This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Humans marks the latest entry in my list of award-winning plays (2016 Tony Award for best play) that left me flat. I just don't get what critics (and some audience members) see in plays like this. The Humans is a one-act play that (to me) comes across as the first act in a multi-act play. Three generations of a family gather at the home of the youngest daughter/granddaughter for Thanksgiving dinner. During the course of the normal before-dinner, during-dinner, and after-dinner conversations, the characters reveal their health, financial, and relationship issues. And then the play ends. Without anything being resolved, or even seriously addressed. None of the problems that any of the characters faced are especially unusual; the only thing that differs from what many real families face is that all the problems cropped up in the same year.

Completely agree with you. I saw it on Broadway.  The play didn't speak to me or move me at all. 

I thought both Eclipsed and King Charles III, both nominated for best play that season, were far superior to The Humans. King Charles III was broadcast on PBS previously, but I don't know if it is still available for viewing on their website.

Edited by abatt