This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BW Academy Alumnus Nathan Chen Heading to the Olympics

Helene

From the press release I received today via email:

BALLET WEST ACADEMY ALUMNUS
NATHAN CHEN WILL REPRESENT
TEAM USA AT THE WINTER OLYMPICS

SALT LAKE CITY, UT – January 17, 2018 – In a tour-de-force display of artistry and athleticism, Nathan Chen won the national title at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships last weekend and secured his spot for the upcoming Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. Nathan trained at Ballet West Academy for six years, dancing alongside company dancers in The Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, and The Nutcracker.Taping a promotional package at the Ballet West studios for NBC News this fall, Nathan told correspondent Stephanie Gosk, “This is where it all started. My training and ballet background definitely gives me the competitive edge on the ice.”
62f59196-b979-4893-bd74-fccbc51d019e.jpg
“He had an incredible one-of-a-kind focus,” said Peter Christie, former Academy Director and current Education and Outreach Director. “It was clear to all of us watching him that this was his destiny. He has the drive and determination to make all of his dreams come true.” His talents were even noticed by the late Ballet Master Mark Goldweber who created a variation just for Chen in The Sleeping Beauty to show off his jumping abilities. Now, five years later, Nathan is the first and currently the only skater competing with five different types of quadruple jumps: toe loop, Salchow, loop, flip, and Lutz. He also holds the record for the first skater to land seven clean quadruple jumps in a competition.

“What Nathan has accomplished is truly remarkable,” said Artistic Director Adam Sklute. “We are proud to have played a role in his success. He has earned our deep respect and I will be loudly cheering him on from Salt Lake City next month when he competes in South Korea.”