This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gomes and ABT

rg

This is good news. At lest he's beginning to perform again.   Organizations with  whom he's recently worked,  such as The Washington Ballet and now the Sarasota Ballet are sticking by him.    I hope there is soon more to come so he can continue to dance on!

On 2/16/2018 at 10:59 AM, theo said:

This is good news. At lest he's beginning to perform again.   Organizations with  whom he's recently worked,  such as The Washington Ballet and now the Sarasota Ballet are sticking by him.    I hope there is soon more to come so he can continue to dance on!

It's great - as long as those organizations have done their due diligence and nothing comes back to bite them since we still have no idea what ABT discovered. 

Maybe he was angry at public betrayal or how they dealt with it when he was their money maker and said screw you  and I won't work there anymore and I owe you nothing

Maybe he knew anything he says will be used against him

maybe He knew an internal instigation would find no hr report and he was angry for what they did to him knowing that and left to find someone who appreciated him 

maybe he didn't want to work for people who could have resolved a problem simply or privately

maybe fans don't know and it's not their business.

Or maybe somebody did it because they thought they stood to gain something from his departure.   This is what came into my mind the moment I heard the news back in December.  I mean no disrespect to anybody that may have suffered abuse, misconduct or discrimination at the hands of another, but this to me has smelled bad from the start.

This is just my opinion, and no I don’t know all the facts.  There are probably few who do, and I agree that it’s really nobody’s business at this point.  Marcelo is a human being with a magnificent talent.  He is not public property simply because the public pays to see him dance.

I am very glad to see that he has begun to reemerge.    I wish him all the best.  If he chooses to open up about that facts, or lack of them, I will be listening.

What came into my mind is that maybe someone was trying to blackmail either Marcelo or ABT or both by going public with a  negative, damaging  story.  Fascinating that nobody has actually come forward to tell their  story  about Marcelo to the media. Perhaps the resignation essentially squelched the story.

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, abatt said:

What came into my mind is that maybe someone was trying to blackmail either Marcelo or ABT or both by going public with a  negative, damaging  story.  Fascinating that nobody has actually come forward to tell their  story  about Marcelo to the media. Perhaps the resignation essentially squelched the story.

I agree. I wouldn't be quick to assume ABT wronged Marcelo when this issue came up. This may have been a best-case scenario for Marcelo -- the story indeed seems to be squelched and there have been no apparent legal repercussions. Whether any payout was involved, we may never know.

I haven't really followed this topic very closely, but I believe that I somewhat get the gist of it.

I always liked Marcelo Gomes, both on stage (Very Much!) and the few times that I had a chance to briefly talk to him at receptions. Having seen him give a very fine performance at the Mariinsky last night I think about how this all seems so sad.

I hope that his 'situation' is resolved as fairly, justly and compassionately as possible.

Edited by Buddy
On 12/24/2017 at 5:13 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Well, McKenzie might take a look across the plaza ... 

In a recent review of one of NYCB's falls season Swan Lake performances, Leigh Witchel suggested that Chase Finlay might find ABT's repertory more congenial to his talents than NYCB's:

" Finlay’s obvious success in the role raises questions. His Siegfried is indeed a confirmation that his real repertory isn’t at NYCB. It’s ballet’s princes and heroes: Siegfried, Désiré, Albrecht.

Those roles aren’t just more congenial, but safer. Finlay’s not a pyrotechnician; he’s a strong dancer and got through his variation in the Black Swan pas with no trouble, but that’s the edge of his comfort zone. The way Martins constantly pushes for harder, crazier phrases taxed and injured him. The dude is a prince – in a company that doesn’t really need them."

I don't know if a permanent slot on the roster would suit either Finlay or ABT, but he might be a suitable guest Prince in he interim. 

Sorry to dig up an old post but watching Finlay this spring season (and some clips of his dancing in SL) I felt almost the same as Witchel. His upper body carriage is very distinctively danseur noble, compared to most other NYCB male principals. His proportions and looks are very princely on stage (some may say off the stage as well). But to me his legs aren't quite up to some of the challenges in the NYCB rep, including Balanchine.

On 12/26/2017 at 12:18 AM, cubanmiamiboy said:

It is painful to look at that page full of great mementos from his professional life. He would had had a Grand finale at ABT.

I consider myself lucky to have been present at his 20-Year anniversary performance. At least he has that moment.

On 1/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, jessa_sissonne said:

Has anyone seen Marcelo’s movie? I see it’s playing at Film Forum in New York. 

I saw this film way back in the winter of 2016-2017 as part of a Dance on Camera film series at Lincoln Center. Many of his ABT colleagues were in attendance that night. It follows Gomes around the world as he guests with different companies and dancers. As I recall, the film worked because Gomes became very comfortable with the presence of filmmakers, as they went through this long process of getting the film off the ground and during the actual shooting, and thus was able to relax in front of the camera almost at all times, letting many sides of his personality shine through naturally. One thread in the film is his somewhat strained relationship with his father, who at that point had not yet come to NY to see Gomes dance at the Met since he joined the company (if I recall correctly). But I thought there was a bit of a forced drama and sentimentality with that story-line. At the Q&A afterwards, though, Gomes said he still hadn't got word from his dad that he would come to New York that Summer.  Overall it was great to see some good-quality footage of him performing on stage, as well as to feel his genuine warmth, adorable sense of humor and total lack of ego coming through the screen.

He is currently with Semperoper Ballet Dresden as a principal dancer and ballet master.

With the 2020/21 season, he was contracted as Principal Dancer and Ballet Master with the Semperoper Ballett. Having been appointed the Artistic Advisor of the company in the course of the 2022/23 season, Marcelo Gomes is co-leading the Semperoper Ballett as Artistic Manager together with Company Manager Adi Luick during the 2023/24 season. (Last updated: 2023)

See the link below for details,

Marcelo Gomes Official Website
https://www.marcelogomes.co/

Dresden SemperOper Ballett Official Website
https://www.semperoper.de/en/ensemble/personen/peid/marcelo-gomes/5939.html