Sign in to follow this  
mussel

Sarasota @ Joyce Aug. 2018

I'd really like to see this, missed them last visit. I wish the Joyce site would state which works are being performed by  the various choreographers. Maybe too soon? 

I enjoyed them so much last year that I bought tickets to several performances right away without knowing what they would be performing, since it had not been announced.

Big mistake. I just looked at the Joyce's website and the rep is up. I could not be more disappointed. For a 6 performance run they are only performing 3 pieces plus 1 performance of "TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano". And out of those 3 pieces only one is by Ashton. One. Only 1 Ashton. 

There is a special program for both shows on Saturday "(In honor of the 30th anniversary of Ashton’s death)" consisting of:

Varii Capricci by Frederick Ashton
TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano
Symphony of Sorrow by Ricardo Graziano

Don't ask me how that honors the anniversary of Ashton's death, unless Graziano is arranging Ashton divertissements, which I think would be unlikely.

And this is the program to be performed at all of the other performances:

There where she loved by Christopher Wheeldon

I am just amazed that this company that has made its reputation on its productions of Ashton's ballets is bringing such a small, weak rep with so little Ashton.

Next time I'll wait for them to announce the rep!

23 minutes ago, nysusan said:

I enjoyed them so much last year that I bought tickets to several performances right away without knowing what they would be performing, since it had not been announced.

Big mistake. I just looked at the Joyce's website and the rep is up. I could not be more disappointed. For a 6 performance run they are only performing 3 pieces plus 1 performance of "TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano". And out of those 3 pieces only one is by Ashton. One. Only 1 Ashton. 

There is a special program for both shows on Saturday "(In honor of the 30th anniversary of Ashton’s death)" consisting of:

TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano

Don't ask me how that honors the anniversary of Ashton's death, unless Graziano is arranging Ashton divertissements, which I think would be unlikely.

And this is the program to be performed at all of the other performances:

There where she loved by Christopher Wheeldon

I am just amazed that this company that has made its reputation on its productions of Ashton's ballets is bringing such a small, weak rep with so little Ashton.

Next time I'll wait for them to announce the rep!

We only have tickets for Saturday, so it looks like we'll be seeing the "special" program.  I agree that it would be nice if Graziano is arranging Ashton divertissements....but who knows. 

Hello!

I do hope this isn't inappropriate to comment here regarding this, but I work for The Sarasota Ballet and I thought I would tell you that there is a rather large error on the Joyce website regarding the repertoire. I know we have spoken with the Joyce about this and hopefully it will be fixed on their site soon.

However, just for you all to know, the repertoire is the following:

Program 1

Sir Frederick Ashton's Monotones I & II   |   Ricardo Graziano's Symphony of Sorrows   |   Christopher Wheeldon's There Where She Loved

Program 2

Starts with Wheeldon's There Where She Loved and then to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Ashton's passing the program will include Monotones I & II and four Ashton diverts/extracts (La Chatte Métamorphosée en Femme; the pas de trois from Les Patineurs; Méditation from Thaïs; and the final pas de deux from The Two Pigeons, performed by Victoria Hulland and guest artist Marcelo Gomes).

I hope that clears up the mistake (and hopefully any disappointment as well!)

1 hour ago, Ettore said:

Program 2

Starts with Wheeldon's There Where She Loved and then to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Ashton's passing the program will include Monotones I & II and four Ashton diverts/extracts (La Chatte Métamorphosée en Femme; the pas de trois from Les Patineurs; Méditation from Thaïs; and the final pas de deux from The Two Pigeons, performed by Victoria Hulland and guest artist Marcelo Gomes).

Ettore - Thank you for posting this update! The Joyce website is now correct ... and while I was there I bought a ticket to Program 2. 😁

There's never enough Ashton.

2 hours ago, Ettore said:

Hello!

I do hope this isn't inappropriate to comment here regarding this, but I work for The Sarasota Ballet and I thought I would tell you that there is a rather large error on the Joyce website regarding the repertoire. I know we have spoken with the Joyce about this and hopefully it will be fixed on their site soon.

Program 1

Sir Frederick Ashton's Monotones I & II   |   Ricardo Graziano's Symphony of Sorrows   |   Christopher Wheeldon's There Where She Loved

Program 2

Ettore, thank you so much for clearing that up. I can never see Monotones enough so now all disappointment is gone and I am thrilled that i have tickets to 4 performances. I may have to break my "no Saturday matinee" rule and buy another ticket so I can see the Ashton diverts twice. Once everybody in NY knows that Marcelo is dancing on Saturday those 2 performances will surely sell out so I'm buying that extra ticket now!

53 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Ettore - Thank you for posting this update! The Joyce website is now correct ... and while I was there I bought a ticket to Program 2. 😁

There's never enough Ashton.

20 minutes ago, nysusan said:

Ettore, thank you so much for clearing that up. I can never see Monotones enough so now all disappointment is gone and I am thrilled that i have tickets to 4 performances. I may have to break my "no Saturday matinee" rule and buy another ticket so I can see the Ashton diverts twice. Once everybody in NY knows that Marcelo is dancing on Saturday those 2 performances will surely sell out so I'm buying that extra ticket now! 

Happy to have helped, and hopefully see you at the Joyce and maybe even Sarasota!

3 hours ago, Ettore said:

Hello!

Program 1

Program 2

Thank you so much for all of the information!  I am looking forward to seeing The Sarasota Ballet, and also delighted that I will also be seeing Marcelo!

Sign in to follow this