This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gomes and ABT

rg

This has just been sent out by ABT:

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Statement from Andrew F. Barth, Chairman,

Ballet Theatre Foundation Board of Governing Trustees

It is with sadness that I inform you Principal Dancer Marcelo Gomes has resigned from American Ballet Theatre, effective immediately.

Last Saturday, ABT was made aware of a highly concerning allegation of sexual misconduct by Mr. Gomes, occurring approximately eight years ago. ABT took immediate action, and initiated an independent investigation conducted by the law firm of Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP. Amid the investigation, Mr. Gomes put forth his resignation.

ABT does not tolerate the alleged behavior. As it has been reported to us, the allegation does not involve any current or former members of the ABT community, aside from Mr. Gomes, and did not occur in relation to his employment duties with the Company.

I am profoundly disheartened by this matter. We will continue to work hard to ensure that our employees embody the values that have made ABT one of the world’s greatest dance companies for nearly 80 years. 

18 minutes ago, California said:

This happened so fast that they haven't even removed him from the list of dancers on their web site or casting for the Met season. I'm as stunned as everyone else, I suspect.

His casting for the Met is now "TBA." He's still scheduled to choreograph for Washington Ballet next spring. I wouldn't be surprised if his retirement performance is in Russia with Vishneva. 

This is horrible.  I have no idea what Marcelo did that led to this result.  However, if someone does something bad that has nothing to do with his employment or any former or present employee of the company, why does ABT feel that it needs to be the enforcer of Marcelo's punishment for this purported bad act.  If there was criminality, then the criminal justice system should be utilized.  If it was a civil wrong, then the person(s_ involved should bring a civil suit against him.   Who appointed ABT judge and jury of wrongs unrelated to his employment?

What a sad day for Marcelo and ABT.

Edited by abatt
36 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Wow. I'm stunned. I can't even imagine ABT without him. And he had a reputation as the ultimate company dancer, beloved by all.

I'm not even a ABT fanatic, but I'm still sad for all  involved. "Beloved" is the word. 

Just now, abatt said:

I also cannot imagine ABT without Marcelo.  He is one of the very few male dancers I'm interested in seeing at ABT.  This is horrible for Marcelo and for his audience. 

Also horrible for Murphy, who was scheduled to do Giselle and R&J with him, as well as Teuscher, who was down for two SLs. 

16 minutes ago, canbelto said:

It sounds as if Marcelo voluntarily resigned rather than go through the investigation, so I am assuming the charges were very serious.

Yes, but as Abatt points out, our legal system has both criminal and civil remedies that the victim could have pursued, especially as this had nothing to do with his employment at ABT. I'm noticing that instagram accounts from friends like Abrera and Murphy are quiet today.  They're probably stunned, too.

2 hours ago, California said:

Yes, but as Abatt points out, our legal system has both criminal and civil remedies that the victim could have pursued, especially as this had nothing to do with his employment at ABT. I'm noticing that instagram accounts from friends like Abrera and Murphy are quiet today.  They're probably stunned, too.

Right now, all we know is this press release, but it does sound as if he made a choice to leave. 

That's true.  None of the men at ABT on the roster can adequately fill his spots.

I hope Marcelo thought hard before he resigned, and also sought legal advice.  It would be tragic if he was forced to make a hasty decision to resign without proper legal consultation.  I truly hope that he gets his full pension and benefits from ABT after 20 years of stellar service, and that some other organization or group hires him.

Edited by abatt
10 minutes ago, sandik said:

Right now, all we know is this press release, but it does sound as if he made a choice to leave. 

Yes, but unless and until there is a more expansive statement from ABT or Gomes, we don't know the circumstances. It's not hard to imagine someone in that situation being offended that his employer decided to investigate a situation which they themselves said had nothing to do with his employment. It's also not hard to imagine someone in that situation being worried that details would emerge in the investigation which would be more embarrassing than the resignation or that would uncover other things ABT didn't know about. Etc., etc. This story is showing up on Google-alerts, but all the on-line papers seem to be repeating the same information as the original release.

It's also not hard to imagine that he was given an ultimatum to resign with his full pension and benefits unharmed, or be terminated with all the risks that might entail for his earnings and reputation.  This entire thing seems to have unfolded with breathtaking speed.

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

I hope . . .  that some other organization or group hires him.

On Instagram recently, he dropped a hint that he would be performing Swan Lake with the Matthew Bourne company in London in 2018 and dates would be announced later.  I wonder what pressure Julie Kent is under to cancel his choreography commission? According to his Instagram, he's already started working with Washington Ballet.

19 minutes ago, sandik said:

Maybe he was so offended at ABT giving credence to the allegation that he left in disgust. I agree with abatt that our justice system should have handled any wrongdoing, it is not ABT's place to be judge and jury. 

Edited by Fleurfairy

I want to believe that he resigned because he was upset that they would start an investigation or because he didn’t want a cloud hanging over the spring season if allegations were made public, and that he is now doing the work behind the scenes to clear his name and reputation. I don’t want to believe that he is capable of whatever it is that is being alleged. He is so loved and is such a role model for so many young dancers. 

I think there are plenty of possible explanations we can come up with, but unless/until he makes a statement, or there is other official news, they shouldn't be posted here.

What we know officially so far is:

1. Someone notified ABT something concerning Gomes that had ABT concerned enough to start an investigation.

2. It didn't involve ABT co-workers.

3. He resigned.

20 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

This is the one time I’m in favor of guest artists.  No one in the company can fill his spots.

I'd be in favor of Hoven being assigned one or two of his spots (it would certainly be bittersweet for Hoven, who seems to be very good friends with Gomes, based on their Instagram accounts). While I didn't catch his Sylvia or recent Nutcracker in Costa Mesa, his physique and technique have undergone a dramatic transformation in recent seasons. And he can partner tall women. But please, no more Hammoudi.

Edited by fondoffouettes