susanger

Shostakovich's The Gadfly Suite

Has this music ever been used for ballet, either the entire suite (40 mins) or selected movements? The Gadfly story may not be the best for a ballet but the music -- even I could choreograph to it.

There may well be other examples, but this is the relatively recent one that came to my mind (well, I didn't exactly remember...I had to double check)--part of the Shostakovich assemblage Maillot put together for the Taming of the Shrew he created for the Bolshoi:

Edited by Drew

On 11/24/2017 at 10:24 AM, susanger said:

Has this music ever been used for ballet, either the entire suite (40 mins) or selected movements? The Gadfly story may not be the best for a ballet but the music -- even I could choreograph to it.

I know this is months after the question was originally posed, but when messing about on youtube this morning I discovered that Messerer uses the Gadfly music in Class Concert --a ballet I'm pretty sure I've watched on video before, but still I had not remembered earlier... I think the guilty pleasures in Class Concert come in the more bravura sections of the choreography, but here is this more lyrical bit:

Edited by Drew