This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2018

I'm hoping I get to see Maria Kowroski in Mozartiana. Has anyone seen her do it? Also looking forward to Tiler Peck as Sanguinic. I'm going to two of the Balanchine programs.

I've also known some dancers who've had ACL repair. There are a few different ways to do it, one involves taking a portion of a ligament from the dancer's hamstring and using it to repair the ACL. The recovery on that is about 10-12 months.

Edited by BalanchineFan
On 1/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, abatt said:

Certainly all the dancers are highly professional.  However, I think part of what drives the high caliber performances at NYCB is a sense of competitiveness, especially at the soloist level.  Now that there is nobody with authority to promote in charge, I'm concerned that go-for-broke performances may not be in the cards at the present moment.  

The name of the game for people who are on the cusp of promotion at the moment is probably to just stay healthy until the next AD arrives.

I also have to wonder how this state of limbo is going to impact programming for next season.

My guess is that everyone has a stake in rallying around the flag to demonstrate that the company remains in solid shape and is dancing well, at least in the short run.  In the longer term, yes, uncertainty is not good.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:34 PM, E Johnson said:

Any ideas for who will be cast in Baiser de la Fee? i haven't' seen it since Boal retired but am considering a revisit this season. 

what i'm looking forward to: my daughter is a j.peck fan and it will be her first time seeing year of the rabbit, which i think is one of his best works.  very interested in her reaction.  and i always enjoy it too. 

Year of the Rabbit is one of my favorite J. Peck pieces, too! I also love Everywhere We Go and Rodeo. Have you seen them?

The dancers whose contracts will not be renewed for next season must be notified by NYCB in February under union rules.  Assuming no new AD is appointed in the next few weeks, are the 4 interim AD's  going to vote amongst themselves as to who will not be coming back?  Or will there be no terminations?  While that idea sounds nice, if nobody leaves there may be no money to offer contracts to apprentices.  

Also, how far in advance do they sign contracts for new choreography and costume designers?  Are the contracts for the Fall 2018 gala already signed, sealed and delivered?  Personally, I'd be happy if the Fall Fashion galas became a thing of the past, but SJP is still on the Board, and those galas are her brainshild.

19 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I've also known some dancers who've had ACL repair. There are a few different ways to do it, one involves taking a portion of a ligament from the dancer's hamstring and using it to repair the ACL. The recovery on that is about 10-12 months.

Sorry, which dancer has had ACL repair? I didn't follow the connection, unless you are referring to Adrian

44 minutes ago, abatt said:

The dancers whose contracts will not be renewed for next season must be notified by NYCB in February under union rules.  Assuming no new AD is appointed in the next few weeks, are the 4 interim AD's  going to vote amongst themselves as to who will not be coming back?  Or will there be no terminations?  While that idea sounds nice, if nobody leaves there may be no money to offer contracts to apprentices.  

I would assume the interim AD’s would make the decision if there isn’t a permanent one. I am not sure of the division of responsibility among the 4 (I doubt anyone really is) though Stafford is the lead. It’s amazing to look at the company’s webpage where they list “Artistic Staff.” No mention of Martins. Not even a “retired” or similar appelation. Founders, Founding Choreographers, Interim Artistic Team (with Stafford having top billing). 

I assume the recent departures of three principals (Fairchild, Scheller, Krohn although Krohn is still working with the company) cleared up some budget for apprentices as apprentice salaries are much lower. Joaquin de Luz's recent Instagram post seems to indicate he is retiring as well. And also, Peter Martins was making quite a hefty salary. He's gone so ... 

39 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Does anyone know how much apprentices get paid? 

Interestingly, this turned up on a Google search -- quite a bit of detail about apprentices from SAB:

"Apprentices are paid the equivalent of a first-year corps member’s salary, which is prorated according to the number of performances danced each week." But what is the pro-ration based on? Is it assumed that all corps members do X number of performances each week?

https://sab.org/winterterm/career_planning/nycb_apprentice_program.php

36 minutes ago, California said:

Interestingly, this turned up on a Google search -- quite a bit of detail about apprentices from SAB:

"Apprentices are paid the equivalent of a first-year corps member’s salary, which is prorated according to the number of performances danced each week." But what is the pro-ration based on? Is it assumed that all corps members do X number of performances each week?

https://sab.org/winterterm/career_planning/nycb_apprentice_program.php

Thank you, that's quite detailed!  I hadn't seen that page before.

A Kowroski debut! So glad she continues to expand her rep. Also, seems that LaFreniere is back in action in week two. I know there are many fans of hers on this thread. Does anyone know what music Peter Walker is using for his new piece? Not sure if it's commissioned from Oliver Davis, or adapted from previously published music?

5 hours ago, abatt said:

Lovely...thank you for posting.

14 hours ago, canbelto said:

The work hasn't debuted yet but ... what is with Peter Walker always naming his pieces in lowercase letters? is he trying to become the ee cummings of choreographers*

*see what I just did there?

This brought to mind a NYT piece from last spring:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/arts/music/where-have-classical-musics-uppercase-letters-gone.html

It seems almost equally common for titles to now be in all caps, e.g. McGregor's AFTERITE (sorry, I can't seem to style it with the red R here :wink:). 

To me, it seems like the creator is yelling, "Hey, look at me -- I'm different!"

Edited by fondoffouettes
36 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

Has anyone seen Lowery’s Choleric?

I have. I generally don't like seeing her in much of anything, and this was no exception. Physically, she's about as far from my ideal dancer as they come. I'm disappointed that I'll be seeing her in it again.

(Though I suppose she's a better fit for Choleric than for, say, the 2nd lead in Tchai Piano #2, which was an even bigger disappointment a year or two ago.)

Edited by nanushka
1 hour ago, yukionna4869 said:

Has anyone seen Lowery’s Choleric?

She was very disappointing in this role last season, and, indeed, in every work I've ever seen her in. (Yes, Tchai Piano Concerto #2 was particularly bad.) I didn't catch her early years at NYCB; did she have more promise back then? Maybe new management will see her with fresh eyes and be able to assess the situation. To be frank, I don't think she dances to a standard of a NYCB soloist. 

Yes, her body type doesn't help. She's looked very out of shape at times, but it's mostly the lackluster, low-impact dancing I have problems with.  

Edited by fondoffouettes