This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2017

5 hours ago, California said:

She posted this just 12 hours ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BclLbjRhXsI/?taken-by=saramearns

If I hadn't heard from others here that she voluntarily gave up the role, I could have definitely read this as the role being taken away from her before she was ready to leave it, and that she has had to make peace with that. Also, it's true that she rarely says she dances a piece well, so that could make it appear that she's arguing she's still capable to dance Dewdrop. In any case, it's interesting to see a dancer publicly talk about retiring a role. Based on what others have said, it seems she just appears to be reminiscing. 

Moved from another thread:

If I hadn't heard from others here that she voluntarily gave up the role, I could have definitely read this as the role being taken away from her before she was ready to leave it, and that she has had to make peace with that. Also, it's true that she rarely says she dances a piece well, so that could make it appear that she's arguing she's still capable to dance Dewdrop. In any case, it's interesting to see a dancer publicly talk about retiring a role. Based on what others have said, it seems she just appears to be reminiscing. 

Hmm I've seen Mearns in Dewdrop and other roles and I definitely think that after her big injury a couple of years ago jumps became more of an issue with her and so I could see her having the role retired for her (whether it was her choice or not is unclear). But Mearns has carved out such a big part of the repertoire for herself anyway.  I saw her as Sugarplum Fairy this year and while it had some of the extravagant mannerisms she definitely had a majesty and grandeur that was very special.

In other news, anyone noticed how Bouder has been cast as Dewdrop a bunch but no longer as SPF this season?

On 12/12/2017 at 5:28 PM, cobweb said:

I wonder what aspects of Dewdrop were considered beyond Mearns' ability at this point. 

If anyone sees Lauren Lovette's debut as Dewdrop tonight, please report. 

I was there last night. I love her radiance in general but I feel as though every time I've seen her perform she has made a technical mistake. She fell out once or twice out of the fouettes but otherwise I believe her debut was respectable.

6 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Final week of Nutcracker casting is up. There are no debuts. I feel like there was a lack of debuts this run overall, but maybe they just wanted to keep things consistent amidst everything?

http://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_Dec-26-31,-2017_lobby.pdf

There have been a few. Indiana Woodward, Claire Kretzschmar and Miriam Miller are making their Dewdrop debuts. Roman Mejia just got accepted into the corps and is dancing Tea. Some Coffee debuts too. 

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

There have been a few. Indiana Woodward, Claire Kretzschmar and Miriam Miller are making their Dewdrop debuts. Roman Mejia just got accepted into the corps and is dancing Tea. Some Coffee debuts too. 

Agree. There haven't been any surprise or compelling casting choices this year. I guess management just wanted to "stay the course" during the company turmoil. 

3 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

Agree. There haven't been any surprise or compelling casting choices this year. I guess management just wanted to "stay the course" during the company turmoil. 

Also the company just several new soloists (Gerrity, Woodward, Phelan) and two new male principals (Janzen and Catazaro) and they have to be given their slot of roles. 

23 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

Sad not to see a repeat of Isabella LaFreniere’s Dewdrop. I haven’t attended any of the Nutcrackers this season. I don’t think she’s been been cast in any other featured role either. 

For those that have gone, was she in the corps? I hope she’s not injured. 

She was one of the flowers last night. But I think she's coming back from a bad injury because last year she was set to make her debut in Firebird and had to withdraw and didn't dance the spring or fall season.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:49 AM, canbelto said:

I was there last night. Mearns as SPF, Jared Angle as the Cavalier, Sterling Hyltin just resplendant as Dewdrop. Spartak Hoxha killed it as Tea, but I'm confident Roman Mejia will do the same. I don't see Isabelle LaFreniere listed anywhere, not even in the Snowflakes or in Waltz of the Flowers.

I was surprised they didn't do any curtain calls in front of the curtain, but it makes complete sense. The families aren't there for the adult casts.

Edited by BalanchineFan

BalanchineFan, I was at yesterday's matinee with my family and am happy to report that Roman Mejia did indeed "kill" it as Tea.  His jumps were spectacular and garnered a hearty round of applause.  We have much to look forward to in his future performances.   And Teresa Reichlen was a lovely Dewdrop.

