This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peter Martins Sexual Harassment Allegations

23 minutes ago, Suereview said:

Nothing would make me happier than to have Suzanne Farrell back at NYCB.  So many possibilities.  I think that Damien Woetzel might also be a good choice. Looking forward to hearing other suggestions!

I had my doubts about Martins during his first years, but over the past dozen years or so, I think NYCB has developed deep deep talent through-out the ranks. Financially the company seems to be on solid ground. I don't know how much this is Martins doing but he has to have had something to do with it. I think Woetzel would be too much of an explorer for my taste. I don't know how much he'd honor the Balanchine rep. If we're talking about Woetzel - how about Heather Watts? Of course Suzanne being back there would be wonderful.

All of this is premature. All there is so far in an anonymous letter. In this climate institutions have to be fast to jump on everything.

Poor Darci Kistler!

In recent interviews, two former City Ballet dancers and three former students at the school described a culture in which Mr. Martins was known for sleeping with dancers, some of whom received better roles because of their personal relationships with him.

What interviews are these? The article doesn't make them seem like they are part of the investigation (since they mention there has been no substantiating evidence a few times), but I haven't heard of or read any recent interviews with former NYCB dancers or SAB students that have mentioned this. Any insight?

Edited by wonderwall
16 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Wendy Whelan.  

Wendy Whelan wouldn't my first choice, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have a woman? Suzanne Farrell & Lordes Lopez have experience running a company. Heather Watts has a big hand in Vail and has developed some knowledge about productions. 

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of who would honor the history and rep and also be forward looking.

1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

What interviews are these? The article doesn't make them seem like they are part of the investigation (since they mention there has been no substantiating evidence a few times), but I haven't heard of or read any recent interviews with former NYCB dancers or SAB students that have mentioned this. Any insight?

This article mentions a dancer named Wilhelmina Frankfurt that made some comments about Martins. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ballet-chief-peter-martins-under-investigation-after-sexual-harassment-allegations/2017/12/04/a474eae6-d3a3-11e7-a986-d0a9770d9a3e_story.html?utm_term=.a29afbac8521

33 minutes ago, Marta said:

However, an anonymous letter does not seem to have much weight.  

I had the same feeling about the anonymous letter, which is described as "making general, non-specific allegations." One wonders, then, what made it compelling enough to pursue a serious investigation. Every organization feels extra pressure to do their due diligence in investigating sexual misconduct allegations these days (which I think is a very good thing), but I feel as if we're only getting part of the story here.

1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

I assumed that the NYT recently conducted these interviews with former dancers and students (who spoke on condition of anonymity). But usually, the NYT is much more explicit in describing how they've gathered corroborating information from anonymous sources. This "in recent interviews" feels very vague. They really should clarify to whom these sources spoke.

1 hour ago, vipa said:

Poor Darci Kistler!

Maybe, or maybe not. It's impossible to know the dynamic of their marriage and how this may be impacting her. I'll admit that my opinions of her are shaded by the nepotism that allowed her to dance far beyond the point when she should have been onstage.

Edited by fondoffouettes

It appears to be more than an anonymous letter according to the Times –

As part of the investigation, Mr. Martins is believed to have discussed romantic relationships he has had with female dancers, according to a former official at City Ballet with knowledge of the investigation who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Rob Daniels, a spokesman for City Ballet, said that since 2010 it “has had a policy precluding a reporting relationship between a supervisor and subordinate where a romantic relationship exists."

Along those lines, Jed Bernstein was forced out last year as president of Lincoln Center — which has such a policy — after an anonymous complaint revealed that he had been involved in a consensual relationship with a woman who worked for him, and whom he had twice promoted.

In recent interviews, two former City Ballet dancers and three former students at the school described a culture in which Mr. Martins was known for sleeping with dancers, some of whom received better roles because of their personal relationships with him.

The interviews may have been part of the internal invetigation at City Ballet. The Times should clarify that.

But the implication is that granting romantic favors to the boss yielded better parts in a fiercely competitive environment. 

Added:

The Washington Post fills in some details -

In a recent interview, Wilhelmina Frankfurt, a former NYCB dancer, said she was among the SAB alumni called in to meet with SAB Executive Director Carrie W. Hinrichs shortly before Thanksgiving to discuss the anonymous sexual harassment allegations. She said she was contacted after Hinrichs saw an article Frankfurt wrote in 2012, which Frankfurt recently posted on Facebook...

Frankfurt said Hinrichs told her, “It’s come to our attention that there’s been sexual misconduct on a very high level at our school.” Frankfurt said that the investigative team includes Kay Mazzo, co-chair of faculty; SAB Chairman Barbara M. Vogelstein; and a lawyer and that the team is seeking dancers who have knowledge of misconduct.

Edited by Quiggin
4 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I had the same feeling about the anonymous letter, which is described as "making general, non-specific allegations." One wonders, then, what made it compelling enough to pursue a serious investigation. Every organization feels extra pressure to do their due diligence in investigating sexual misconduct allegations these days (which I think is a very good thing), but I feel as if we're only getting part of the story here.

I assumed that the NYT recently conducted these interviews with former dancers and students (who spoke on condition of anonymity). But usually, the NYT is much more explicit in describing how they've gathered corroborating information from anonymous sources. This "in recent interviews" felt very vague. They really should clarify to whom these sources spoke.

Maybe, or maybe not. It's impossible to know the dynamic of their marriage and how this may be impacting her. I'll admit that my opinions of her are shaded by the nepotism that allowed her to dance far beyond the point when she should have been onstage.

I'm not sure that was total nepotism. IMO in ABT Julie Kent danced far too long. I'm not sure what factors contribute to such things but ticket sales may be a factor.

Another hat in the ring for director - Jennifer Ringer.

20 minutes ago, vipa said:

Another hat in the ring for director - Jennifer Ringer.

Yes! As much as I would like to see NYCB mend ties with Farrell and have her stage Balanchine ballets, I'd like to see the company look to a generation that didn't work directly with Mr. B (yet would still respect the legacy). Ringer seems very smart and well-liked.

Anyone but Benjamin Millepied, please! And no other B-list (or worse) choreographers for that matter.

I have no sense of which former dancers are natural managers/leaders, though.

Wildcard: What about Ratmansky? He's created some of his best plotless ballets for NYCB. And certainly he could sweep aside Martins' awful full-lengths. I'm not sure how much of his time is occupied by his contract with ABT, though, or what other restrictions that arrangement may impose.

Edited by fondoffouettes

Jon Stafford

Jock Soto

edit: for AD/ballet master in chief. if it’s not gonna be Farrell, I would prefer someone who likes to teach. 

Also, if Martins were to depart, I wonder if this would allow City Ballet to at least mend some old fences and lead to some Balanchine ballets returning to the rep. 

Edited by yukionna4869
1 hour ago, sandik said:

My response to this is pretty much the same as it's been to most of the other revelations -- I'm sad, but not surprised.

For me there has been a dark cloud  hanging over Martin since the dropped domestic violence charges early in the Martins-Kistler marriage. No judgments or proof of anything, just a sense  of foreboding for years.