This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vienna Philharmonic New Year's celebration on PBS

Hugh Bonneville replaces Julie Andrews as the host of From Vienna: The New Year’s Celebration 2018. Pfui.

In addition to performances of waltz favorites like "Tales from the Vienna Woods" and "The Blue Danube," joining the Strauss Family repertoire is music by Alphons Czibulka, whose "Stéphanie-Gavotte" provides the soundtrack to a pas de deux at Emperor Franz Josef's private train station-which was ultimately used just once. This year's other ballet performance features dancers from the Vienna State Ballet waltzing to "Roses from the South" by Johann Strauss II at the Schloss Eckartsau hunting lodge.

Muti conducts this year with the Vienna State Ballet appearing as usual.

Did anyone see this? Being "over here", we of course see the German/Austrian version and  the Austrian broadcasting people are "presenting" it.  Is this shown "live" in the US? It's quite "kitschy"; but I guess that is the idea; get more tourists to come to Austria. :D 

I am finding the dancing bits more and more cringe-worthy as I get older. The dancers are fine, the choreography and attempts at - what? a story-line? - bother me more and more. :P 

My DH is Viennese and therefore this is a must-do for us on New year's day after breakfast.

Actually, I liked it that there were not quite as many martial pieces this time; or perhaps I was not paying attention.  :) 

(who was it who said of playing/conducting Viennese walzes, "...it is not - one-two-three - but more like, one-two and... maybe... three"...?) 

-d-

Hi, diane. I taped it and plan to watch it soon, since I agree it's important to watch on New Year's Day or very soon after. Yes, the program is a bit kitschy but I admit to enjoying that aspect. It also tends to be predictable - marches, polkas, waltzes - but again that's a plus for me; one of the predictable pleasures of the new year, like the Budweiser Clydesdales in the Rose Parade. :)

It's never shown live here as far as I know.

Did anyone else see it?

I tuned in for only about 5 minutes, to be honest, just because I couldn't stay awake after a late New Years Eve. :thumbsup:

But, I've watched the entire program for many years, and have always found it charming. I really enjoyed seeing the beautiful architecture and the street scenes sprinkled throughout the program, as Vienna has been one place I've wanted to go for some time!

The dancing is usually quite good, despite the choreography. 

Maybe they'll replay it so I can catch it again.

2 hours ago, diane said:

It's quite "kitschy"; but I guess that is the idea; get more tourists to come to Austria. :D 

As you may know tix are much sought after and can only be obtained via a lottery. Three years ago my cousin who lives in Vienna got two tix via the lottery and offered it to us and we said no thank you due to the same reason :D:D

2 hours ago, dirac said:

Hi, diane. I taped it and plan to watch it soon, since I agree it's important to watch on New Year's Day or very soon after. Yes, the program is a bit kitschy but I admit to enjoying that aspect. It also tends to be predictable - marches, polkas, waltzes - but again that's a plus for me; one of the predictable pleasures of the new year, like the Budweiser Clydesdales in the Rose Parade. :)

It's never shown live here as far as I know.

Did anyone else see it?

We watch it every year. Three hundred and sixty-four days of the year, it's the other Strauss I love, and I never listen to this one. On New Year's Day, coming from the Musikverin, I find this one delightful. Except for the dancing which strikes us as . . . kitschy?

The old Karajan recordings of J. Strauss and the other J. Strauss, his brother, are splendid and worth a listen any time of the year.

This program is also broadcast over the radio, I believe.

I like to see the Vienna State Ballet get some major airtime, but I admit there are times when I'd just as soon watch the orchestra instead......

The other Strauss - meaning Richard? Yes, sometimes there are some other things; even R.Strauss, but not often. This one is for publicity, after all. :) 

Karajan - yes. Yes. 

It is a Tradition (with a captial "T") for us to watch the Neujahrskonzert here... and at midnight of the first of January to listen to the Donauwalzer and dance around the room precariously holding a glass of Sekt. 

-d- 

10 minutes ago, diane said:

The other Strauss - meaning Richard? Yes, sometimes there are some other things; even R.Strauss, but not often. This one is for publicity, after all. :) 

You don't think they'll be playing Verklärte Nacht any year soon? I live in hope!
44 minutes ago, kfw said:
You don't think they'll be playing Verklärte Nacht any year soon? I live in hope!

Schoenberg at this concert? Heaven forfend. 

The other Strauss - meaning Richard? Yes, sometimes there are some other things; even R.Strauss, but not often. This one is for publicity, after all.

Yes - in the past I seem to remember excerpts from Der Rosenkavalier, which would fit right in.

This year was even more reliant on the warhorses - "Roses from the South" and "Tales of the Vienna Woods," as well as the traditional first encore, "On the Beautiful Blue Danube." Riccardo Muti kissed the hand of the lady who played the zither for TVW.

The cameramen seemed to assume we are fascinated by chandeliers and pillars, as usual......

On 1/2/2018 at 10:16 AM, diane said:

Did anyone see this? Being "over here", we of course see the German/Austrian version and  the Austrian broadcasting people are "presenting" it.  Is this shown "live" in the US? It's quite "kitschy"; but I guess that is the idea; get more tourists to come to Austria. :D 

I am finding the dancing bits more and more cringe-worthy as I get older. The dancers are fine, the choreography and attempts at - what? a story-line? - bother me more and more. :P 

My DH is Viennese and therefore this is a must-do for us on New year's day after breakfast.

Actually, I liked it that there were not quite as many martial pieces this time; or perhaps I was not paying attention.  :) 

(who was it who said of playing/conducting Viennese walzes, "...it is not - one-two-three - but more like, one-two and... maybe... three"...?) 

-d-

My father still watches this program (here in the U.S.) each New Year's - in the evening. I think it's mainly because HIS parents loved waltz music (and opera). My father still supports opera, but I'm pretty sure he only really listens to these waltz classics at this one time of the year. The broadcast does indeed feel very kitschy and 'touristy'. But I'm sure if there was a way to compare the performance from, say, 1935 with 2017, we would notice quite a few differences in the presentation and interpretation of the music/dance.

I think it's funny that Hugh Bonneville is now hosting this kind of show - as if he were a pillar of Old World values and tradition. ;)