40 minutes ago, bobbi said:

BalanchineFan, I was at yesterday's matinee with my family and am happy to report that Roman Mejia did indeed "kill" it as Tea.  His jumps were spectacular and garnered a hearty round of applause.  We have much to look forward to in his future performances.   And Teresa Reichlen was a lovely Dewdrop.

How were Isaacs and Suozzi (making his debut)?

Ivy, I would call Ashly and Sean's effort a nice first effort together.  He was an attentive partner.  During the first two variations which, post-McBride -- the turns into arabesque penchees -- are now taken so you can see the mechanics -- were taken at an extremely glacial pace.  Sean was a bit too far from Ashly,  She did not come to grief but it was more on the side of "white knuckle" than "great drama."  But Ashly has lots to her dancing that I like, that is, musicality, good attack, and she knows she is performing.  At the very end of the entire variation she almost ended up face down but Sean made it right.

19 minutes ago, bobbi said:

Ivy, I would call Ashly and Sean's effort a nice first effort together.  He was an attentive partner.  During the first two variations which, post-McBride -- the turns into arabesque penchees -- are now taken so you can see the mechanics -- were taken at an extremely glacial pace.  Sean was a bit too far from Ashly,  She did not come to grief but it was more on the side of "white knuckle" than "great drama."  But Ashly has lots to her dancing that I like, that is, musicality, good attack, and she knows she is performing.  At the very end of the entire variation she almost ended up face down but Sean made it right.

I saw Isaac's SPF two years ago and she came to grief in those pique turns-to-arabesque-penchee. She sort of pitched forward on each one and had to be pulled back to prevent a disaster. She's a good dancer in the right roles but her SPF was definitely lacking in magic. Part of it I think is her stage persona is so straightforward -- like a sunny cheerleader. I wanted to see her Dewdrop this year but she cancelled the performance I had tickets to and Megan Lecrone went on instead.

I managed to snag a standing room ticket for the 5pm performance and so glad I did. What a great show. It would be hard to overstate how much I love the Waltz of the Snowflakes. But a complaint about the late seating that comes during some of the most beautiful music in the show. They let tons of people in during the scene break after the Christmas party - during the lovely violin solo. People straggling to their seats, and others checking phones and whispering. So annoying. There was a casting change announcement but so quiet I could not hear it. I notice India Bradley did not dance Harlequin as scheduled. Can anyone tell me who was the replacement? I thought perhaps Mimi Staker. Any other replacements announced?

Hyltin was a lovely confection, precise, beautiful, and super sweet. This is a great role for her. The big pique-chaine sequence was huge uninhibited and blazing fast. Danchig-Waring is always a paragon of form and commitment, so no complaints, but the partnering was awkward and anxious during those arabesque penchees and overall I’ve seen better performances from him. Meagan Mann and Lydia Wellington are the most beautiful Flowers you could ever hope to see. Great to see the beaming smile of Isabella laFreniere in Flowers and can’t wait to see more of her. Ashly Isaacs has the technique in spades for Dewdrop. Just needs a little more magic. 

PS. Canbelto, you must be approaching some Nutcracker record. 

Edited by cobweb
7 hours ago, cobweb said:

Hyltin was a lovely confection, precise, beautiful, and super sweet. This is a great role for her. The big pique-chaine sequence was huge uninhibited and blazing fast. Danchig-Waring is always a paragon of form and commitment, so no complaints, but the partnering was awkward and anxious during those arabesque penchees and overall I’ve seen better performances from him. Meagan Mann and Lydia Wellington are the most beautiful Flowers you could ever hope to see. Great to see the beaming smile of Isabella laFreniere in Flowers and can’t wait to see more of her. Ashly Isaacs has the technique in spades for Dewdrop. Just needs a little more magic. 

PS. Canbelto, you must be approaching some Nutcracker record. 

I totally am. :lol: It's definitely my own record. I'm "justifying" it by saying that I didn't go to Nutcracker Rouge or anything else really in December so ... :unsure: