest Myrtha I ever saw (Vive les sad Myrthas!). She really had it all......Good technique, acting skills, charisma, stage presence, magnetism.... not to mention she's DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!?. Her performances as Myrtha and in Neumeier's Sylvia are sealed in my brain. 

It was Ghislaine Thesmar who once said that Magillot has "A luminosity seen only once in a generation". Without her l'opera will be left without its only real étoile, she's a real rockstar..........oh my God, this is gonna hurt like hell😥. 

Myrtha

Sylvia

Jeune Homme 

Lilac Fairy

Street Dancer 

Orphée et Eurydice

Signes

Tree of Codes

Edited by Gnossie

Posted (edited)

Wonderful videos....thank you. 

Sadly, POB remains very unfamiliar to me. I saw them a handful of times in the pre-Nureyev days, and perhaps twice after he became director.  And that is pretty much it...though I also saw Letestu and Martinez dance in a gala in New York when she was more or less in her prime.

Some of the company's repertory choices are baffling to me. But they have had any number of great dancers whose careers I entirely missed getting even a glimpse of on tour. Gillot is one of them.

Edited by Drew
typo

When the POB visited the United States in 2012 it hadn't toured the country in some 20 years. Obviously American audiences missed the careers of many French dancers as a result. But on that tour Gillot danced Myrtha, Béjart's Bolero and Bausch's Eurydice, and she was sensational in all those roles.

6 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

When the POB visited the United States in 2012 it hadn't toured the country in some 20 years. Obviously American audiences missed the careers of many French dancers as a result. But on that tour Gillot danced Myrtha, Béjart's Bolero and Bausch's Eurydice, and she was sensational in all those roles.

I was disappointed to miss out on that tour. I was deciding whether to come up to New York for their planned summer 2018 tour when it was cancelled.

On March 25, French TV (channel 5) will air a documentary about Gillot's preparation for her Farewell. :crying:

9 hours ago, Drew said:

Some of the company's repertory choices are baffling to me.

They're baffling to anyone with a well functional brain.

Don Quixote 

Prodigal Son

Rubies 

Bayaderka

The Queen. 

And Finally, yes, more Signes, this time with Kader Belarbi, they were unbelievable together. 

From the casting for Sasha Waltz's Romeo and Juliet at the POB Web site, I noticed that Herve Moreau is not listed. Has he decided to retire quietly without a farewell performance?

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

From the casting for Sasha Waltz's Romeo and Juliet at the POB Web site, I noticed that Herve Moreau is not listed. Has he decided to retire quietly without a farewell performance?

That is correct, though he has battled with injuries for the last few years. That may be why.

Posted (edited)

No, The great Hervé hasn't "decided" to retire quietly, he is -very unfortunately- injured AGAIN and unable to dance in his scheduled farewell. Heartbreaking to see how injuries are taking from such an special artist the opportunity to retire like he deserves. 

Even more disheartening to see the cast for Romeo and Juliet and realize the mediocre level of the new so-called "etoiles" who have to take on Waltz's Romeo, a role created for Moreau. No one among the current crop of dancers can even come close to this great artist. 

Edited by Gnossie

The Royal Ballet has similar problems with injuries, perhaps if they just performed the classical rep there wouldn't be such a strain on their bodies.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:47 AM, Mashinka said:

The Royal Ballet has similar problems with injuries, perhaps if they just performed the classical rep there wouldn't be such a strain on their bodies.

This is the same thing that every single balletomane has been saying in Paris from the last....... well, even before I was born! But when you have such an INEPT management there's nothing you can do, besides suffering. 

Posted (edited)

"I would develop children's curiosity by bringing them to the theatre to see great actors... or even to fashion shows where they've made clothes out of bin bags so that they have creativity in them instead of just commands and orders all the time."

"We need to work so that they do not lose their personalities and their creativity, because actually we are stifling the children."

That's Madame Gillot talking about school's in general, not about the POB school only, in fact Gillot has been one of the defenders of the school from the hate/complaint/revengeful narrative of people like Dupont. 

On the difficulties of being promoted: 

"I was too talented and they would not accept any mistakes from me. They were super tough with me but with the middling types they said, 'Don't worry, we will let you through.'

"No one ever gave me a free pass," she said. "People before me who fell (during their final test) and people after too went on to be principal dancers while I could not make the smallest mistake. The merest weakness on stage and they would not allow me to pass."

"Gillot was finally named prima ballerina in 2004, the first time a dancer was ever promoted in Paris for dancing a modern piece, Carolyn Carlson's "Signes".

The great French choreographer Maurice Bejart said that for years he had urged the ballet to make her a principal, saying "she was the best, and finally they decided."

Gillot said that until she "ran away to New York" she was not given the roles she felt she deserved.

Tall and with a swimmer's physique, she said was outside the often narrowly defined idea of how a ballerina should look.

"I've been described with adjectives like athletic, tall, atypical, rebel and punk since I was very little. But I don't see it!" she laughed.

"I see myself as a good soldier with a lot of discipline who has embraced all types of dance and never given either classical or contemporary a priority."

And finally: 

She said she had spent the last three months tearfully "grieving" her exit from an institution where she has spent most of her life. "Now I just want to get on with it," she laughed. 

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/ballet-schools-stifling-young-dancers-says-top-star-111051293.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

It seems like it was yesterday when she was promoted and now, in just a little over than 48 hours, she will be retired.  :crying::crying::crying:

Edited by Gnossie

On 29/3/2018 at 5:26 PM, Gnossie said:

:crying::crying::crying:

Gillot with her son and also with her dog

Mathilde Froustey posted this footage of Marie-Agnes and Aurelie Dupont's improvised dance at the retirement ceremony:

Just this week I saw (on youtube) a peformance of Gillot as Myrtha (with Pujol and LeRiche).  Her grand jetes were astonishing!