This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2018

I would love to see someone like Joseph Gordon or even Anthony Huxely dance in Mozartiana. Chase Finley was constantly running behind the music and omitted so many steps. At least Tyler Angle did all the steps(not the best looking arabesque though). 

Edited by alexL
2 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Anthony Huxley did dance Mozartiana with Sterling Hyltin a few seasons ago.

Thanks for the reminder canbelto. I saw them, but don't remember Huxley at all. I remember thinking Sterling Hyltin had the start of something great. I'm afraid I'm one of those who sees Maria K as no longer up to the task. She is a beautiful woman with the kind of arabesque line that can touch your soul. However, I just don't see the steps that are in the video of Suzanne or my memory of Kyra Nichols and others. It is a technically challenging role, as are many of the roles created on Farrell. 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, abatt said:

Also, why are Applebaum, Scrudato and certain other men languishing as permanent corps members.  They were both far superior to Veyette in Divertimento.  

Both Applebaum and Scordato were very good in Divertimento and I agree worthy of promotion.

39 minutes ago, jerryb said:

Both Applebaum and Scordato were very good in Divertimento and I agree worthy of promotion.

I have appreciated both men in the past, but they really were superb in Divertimento -- graceful, with ease, and engaged-- and quite a contrast to Veyette.  I have been a fan of Veyette's generally-- but this performance, like others said, was so very labored. It marred an otherwise splendid performance of the ballet.

8 minutes ago, canbelto said:

T. Angle has also been replaced in Chaconne. 

Who is replacing him? He's still listed (as of just now) on the link from the NYCB casting page for Saturday evening the 3rd. Is there another more current listing?

Edited to add:

Sorry, I see now he's apparently only replaced on Tuesday evening.

Edited by nanushka

One look at Unity Phelan as the curtain went up Tuesday evening at NYCB and I knew that this performance of Divertimento No. 15 would be smashing! Not to be still smarting about Tiler Peck’s absence in this is impossible. Nevertheless, a dazzling Ashley Bouder led Phelan, Ashly Isaacs, Indiana Woodward and the rest of the cast in a brilliant rendition of this gorgeous ballet.  

To have seen within the space of a few days both Ashley Laracey and Unity Phelan perform the role of the ballerina who is assigned the Third Variation is ample reason to rejoice. Even though the latter naturally lacks as yet the former’s refinement and expertise, her debut in this major part was exhilarating and memorable. 

In this ballet, Balanchine has at separate instances various women—the two designated to dance the Third and Fourth Variations, as well as the members of the corps in the "Minuet"—arrest their forward motion and lean one leg first and then entire body slightly backwards. What an incredibly elegant gesture!—one lovely to also see Ashly Isaacs do justice to it in her variation (the Fourth).

During the "Andante," the ballerina who danced the First Variation executes in her apportioned pas de deux segment a sequence of movements in attitude by first extending one of her arms forward. The adorable way Indiana Woodward performs this—forever etched in my delicate memory from the last time the company presented Divertimento—is a marvel to be cherished. 

All three men in the cast—Chase Finlay in the Fifth Variation; Joseph Gordon and (I believe) Cameron Dieck in the Theme—were excellent last night.

It is a tribute to the talent and artistry of Sara Mearns, Maria Kowroski, Anthony Huxley, Russell Janzen and other members of the company, as well as to the genius of Balanchine that there was plenty to enjoy in The Four Temperaments and Chaconne after last evening’s thrilling performance of Divertimento.

17 hours ago, SCchck said:

Head is spinning on the number of debuts here. Interested to hear how Peter Walker fares as Romeo... I was extremely taken with him in the corps of Glass Pieces last year-- so much power and intention in his movement. I can't imagine how he would learn a title role like this on top of debuting his own choreography (tonight).

Actually, the only lead debut roles for the R&J casts are the two new Romeos, Coll and Walker.  All of the Juliets are repeats from prior seasons.  In fact, Tiler Peck, Sterling Hyltin and Erica Pereira have been doing Juliet since the production debuted in 2007.  Perhaps this will be their last season in the role.  It would be nice to see some new Juliets. 

