This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New culture editor at The New York Times

Well, this is encouraging.

He and his staff at Watching have expanded the scope of service journalism at The Times — launching a newsletter with hundreds of thousands of subscribers and helping readers navigate their way through this overwhelming era of Peak TV. Recently, Watching launched a tutorial on how to cut the cable cord as well as a lively guide on how to prepare for the latest “Star Wars” movie.

Not a single mention of the performing arts. Has this guy seen a play or heard an orchestra live? Write and complain, subscribers, and remind the Times that you're forking over your money to them and you're not dead yet.

I hope the Times is getting a cut from Disney for promoting their franchise.

The most obvious changes to the arts pages, which predated the promotion of this fellow, were giant photos spread across the front of the section,  Times readers presumably being bored easily by text, chatty Q&As with dancers about their favorite roles and favorite yogurt, and dialogues between Times critics instead of reviews by the critics. I gather these exchanges are popular online.

9 hours ago, dirac said:

The most obvious changes to the arts pages, which predated the promotion of this fellow, were giant photos spread across the front of the section,  Times readers presumably being bored easily by text, chatty Q&As with dancers about their favorite roles and favorite yogurt, and dialogues between Times critics instead of reviews by the critics. I gather these exchanges are popular online.

The Bonnie Fuller-ization of the Times . . .

(Regular "readers" of US Weekly and Star will know what I'm talking about.)

On 3/9/2018 at 6:24 AM, miliosr said:

The Bonnie Fuller-ization of the Times . . .

(Regular "readers" of US Weekly and Star will know what I'm talking about.)

The only thing missing are the drawn over red arrows, indicating who is “hot” or “not”.  

Edited by Jayne
Spelling

Beyond that, I heard through the grapevine that they are no longer sending out their art-form specific email notifications (that email with links to all the dance-specific content in each issue).  I've been following along with a Facebook discussion about the general trend towards taking "dance" as a topic or a label out of names (Dance Theater Workshop becoming New York Live Arts, Gina Gibney's space shifting from "Gibney Dance" to just "Gibney.")  On the one hand, these changes acknowledge the variety of work that goes on in these spaces, but I'm still a bit apprehensive about taking the "dance" out of the identity. This change at the NYT seems in line with this general trend.

Edited by sandik
Just now, sandik said:

Beyond that, I heard through the grapevine that they are no longer sending out their art-form specific email notifications (that email with links to all the dance-specific content in each issue).

Hi Sandik, I'm not part of the grapevine, I'm directly affected by this new policy--I was recently advised that I will no longer get "ABT Alerts" in my email. Admittedly, this is a first world problem, but it speaks to the slow deterioration of the importance of the arts in general, and ballet as a fine art in particular. On the other hand, most of the alerts were addressed on this forum, so I'll still be in the game.

1 hour ago, angelica said:

Hi Sandik, I'm not part of the grapevine, I'm directly affected by this new policy--I was recently advised that I will no longer get "ABT Alerts" in my email. Admittedly, this is a first world problem, but it speaks to the slow deterioration of the importance of the arts in general, and ballet as a fine art in particular. On the other hand, most of the alerts were addressed on this forum, so I'll still be in the game.

True, those of us that follow along here will keep up with the details, but as you point out, this does affect the way that the art form is perceived in the general population.  If the words don't show up in the text, people don't see them, don't get that unconscious nudge that "dance" is a topic of discussion.  And in the age of search engines, how do you look for something that doesn't have a name?

14 hours ago, Jayne said:

The only thing missing are the drawn ober red arrows, indicating who is “hot” or “not”.  

And the 'Stars -- They're Just Like Us!' feature replete with a photo of someone doing something mundane (i.e. Sara Mearns pumping gas.)

I was surprised by the discontinuation of emails. They suggested signing up for a newsletter, but the link doesn't work.

On the positive side there are things I do like about the Times' arts reporting, such as the weekly "what to see in the galleries" capsule reviews and the weekly selection of classical music You Tube clips. They certainly do review the big dance companies (downtown was once the province of the Village Voice and I'm not sure where to go now for that). One area the Times has fallen down on is architecture and city planning reporting since Herbert Muschamp died and they replaced Nicolai Ourourssoff with arts-generalist Michael Kimmelman. But then the New Yorker certainly isn't doing its Skyline column much anymore. I do like it that the Times finally liberated the book section from being a subset of arts and let it have its own heading under the table of contents.

Not sure if this culture editor's cv is not that much different from the last one's, and wasn't there anyway a hiatus in between editors? What seems to be important is that the Times is financially better off than before, due to increased subscriptions as a result, in part, to Trump's ascendency – and maybe a little fatigue with secondary sources of news (ie rumor) via the internet.

Edited by Quiggin