This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter 2018

The show must go on. What are you looking forward to? Personally the all-Balanchine programs of Divertimento/4T's/Chaconne, Baiser/Agon/Duo Concertant/Symph in 3 and Apollo/Mozartiana/Cortege will be wonderful. Also looking forward to Square Dance/Oltremare/Four Seasons and the new Peter Walker ballet. I'll pass on Romeo + Juliet. I wish Year of the Rabbit and Namouna were paired with more appealing ballets.

24 minutes ago, Leah said:

I saw Mearns in Cortege in the fall. I'm surprised by Bouder's casting in that role- if anyone's going to that performance I would love to hear a review!

Also surprised that Bouder is cast in the lead of Cortege.  Casting against type..  

Gina Paz isn't doing the secondary role in Cortege?  She's great in that role. Is she injured??

Edited by abatt
25 minutes ago, abatt said:

Also surprised that Bouder is cast in the lead of Cortege.  Casting against type..  

Bouder probably has more in common with Melissa Hayden than, say, Sara Mearns. Hayden was a ballerina known for her strength and versatility. Her big roles: Stars and Stripes, Firebird, Raymonda Variations, Divertimento #15.

35 minutes ago, abatt said:

Gina Paz isn't doing the secondary role in Cortege?  She's great in that role. Is she injured??

Almost all of her recent Instagram posts have included #aclsurgery and she’s mentioned rehab. Lauren Post of ABT has also documented her recovery from ACL surgery on Instagram, and she didn’t get back on stage for about 10 months. I’m not certain about Pazcoguin’s timeline, though.

It's ironic that Scheller left in June because Martins rarely used her, and now Martins is gone.  We should have had Scheller for the duration of her career here at NYCB.

Nobody has commented on the fact that Megan Fairchild and Andy Veyette are cast in the same ballet (Divertimento).  Has there been a thawing of relations?

52 minutes ago, abatt said:

Nobody has commented on the fact that Megan Fairchild and Andy Veyette are cast in the same ballet (Divertimento).  Has there been a thawing of relations?

I didn’t even notice. I hope that’s the case. 

Megan did post on instagram last spring about dancing with him for that first time since they divorced. 

I found Scheller to dance rather stiff and uninspired. She has beautiful technique and turns but I prefer dancers to dance with passion. She didn't seem to make an effort in that regard, unlike Megan Fairchild, who I find blossomed beautifully in the last few years.

Any ideas for who will be cast in Baiser de la Fee? i haven't' seen it since Boal retired but am considering a revisit this season. 

what i'm looking forward to: my daughter is a j.peck fan and it will be her first time seeing year of the rabbit, which i think is one of his best works.  very interested in her reaction.  and i always enjoy it too. 

On 1/5/2018 at 9:41 AM, canbelto said:

What are you looking forward to? Personally the all-Balanchine programs of Divertimento/4T's/Chaconne, Baiser/Agon/Duo Concertant/Symph in 3 and Apollo/Mozartiana/Cortege will be wonderful. 

I'm looking forward to exactly the same things! I'll be seeing this Saturday's matinee and it will be my first Apollo at NYCB in some years. What are people's general impressions of Tiler Peck as Terpsichore? It's not really a role I can really picture her in, temperament-wise, though I relish seeing Peck in just about anything. I guess I think of Terpsichore as being one of those goddess roles where the ballerina has an aloofness and mystique about her. Or maybe I've just watched that Farrell video too many times...

I can't wait to see Mearns in Mozartiana.  I've been unimpressed with Chase Finlay, so I'm curious to see how her fares (is he just a pretty face?). 

I wasn't very fond of the Cortege choreography when I saw it last season, but the new cast is enough to make me want to stay (more for Bouder than for Veyette). 

46 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I'm looking forward to exactly the same things! I'll be seeing this Saturday's matinee and it will be my first Apollo at NYCB in some years. What are people's general impressions of Tiler Peck as Terpsichore? It's not really a role I can really picture her in, temperament-wise, though I relish seeing Peck in just about anything. I guess I think of Terpsichore as being one of those goddess roles where the ballerina has an aloofness and mystique about her. Or maybe I've just watched that Farrell video too many times...

I can't wait to see Mearns in Mozartiana.  I've been unimpressed with Chase Finlay, so I'm curious to see how her fares (is he just a pretty face?). 

I wasn't very fond of the Cortege choreography when I saw it last season, but the new cast is enough to make me want to stay (more for Bouder than for Veyette). 

I’ve only ever seen Finlay after his injury in 2015, and has been a bit underwhelming. Ive read amazing things about his Apollo, and I hope he brings it. 

5 hours ago, E Johnson said:

Any ideas for who will be cast in Baiser de la Fee? i haven't' seen it since Boal retired but am considering a revisit this season. 

what i'm looking forward to: my daughter is a j.peck fan and it will be her first time seeing year of the rabbit, which i think is one of his best works.  very interested in her reaction.  and i always enjoy it too. 

I know the last time I saw it Tiler Peck and Robert Fairchild did it. That won't be happening anymore obviously ... Megan and Tiler will probably do it with one of their usual partners. 

Given the recent disruptive developments at NYCB, the upcoming season is of greater significance than usual. For my own part, I am extremely confident that the accomplished artists of the company will handle the situation with strength and poise. 

It is unreasonable to expect complete satisfaction with every single casting decision made. That reality notwithstanding, the first week of the season looks fantastic.  

One ballet of particular interest to me is Divertimento No. 15, partly since it has been done only during one season recently. A role in this ballet fits Ashley Laracey like one of the elegant gloves worn by the ladies in La Valse or Vienna Waltzes, so making her return from injury with this work is cause for genuine delight. Otherwise, the cast for the first two performances appears solid—although two ballerinas I particularly crave to see in Divertimento are Brittany Pollack and Unity Phelan. It would also be acutely disappointing not to have Tiler Peck perform in this during the second week of the season.

Certainly all the dancers are highly professional.  However, I think part of what drives the high caliber performances at NYCB is a sense of competitiveness, especially at the soloist level.  Now that there is nobody with authority to promote in charge, I'm concerned that go-for-broke performances may not be in the cards at the present moment.  

The name of the game for people who are on the cusp of promotion at the moment is probably to just stay healthy until the next AD arrives.

I also have to wonder how this state of limbo is going to impact programming for next season.

Edited by abatt

Abatt may be right. But maybe something else will happen. Many of the dancers surely understand the responsibility of this very fraught moment in the company’s history. Perhaps that will energize some performances? Anyway I am looking forward to reports...

Danchig-Waring was an amazing Apollo. However I don't know how he is post- injury as he has danced very little since his return and I did see a Nutcracker with him recently where he was much slower and more effortful of a dancer. So I hope it was just some rustiness and not a permanent decrease of his capabilities.