I recall being pleasantly surprised by Lauren Lovette and Chase Finlay in the leads.  However, when I saw them they were still engaged to be married. I wonder if the chemistry will be the same this time, since they split up.

I felt grateful to see Maria Kowroski in Chaconne last night. She carries it off like a true ballerina, a star. She confidently accepts her authority and her role as queen, sprinkling in humor and playfulness, charmingly shy and yet bold, and never failing to address and engage the audience. What a great dancer. I hope the younger ones can learn from her. 

I also loved Isabella LaFreniere in one of the featured roles of Chaconne. Lively and beautiful, with a beaming smile and beaming presence. 

Unity Phelan is so beautiful it's to die for, but I felt, as Royal Blue said above, that she does not yet have the elegance and radiance that Ashley Laracey brought to their shared role in Divertimento. 

Edited by cobweb

i seem to recall Sara Merns has been doing Swan Lake for over 10 years now and no one is calling for her to be pushed aside. These 3 Juliet’s are perfect for the role. They have been there since the ballet opened in 2007. I also seem to recall Erica Pereira was an apprentice when she did first did the role. The other girls i believe were soloists. Anyway i for one hope these 3 continue to do this role for many many more years. I have seen all 3 girls preforms the role and they all have perfected the role in their own ways. 

49 minutes ago, Dennis1954 said:

i seem to recall Sara Merns has been doing Swan Lake for over 10 years now and no one is calling for her to be pushed aside. These 3 Juliet’s are perfect for the role. They have been there since the ballet opened in 2007. I also seem to recall Erica Pereira was an apprentice when she did first did the role. The other girls i believe were soloists. Anyway i for one hope these 3 continue to do this role for many many more years. I have seen all 3 girls preforms the role and they all have perfected the role in their own ways. 

If I remember correctly Peter Martins wanted very young dancers in the role, as close to Juliet's age as possible. I have always found mature, experienced performers best in the role.

1 hour ago, vipa said:

If I remember correctly Peter Martins wanted very young dancers in the role, as close to Juliet's age as possible.

That's correct. He gave a TV interview (I believe it was during PBS' presentation of the premiere) where he said he wanted the dancers to be able to portray innocence and young love naturally, without having to act.

3 hours ago, Dennis1954 said:

The difference is that Martins  rotated in new SL casts over time = Reichlin, and most recently Megan Fairchild and Tiler Peck.  .     

Edited by abatt

Just noticed that next week's casting has been updated.  Veyette  is replaced in the Fall section of Four Seasons by Catazaro.  That part requires a virtuoso.  Catazaro is a fine dancer in many respects, but  he is no virtuoso.  They should give that part to Huxley.   The casting is particularly lopsided because the other leads in Fall are Bouder and Meija, both of whom are virtuosos. 

Is Alston MacGill out? I haven't seen her in casting recently, and I saw she posted she was injured over the summer.

I have access to the casting the company puts out to the dancers and Alston is cast as "Friends" in R & J in all casts except 2/16, 2/17E, 2/18 ~ I don't know how to attach it :wacko:

1 hour ago, SCchck said:

I have access to the casting the company puts out to the dancers and Alston is cast as "Friends" in R & J in all casts except 2/16, 2/17E, 2/18 ~ I don't know how to attach it :wacko:

Do you have access to the saratoga schedule? Its traditionally out by feb 1 or earlier. Nothing yet.  

On 1/31/2018 at 11:16 AM, abatt said:

Actually, the only lead debut roles for the R&J casts are the two new Romeos, Coll and Walker.  All of the Juliets are repeats from prior seasons.  In fact, Tiler Peck, Sterling Hyltin and Erica Pereira have been doing Juliet since the production debuted in 2007.  Perhaps this will be their last season in the role.  It would be nice to see some new Juliets. 

Agreed. I’m of the mind that R&J should be cast young. Or at least look young. I also think  opportunities should have been given to apprentices or new corps members as they were when NYCB R&J debuted. It interjects so much more excitement. But I suppose the company is not at the point right now to go for broke.